Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2014, 20:25   #31
BHPian
 
ashvar87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: krishnagiri
Posts: 58
Thanked: 146 Times
Default Re: Tasteful Maruti SS80 Restoration, my gift to Dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
There's a dichotomy of opinions as to whether to change the O-rings and hoses to HNBR during R12>R134a conversion. Some consider the HNBR material to be more leak-resistant and less porous than those used with R12 systems, and thus leakages from the system are eliminated. Others say old hoses and O-rings can leak anyway - it has nothing to do with the material - so why change hoses and O-rings unless refrigerant leakage is a major problem.

I wanted to know which opinion your AC mechanic agrees with.
You are right friend. I actually checked my system for leakage with nitrogen, overnight and then only decided to not replace the hose and 'O' rings. This is what my A/c guy suggests too. And more over I have done the same process in two other vehicle of mine. I have absolutely no issues in other vehicles for more than 5 years, not even replaced a single hose or 'O' ring.

Thank you.
ashvar87 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2014, 00:02   #32
BHPian
 
CaliforniaKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: IND + DXB
Posts: 938
Thanked: 35 Times
Default Re: Tasteful Maruti SS80 Restoration, my gift to Dad

The car looks so sweet after the restoration work.
I understand its difficult, but try to source the original ORVM,that way it makes it perfect.
Thanks for sharing the photographs.
CaliforniaKnight is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2014, 10:49   #33
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Mysore
Posts: 94
Thanked: 128 Times
Default Re: Tasteful Maruti SS80 Restoration, my gift to Dad

Wow ashwin. !! it has come out really wonderful. thanks for almost daily update , I enjoyed watching it .

I am sure you will have lot of curious people to answer when ever you take her out !!

Convey all Team BHPian's wishes to the team who made this happen to you with their heart in.

also if possible, could you share the Coimbatore shop address where you sourced paint products ( filler, polish, laquer etc...)

Ananth

Last edited by Ananth_shukti : 24th March 2014 at 10:49. Reason: typo error
Ananth_shukti is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2014, 11:16   #34
Senior - BHPian
 
rr_zen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Chennai, India
Posts: 1,711
Thanked: 262 Times
Default Re: Tasteful Maruti SS80 Restoration, my gift to Dad

Excellent restoration Ashwin ! The SS80 is always a favorite and especially when it is Red. Kudos ! One request I have is would you be able to suggest any quality paint booths in Chennai, considering you are in the automobile line? Thanks.
rr_zen is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2014, 12:42   #35
Senior - BHPian
 
kutlee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,126
Thanked: 194 Times
Default Re: Tasteful Maruti SS80 Restoration, my gift to Dad

excellent job. The right side headlight needs to leveled. Looks like it is pushed in slightly.
kutlee is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2014, 11:16   #36
BHPian
 
ashvar87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: krishnagiri
Posts: 58
Thanked: 146 Times
Default Re: Tasteful Maruti SS80 Restoration, my gift to Dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaKnight View Post
The car looks so sweet after the restoration work.
I understand its difficult, but try to source the original ORVM,that way it makes it perfect.
Thanks for sharing the photographs.
Thank you for your wishes friend. I am already on a hunt for the ORVM, soon will get one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ananth_shukti View Post
Wow ashwin. !! it has come out really wonderful. thanks for almost daily update , I enjoyed watching it .

I am sure you will have lot of curious people to answer when ever you take her out !!

Convey all Team BHPian's wishes to the team who made this happen to you with their heart in.

also if possible, could you share the Coimbatore shop address where you sourced paint products ( filler, polish, laquer etc...)


Ananth
Thank you for your wishes Ananth, of course many curious people every time, to know what I have done. It is really a privilege. I conveyed your wishes to my team and they were all surprised to see these many supporters for the restoration.

Regarding the spares, i sourced most of them from Dhanam & Rajkrishna from Coimbatore. Fillers I bought it from my place, paints were all purchased from Bangalore, not sure about the shop name but somewhere near BTM layout, Putty alone purchased from Coimbatore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
Excellent restoration Ashwin ! The SS80 is always a favorite and especially when it is Red. Kudos ! One request I have is would you be able to suggest any quality paint booths in Chennai, considering you are in the automobile line? Thanks.
Thank you for your wishes friend. You are very right, SS80's are always beautiful and with German red, they look more beautiful. I am not very sure about Chennai paint booths friend, any-ways will enquire for you and let you know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlee View Post
excellent job. The right side headlight needs to leveled. Looks like it is pushed in slightly.
Thank you Kutlee, I actually checked the focussing, I don't have any issue as yet.
ashvar87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2014, 05:46   #37
BHPian
 
josejoseph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Cochin
Posts: 635
Thanked: 319 Times
Default Re: Tasteful Maruti SS80 Restoration, my gift to Dad

Do you have any updates/recent pictures of the restoration process? Were you able to source rest of the replacement parts?

When are you planning to gift the car to your dad?
josejoseph is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2014, 14:13   #38
BHPian
 
ashvar87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: krishnagiri
Posts: 58
Thanked: 146 Times
Default Re: Tasteful Maruti SS80 Restoration, my gift to Dad

Sorry for the delayed updates friends. The car is already gifted to my dad and he is enjoying driving it everyday. I could see him driving with pride, when lot of curious faces keeps looking, till he passes by in his SS80, hope he has got lot of fans

Meanwhile I have completed the upholstery work, some how I have replicated the original Stanley Seat covers to act as a over cover and also to protect the original Stanley Seats present in the car and I have replicated the floor carpet also. Here are some pictures for you all.

My Dad with his pride
Tasteful Maruti SS80 Restoration, my gift to Dad-img_2960.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Tasteful Maruti SS80 Restoration, my gift to Dad-imag1520.jpg  

Tasteful Maruti SS80 Restoration, my gift to Dad-imag1519.jpg  

Tasteful Maruti SS80 Restoration, my gift to Dad-imag1515.jpg  


Last edited by ashvar87 : 8th May 2014 at 14:17.
ashvar87 is offline   (12) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2014, 09:23   #39
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 7
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: Tasteful Maruti SS80 Restoration, my gift to Dad

Hi,
I am looking for weather strips and runner beadings for my SS80. Can you guide me where can I get or can I use it from Type 1 model
Sujitknaik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2014, 10:03   #40
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Leoshashi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: JH01/JH05
Posts: 1,976
Thanked: 11,020 Times
Default Re: Tasteful Maruti SS80 Restoration, my gift to Dad

Excellent restoration Ashwin! I have no words to explain how much I adore your restored car. However I would like to suggest a few things from my side.
1. Please get the monograms fixed on the boot and the front grill in the same original way.
2. Please get that chrome beading fixed on the rear hatch gate and the window line.

Your replicated seat looks awesome BTW.
Leoshashi is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2014, 12:38   #41
BHPian
 
ashvar87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: krishnagiri
Posts: 58
Thanked: 146 Times
Default Re: Tasteful Maruti SS80 Restoration, my gift to Dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sujitknaik View Post
Hi,
I am looking for weather strips and runner beadings for my SS80. Can you guide me where can I get or can I use it from Type 1 model
Dear Sujitknaik, Weather strips are the toughest parts to find. Actually the weather strips in my SS80 are still as good as new, so I didn't have a chance to replace it, any ways I am still on a hunt for one.

I would suggest you an easy, cost effective and practical alternative for the OE weather strips. Get two pairs of weather strips of Maruti Omnie / Gypsy, cut the weather strip to desired level and fix it. With this weather strip you can still retain the aluminium channels. Hope this clarifies.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Excellent restoration Ashwin! I have no words to explain how much I adore your restored car. However I would like to suggest a few things from my side.
1. Please get the monograms fixed on the boot and the front grill in the same original way.
2. Please get that chrome beading fixed on the rear hatch gate and the window line.

Your replicated seat looks awesome BTW.
Thank you so much bro. Really feeling great and happy with your comments.

1. I am still on a hunt for the monograms
2. I am still unable to get the water channel chrome beading

Let me know if you come across any of theses stuffs.

Thank you.
ashvar87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2014, 13:04   #42
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Leoshashi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: JH01/JH05
Posts: 1,976
Thanked: 11,020 Times
Default Re: Tasteful Maruti SS80 Restoration, my gift to Dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvar87 View Post



Thank you so much bro. Really feeling great and happy with your comments.

1. I am still on a hunt for the monograms
2. I am still unable to get the water channel chrome beading

Let me know if you come across any of theses stuffs.

Thank you.
Sure. Will ask my local spare parts shop. Last time I checked, he had good stock of SS80 spares and told me that off late they have again been in demand. So let's hope I can find them for you.
Leoshashi is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2014, 12:51   #43
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 7
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: Tasteful Maruti SS80 Restoration, my gift to Dad

Hi Ashwin, do we Rear Tail lamps, if yes let me know the shops I can check.
Sujitknaik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2014, 21:28   #44
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 7
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: Tasteful Maruti SS80 Restoration, my gift to Dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sujitknaik View Post
Hi Ashwin, do we Rear Tail lamps, if yes let me know the shops I can check.
Hi Ashwin, where do we get Rear Tail lamps, if yes let me know the shops I can check.
Sujitknaik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2014, 01:48   #45
NKN
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: KL11,KA53,MH43
Posts: 15
Thanked: 5 Times
Default Re: Tasteful Maruti SS80 Restoration, my gift to Dad

Fantastic work and painstakingly done up. Congrats....
Noted in the Pics that the wipers & the antenna on the front were not fixed- has it been completed
NKN is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My SS80 DX restoration and rebuild :) atul_astro Modifications & Accessories 36 3rd October 2016 12:08
Restoration project - Maruti 800 (SS80) 1984 model the_maassk Modifications & Accessories 32 18th November 2015 11:26
A mobile phone gift to dad devarshi84 Gadgets, Computers & Software 13 1st October 2006 18:07


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 01:02.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks