Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 10th October 2016, 20:37   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Ssangyong Rexton clutch sinking

One of the master or slave cylinder has leaked all the oil and hence the clutch sinking down because of losing hydraulic pressure. Diagnose it from this angle.
humyum is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2016, 20:55   #17
BHPian

Default Re: Ssangyong Rexton clutch sinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sz-14 View Post
So can anyone help me to identify the cause?
It seems like a issue of fluid. Should i bleed the brakes and the clutch or replace the master and slave cylinders?

Hi SZ,

There is a similar thread of woes related to Rexton and this has been discussed there, might be of help to you to go through it. Link below will direct you to exact post on clutch issue.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post3833546 (Engine trouble in Mahindra Ssangyong Rexton EDIT: Turbo replaced under warranty)

Cheers,
SD
Trojan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2016, 18:28   #18

Default Re: Clutch Pedal sinks - now what?

Unfortunately, the dealership suceeded in their attemps to loot us.
The car was my dad's , and he finally gave up the fight.
These guys resorted to the cheap " your brakes have failed " trick. Ironically, they had done this during the last service also.
My dad didnt want to risk it and had to cough up a hefty amount.
Anyways, thanks for all your help. I did manage to reduce the bill considerably using your advice, although it was still a lot at the end.
Sz-14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2017, 09:37   #19
BHPian

Default Swift ldi clutch goes dead on long runs only

I am stuck with this weird issue, that on long drives when I am slowing down due to traffic I find that the clutch goes dead (pedal becomes free) and I just can't down shift from fifth. I then have to just brake slowly come to the side and bring the car too a halt, most times after I slow down I manage to go to neutral but cannot engage any other gear. After a full stop of the car though things work fine again. Took it to the Salem workshop on the way from Bangalore to Trichy, they checked for any leaks, clutch cable etc. all looks OK . Test run, no issues at all, car behaves like a gem. They then did a clutch line bleed, on a hunch and let me go. The issue still persists though, twice in another 100kms. Short runs (without a very long stretch on 5th gear) the car behaves normal but, I'm worried as I have to drive back to Bangalore on Sunday and hope I don't get stranded. Any clues on what could be wrong?
rpads1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2017, 10:47   #20
BHPian

During a drive a month back, the clutch pedal of my 2009 Indica Vista sank to the floor. After I safely brought the car to a halt, I switched off the engine and restarted the car (I'm an IT guy, you see ). The clutch came up again and the problem hasn't recurred since.
Any explanation as to why it lost pressure during that one time? The clutch is still reasonably soft.
KL54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2017, 12:48   #21
BHPian

Default Re: Swift ldi clutch goes dead on long runs only

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpads1 View Post
I am stuck with this weird issue, that on long drives when I am slowing down due to traffic I find that the clutch goes dead (pedal becomes free) and I just can't down shift from fifth. I then have to just brake slowly come to the side and bring the car too a halt, most times after I slow down I manage to go to neutral but cannot engage any other gear. After a full stop of the car though things work fine again. Took it to the Salem workshop on the way from Bangalore to Trichy, they checked for any leaks, clutch cable etc. all looks OK . Test run, no issues at all, car behaves like a gem. They then did a clutch line bleed, on a hunch and let me go. The issue still persists though, twice in another 100kms. Short runs (without a very long stretch on 5th gear) the car behaves normal but, I'm worried as I have to drive back to Bangalore on Sunday and hope I don't get stranded. Any clues on what could be wrong?
I drove back to Bangalore and on the way back stuck to speeds below 100 and surprisingly do not see the issue at all. For some reason the problem occurs only if I drive above 100 constantly for a period of 5-10 minutes. Have given it to Bimal Bangalore today for checking the problem, they took some test drives and everything seems normal, so have left the car there with them to troubleshoot further. Hope they are able to root-cause.
Old 23rd May 2017, 23:30   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I drove back to Bangalore and on the way back stuck to speeds below 100 and surprisingly do not see the issue at all. For some reason the problem occurs only if I drive above 100 constantly for a period of 5-10 minutes. Have given it to Bimal Bangalore today for checking the problem, they took some test drives and everything seems normal, so have left the car there with them to troubleshoot further. Hope they are able to root-cause.

Weird problem. I would get the hydraulic liquid checked for water content. If it gets hot with too high water content, you get air bubbles and the clutch pedal wont work anymore, until it cools down. A bit like vapour lock on fuel.

Brake/cluthc fluid ought to get changed/flushed every two-three years. It attracts moisture over time. That can cause corrosion and other problems.

Good luck,

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2017, 15:04   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Weird problem. I would get the hydraulic liquid checked for water content. If it gets hot with too high water content, you get air bubbles and the clutch pedal wont work anymore, until it cools down. A bit like vapour lock on fuel.

Brake/cluthc fluid ought to get changed/flushed every two-three years. It attracts moisture over time. That can cause corrosion and other problems.

Good luck,

Jeroen
Thanks Jeroen. They had already done a clutch line bleed in Salem when I faced the problem, so clutch/brake oil replaced , still the problem persists. The Service guys in Bangalore now told me I need a complete clutch replacement, I am not convinced but since I'm on original factory clutch and @ 114k kms anyway my clutch its near replacement so let them do it. Lets see if that helps , thought a proper root-cause by them would have really helped.
Old 24th May 2017, 15:29   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Jeroen. They had already done a clutch line bleed in Salem when I faced the problem, so clutch/brake oil replaced , still the problem persists. The Service guys in Bangalore now told me I need a complete clutch replacement, I am not convinced but since I'm on original factory clutch and @ 114k kms anyway my clutch its near replacement so let them do it. Lets see if that helps , thought a proper root-cause by them would have really helped.

Just double check. For me a bleed doesn't mean all fluid is replaced.

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   Reply With Quote