Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2015, 22:39   #46
BHPian
 
vsrivatsa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 657
Thanked: 521 Times
Default Re: Stay-Kool Micro coating on Glass. Alternative to Sunfilm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by triedeverything View Post
The VLT (visible light transmittance) that the Supreme Court specified is 70%. The VLT after treatment is between 85 and 87%. So that should give you an idea of how clear it is. At the same time, the IR radiation reduction is comparable with that of the VKool 90. He didn't bring a thermometer to check temperature, but the brochure says that heat passed through plain glass will cause iron plates (after 60 seconds of exposure to 375W IR lamp) to get to 66.0 degree Celsius, while a SK treated glass will only allow the temperature to reach 35.2 degree Celsius.
Thanks for the Info. I am keen to get this done but as you called out would like to evaluate if the "haze" is acceptable by seeing the effect on a car for which the coating is already done. Let me know if a demo gets scheduled.
vsrivatsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2015, 00:20   #47
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 59
Thanked: 26 Times
Default

I was interested in getting this done for the glass doors in my house, as there are enough panes to have a bit of a greenhouse effect, but looking at the rates you guys have paid, 18k for a Fortuner....
That's going to escalate to forbidding costs if it's done on a residential scale. 😲
sleepyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2015, 07:24   #48
Senior - BHPian
 
cooldude1988765's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,005
Thanked: 106 Times
Default Re: Stay-Kool Micro coating on Glass. Alternative to Sunfilm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyk View Post
I was interested in getting this done for the glass doors in my house, as there are enough panes to have a bit of a greenhouse effect, but looking at the rates you guys have paid, 18k for a Fortuner....
That's going to escalate to forbidding costs if it's done on a residential scale. 😲
They have separate prices for buildings. Let me know if you need a direct contact with the Pan India Importer.
cooldude1988765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2015, 11:20   #49
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 59
Thanked: 26 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldude1988765 View Post
They have separate prices for buildings. Let me know if you need a direct contact with the Pan India Importer.
Hi
I've talked to my father about this, and will let you know once he decides how to go forward.
Thanks!
sleepyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2015, 12:32   #50
Distinguished - BHPian
 
condor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Speed-brkr City
Posts: 10,736
Thanked: 4,312 Times
Default Re: Stay-Kool Micro coating on Glass. Alternative to Sunfilm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
Pictures continued...2
The cars look covered so much better than the people doing the work ! The workers get only a surgical mask ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by triedeverything View Post
He's quoted 10K for the 6 sides. If he gets 10 cars, he's willing to give a better price.
Any luck with this ? Any idea about how much discount he is willing to give ?
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2015, 12:53   #51
BHPian
 
triedeverything's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 492
Thanked: 163 Times
Default Re: Stay-Kool Micro coating on Glass. Alternative to Sunfilm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post

Any luck with this ? Any idea about how much discount he is willing to give ?
With Bangalore summer this year being extra cool, we didn't feel the 'heat' to pursue this with the agent immediately. Besides, some of us were a little skeptical on the workmanship. He also didn't follow up with us... so we were wondering if he's serious in his business or not. He said he was willing to negotiate if he had enough customers. Can pass on his number to you if interested.
triedeverything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2015, 22:40   #52
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 62
Thanked: 39 Times
Default Re: Stay-Kool Micro coating on Glass. Alternative to Sunfilm?

I have gotten this done for my car about an year back and I should say it makes a difference. Noticeable with the (previous gen) swift's poor AC. It should give better results with other cars which have more powerful ACs. Just don't have overtly high expectations.

The dealer is question does his job dilligently, using quality materials for cleaning the windows, taping them, spraying the solution which coats in the proportion specified by the manufacturer, etc. I don't see him trying to cut corners. He is also willing to rework if there is a problem.

I had an issue with one of the glasses and it was reworked by him. It is a process which needs patience and skill from the person doing the job since it isn't as simple as installing a sunfilm.

I also understand that the costs involved are high with very little or no margins. Rework would take away even that. That's probably the reason why most people who had taken up dealership seem to have exited.

I will try to send some pics in a day or two. Lets see if that helps.
DDIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2015, 10:04   #53
BHPian
 
triedeverything's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 492
Thanked: 163 Times
Default Re: Stay-Kool Micro coating on Glass. Alternative to Sunfilm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDIS View Post

I had an issue with one of the glasses and it was reworked by him.
What was the issue? Could you give more details? He did say that the spray creates a chemical reaction which is almost permanent.

If he's reworking it, it's commendable. It's also clearly not as simple as using a sun film. He says it takes a day to do a large vehicle.

But coming from a six sigma background, the thought that runs through my head is "what do you think could have ensured that it was done once - correctly?"

The other apprehension was the polish that was to be applied after the coat is dry. He says that is not needed. And besides, it's not even available. So is it not needed because it is not available? Was it done on your car?
triedeverything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2015, 19:26   #54
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 62
Thanked: 39 Times
Default Re: Stay-Kool Micro coating on Glass. Alternative to Sunfilm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by triedeverything View Post
What was the issue? Could you give more details? He did say that the spray creates a chemical reaction which is almost permanent.

If he's reworking it, it's commendable. It's also clearly not as simple as using a sun film. He says it takes a day to do a large vehicle.

But coming from a six sigma background, the thought that runs through my head is "what do you think could have ensured that it was done once - correctly?"

The other apprehension was the polish that was to be applied after the coat is dry. He says that is not needed. And besides, it's not even available. So is it not needed because it is not available? Was it done on your car?
Sorry haven't logged in since then.

Issue was with dust in the atmosphere. Got miixed with the spray and made visibility a problem.

It certainly isn't as simple as sticking a sunfilm on. Its labour and skill intensive.

I don't think there is one answer to your question. The most common cause in this is dust in the atmosphere. It could also be due to less then perfect cleaning, which I guess will be rare. Apparently, he has tried painting in various car garage paint booths. Even there, dust has been an issue at times.

No polish was applied. Its just the sun protective coating that was applied.

Hope this helps.
DDIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2016, 15:51   #55
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 62
Thanked: 39 Times
Default Re: Stay-Kool Micro coating on Glass. Alternative to Sunfilm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDIS View Post
Sorry haven't logged in since then.

Issue was with dust in the atmosphere. Got miixed with the spray and made visibility a problem.

It certainly isn't as simple as sticking a sunfilm on. Its labour and skill intensive.

I don't think there is one answer to your question. The most common cause in this is dust in the atmosphere. It could also be due to less then perfect cleaning, which I guess will be rare. Apparently, he has tried painting in various car garage paint booths. Even there, dust has been an issue at times.

No polish was applied. Its just the sun protective coating that was applied.

Hope this helps.

Finally managed to click pics of the glasses - driver side and back glass. The pic of back glass is taken from outside as well from inside the car. There is a pic of what went wrong initially with the side glass as well (though this pic is not of my car)

Since we are having the hottest November in ages (ever?) and its been about 2.5 years since the coating was done, I invited Mahesh over to test the difference in temperature under direct sunlight and from across the glass coated with stay kool. I should say the results are "cool"!

It still works fine and never had run-ins with cops since there is no tint

Link of the video shared with me a long time back:
Attached Thumbnails
Stay-Kool Micro coating on Glass. Alternative to Sunfilm?-img_2969.jpg  

Stay-Kool Micro coating on Glass. Alternative to Sunfilm?-img_2965.jpg  

Stay-Kool Micro coating on Glass. Alternative to Sunfilm?-img_2967.jpg  

Stay-Kool Micro coating on Glass. Alternative to Sunfilm?-img_2966.jpg  

Stay-Kool Micro coating on Glass. Alternative to Sunfilm?-img_2968.jpg  

Stay-Kool Micro coating on Glass. Alternative to Sunfilm?-img_2970.jpg  

Stay-Kool Micro coating on Glass. Alternative to Sunfilm?-img_2971.jpg  

DDIS is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Magnetic Sun Shades for windows - An alternative to sunfilm? revved_up Modifications & Accessories 203 10th April 2017 15:02
Sunfilm - V-Kool (Hyderabad) sameerpb Other Cities 2 9th February 2015 23:34
Sunfilm - V-KOOL (Rajendra Place, Delhi) - Update: Now Closed live2drive Delhi NCR 44 9th April 2014 12:44
V-Kool Sunfilm Bangalore PowerPort Bangalore 5 1st March 2012 21:51
Does Cars with stock Tinted Glass need Sunfilm ? mithun Technical Stuff 18 2nd February 2009 14:42


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 01:33.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks