Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 5th November 2016, 12:45   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Buying a Towing Rope

No... Because then you get DIY rear ending (my expression might catch on!) using a hard narrow object, which would be much worse.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2016, 17:42   #32
Senior - BHPian

The rope on both sides could prevent that, couldn't it? Maybe a foot and a half on either side...

Reminds me of a joke we used to tell each other:
Upon seeing two trucks, one towing the other using a piece of rope, Santa said to Santa: Look at those idiots! Two trucks to carry a small piece of rope!

And on a road trip to Solapur many years ago when we drove past two trucks parked by the roadside, my brother could not help but quip: See, they are busy searching for a piece of rope to carry!
honeybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2016, 20:22   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
The rope on both sides could prevent that, couldn't it? Maybe a foot and a half on either side...
A new guy moves into the village. Whenever he goes out, he takes a piece of string with him, and drags it on the ground behind him. Everybody notices, but for a while, nobody actually says anything.

Eventually, the curiosity gets too much for one youngster, who asks the guy, straight out. "Why do you always pull a piece of string?"

The guy replies, "Have you ever tried pushing one?"
And there, in one of my favourite jokes, is your answer. Adding a steel tube to the string just adds danger. Visualise what happens when the towing vehicle brakes sharply.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2017, 20:33   #34
Senior - BHPian

Yeah, so for the 1st time ever in my driving life I bought an "El-Cheapo" towing rope/cable from Amazon. I don't expect too much from those hooks but heck if in a sticky situation this towing cable can be tied with a knot to pull a car or LMV in trouble.

Here's the product:

http://www.amazon.in/Romic-Heavy-Dut...862088&sr=1-29

Costs a measly 300 bucks. So don't expect it to pull a SUV or larger vehicle. In which case you may need two of these things.
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2017, 20:41   #35
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Yeah, so for the 1st time ever in my driving life I bought an "El-Cheapo" towing rope/cable from Amazon. I don't expect too much from those hooks but heck if in a sticky situation this towing cable can be tied with a knot to pull a car or LMV in trouble.
Please don't use such cheap cables, they are not really rated. It is very dangerous for the users.

Here is an example of what happens when cheap tow cables are used. The next post shows how people died due to cable break.

A good 3T cable will cost 1500 bucks.

Last edited by Samurai : 23rd February 2017 at 20:44.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2017, 21:12   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Please don't use such cheap cables, they are not really rated. It is very dangerous for the users.

Here is an example of what happens when cheap tow cables are used. The next post shows how people died due to cable break.

A good 3T cable will cost 1500 bucks.
Thanks Samurai.

No kidding, but now where do I get a good quality tow cable? I'll use this POS I purchased from Amazon as a bungee cord
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2017, 22:05   #37
Team-BHP Support

We have a thread on that: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-t...4x4-india.html
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote