Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 17th March 2014, 00:44   #1
BHPian

Default The Shining Star: Overhauling my '85 Mercedes 300D W123

Hello BHP-ians,

Its been a real long time I have been wanting to post an exciting thread on this beloved site of ours! But nothing exciting was happening on my auto front. Having two classic jewels in my garage since a few years now I think its time to get my hands in the grease and give them both a new lease of life which they both so rightly deserve.

The two' jewels' in context are both iconic cars in their segment, or so do I think. And for me it was a dream come true to own both together and enjoy their individual ways to seduce me on the roads!

One is a 1995 Mazda Miata roadster (mine is the Japanese version and is badged Eunos). A car that started a revolution in 1991. But this thread is dedicated to my other shining star, my 1985 Mercedes Benz 300D.

Assisting me make this thread is my new tablet (its a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1) on which I can hand-write with a stylus and it automatically converts it into computer text! The pictures will be clicked by this too, so hopefully its going to be a breeze.

Will need a lot of suggestions and support, which I am sure I would receive whole heartedly. So thanks in advance for all visiting this thread. I shall be posting pictures and updates tomorrow.

Will definitely need loads of luck (besides the time, money and energy!) for the kind of work I have in hand. I have my 300D since June 2010. Please refer to the following thread which I had posted right after I bought the car from a friend in Mumbai.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-w...300d-w123.html (Advice On Restoring My 1985 Mercedes Benz 300d (w123))

Here are some pics (from the above thread) that show the exact condition of the car when I bought it.

Thanks,

Vikas
Attached Images

Last edited by GTO : 17th March 2014 at 14:47. Reason: Adding your latest update to the opening post
LOVE HER(ALD)! is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2014, 01:04   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default re: The Shining Star: Overhauling my '85 Mercedes 300D W123

For the love of Merc, I wish you the best of good luck. Typing on a touch phone is a tough task however trying because to request you the pictures of your beauties. Once again have a great time restoring them Vilas.
chanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2014, 13:46   #3
Senior - BHPian

Default re: The Shining Star: Overhauling my '85 Mercedes 300D W123

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVE HER(ALD)! View Post
Sorry, forgot attaching images
In a fairly decent condition, is'nt she?

The dashboard is a bit torn & tatty, colour is not exactly to my liking, is somewhat faded. The original Becker stereo is also missing.

Considering this is a low mileage car, the OM617 should be in fine health. All five cylinders- Compression et cetera are okay?

The seats are a bit tatty as well. Bombay registered. Rust present? As they say, one must not judge a book by its cover.

Though, unlike others, this Merc W123 is in a very good condition, and shall not require a very extensive restoration.

Have you got a certificate made for this though? MB Classics do make them.

This is a last of the series W123, is'nt it? I happen to know a very late, very, very original W123, here in Poona, bearing Bombay registration MAF/17XX.

Original paint, manuals, old German registration papers, et al. The car was owned by a diplomat. Very well maintained. Did I mention original paint?

Cheers!

Last edited by FINTAIL : 17th March 2014 at 13:53.
FINTAIL is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2014, 21:15   #4
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: The Shining Star: Overhauling my '85 Mercedes 300D W123

Quote:
The two' jewels' in context are both iconic cars in their segment, or so do I think. And for me it was a dream come true to own both together and enjoy their individual ways to seduce me on the roads!

One is a 1995 Mazda Miata roadster (mine is the Japanese version and is badged Eunos). A car that started a revolution in 1991. But this thread is dedicated to my other shining star, my 1985 Mercedes Benz 300D.

Vikas
Also, could you tell me the month of manufacture? ?/1985.

TWO Jewels?! Where is the third one? How can you forget your Herald?

It is very much an icon, methinks.

Cheers!
FINTAIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2014, 15:16   #5
BHPian

I sold the Herald two years back to a friend. It was a true jewel, no doubt. But then what is the point keeping vintage jewelry that you cannot wear....hahaha!

I am the kind who would like to flaunt his jewelry everyday! (Pun intended!!)

I know, she is in a poor condition in the pics. What I meant was, it was an acceptable 300D in terms of driveability and functioning when I bought it 4 years back.

This is not the current situation of the car. Had gone in for a mini-restoration, whatever I could manage, about 3 years back. Will post pics shortly.

Got busy at work after the Holi break... will post updates soon.

Moderators, I dont see last four image uploads that I attached with my last message.
LOVE HER(ALD)! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2014, 15:33   #6
BHPian

Hi Vikas,

Dont envy, but look upto you. I too am looking for a 300D 4 or 5 speed(if I am really lucky). Will be watching your thread closely as I plan to get one and restore it with no expense bein spared as it will stay with me forever.

What Im being told that W123s even in your neck of the wood are getting rare.
Please post as many pictures. Best of luck for your restoration.

Regards
Kavesh
kavesh55 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2014, 20:20   #7
BHPian

As I mentioned at the onset, I had gone for a partial restoration of my 300D right after I got it. Had an elaborate photo-set of the body-off restoration on my laptop, but as luck would have it, a fatal hard disk failure wiped off pretty much everything. It taught me two things:

(a) Never to trust a machine to an extent that it becomes an indispensible part of your life

(b) Things that you treat crucial for your existence are actually not all that important!

On that note, here are a few random clicks from the last year's vintange and classic car rally where she had participated. There were many of her sisters accompanying her at the event!
Attached Images

LOVE HER(ALD)! is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2014, 20:23   #8
BHPian

I tried uploading six images together, but it was just not happening. So here's the next set:
Attached Images

Old 19th March 2014, 20:49   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I tried uploading six images together, but it was just not happening. So here's the next set:
If this is a 1985 W123 then should it not be having the squarish headlights? this 2 round beam headlights stopped in 1982 or so
Caveat emptor-I have limited knowledge regarding mercedes models,so could be wrong
ajay99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2014, 21:02   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
If this is a 1985 W123 then should it not be having the squarish headlights? this 2 round beam headlights stopped in 1982 or so
Caveat emptor-I have limited knowledge regarding mercedes models,so could be wrong
No, actually, quite a valid query. Now, in the older pictures, it DID have the rectangular lights.

So, in this case, I assume, he just liked the older style & put em on, perhaps?

Because, this is not an American market car, to sport these round HLs, originally.

Cheers!
FINTAIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2014, 23:09   #11
BHPian

Super guesswork by detective fantail!

Yes, I prefer the double barrel headlamps a zillion times over the square ones on the W123! So I got them changed. I consider this lovely four-eyed front as a true blooded E-Class icon.... A move that Mercedes Benz follows till today on their E-Class line up.

The square lamps from the later W123s were carried over to the W124. And I feel they suited the W124s a lot better.
Old 20th March 2014, 07:25   #12

I prefer the rectangular ones..
Do have the rectangular ones with you?

If yes, can i buy it from you

PM me.
avinashimpex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2014, 12:19   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinashimpex View Post
I prefer the rectangular ones..
Do have the rectangular ones with you?

If yes, can i buy it from you

PM me.
Sorry buddy,

Have given them away long time back. I also gave away the full set of the original Mag-wheels that were standard fitment on my car. However, the lamps/ wheels etc can be easily sourced from Chor Bazaar/ Opera House in Mumbai. Or Palika Market in Delhi.
Old 21st March 2014, 16:10   #14
BHPian

Current status:

The resurrection process begins! Have made a comprehensive list of work to be done on the car before handing it to my trusted mechanic. She has been parked here since a week now . I have set a timeline of two months to roll her out on the roads. The one thing that I have promised myself is people should pause and look at her as she graces the roads with her poise and elegance!

The initial list of jobs to commence with immediate effect:

(1) Differential noisy- bearings to be replaced
(2) Aircon unit -to be either replaced or fully overhauled
(3) Brand new electrical wiring
(4) Reverse gear not easy to engage- issue to be resolved
(5) Elaborate denting and painting (paint booth) to achieve showroom finish
(6) Completely refurbished original spec interiors.

Images to follow.
Old 23rd March 2014, 01:45   #15
BHPian

Ok, here we are! My beloved before her face-lift! I hate clicking her this way, so the next two months are going to be tough for me as I update her restoration process here. This is my mechanic's newly procured workshop fully covered and well equipped with a paint booth - I suppose a perfect setup for a passionate restoration.

As you can see, the entire differential has been taken out. I have to ensure all the accessories- wheel caps, wipers, logos etc are kept in safe custody.

Wish me luck!
Attached Thumbnails
The Shining Star: Overhauling my '85 Mercedes 300D W123-img_20140322_151003.jpg  

The Shining Star: Overhauling my '85 Mercedes 300D W123-img_20140323_010807.jpg  

Attached Images

LOVE HER(ALD)! is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote