Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 10th April 2014, 16:30   #16
BHPian

Default re: Toyota to recall 45,000 Innovas (April 2014)

This problem surfaced on my 2006 Innova in 2011. The dealer told me the spiral cable had to be replaced. There was no mention of a defect. Probably the dealers had not been informed at that time. It cost Rs.8500 + taxes to replace. I recall @Genesis had the same problem. Here's the link to that thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-resolved.html (Airbag Warning Light In Innova Lit Up: Update - Issue Resolved)

I still have the receipt. I wonder if I can take this up with Toyota?
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2014, 00:20   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinodDevil81 View Post
Agree with you that the company has made a recall.But that is nothing generous from Toyota's part considering the fact that it took almost 10 years for them to accept the fault.

What sansvk was trying to say was not about the recall, but about the ignorance/faults in their production & testing process which led to this recall in the first place.I think he has raised a valid point.

We have been hearing so many recall stories now for the past few years from almost all auto-majors.When so much of modern technology and advanced production processes are being used by these companies, how come such serious faults are not detected then and there itself? Still, it can be accepted if 1 or 2 units pass through undetected, but what baffles me most is how such flaws go undetected for years altogether on thousands of units! So is there no review of the safety checks and quality control tests, done atleast once a year?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sansvk View Post
Take the case of the sticky accelerator pedal. They ignored and denied facts for a long time. They could have resolved matter with a recall, now they have recalls + huge fine + lost brand image. I dont think its just Toyota, all manufacturers should be sensitive towards customers especially in the case of safety issues.
I agree with you guys, but...

The statements we are trying to make here is based on the assumption that Toyota knew about this defect in 2008 itself. They have been just trying to avoid the recall. Let’s say this defect took time to develop: a possible part failure due to fatigue. At the time of manufacturing, despite all the checks, no defects showed up. Possible?

I think Toyota is known for its reliability, and more than anyone Toyota would be racing to retain that tag. All this especially after the US brake pedal fiasco. Bashing would only discourage manufacturers from going ahead with a recall.

Having said this, there should be scope in a country’s legal system to take action against manufacturer’s in case any carelessness is found on their part (which I find lacking in ours). Toyota, on the other hand, would do well to tighten their belts & avoid such incidents. Just my 0.02$.
Me-hul is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2014, 01:40   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

45000 Innova's are being recalled from the period Feb 2005 to Dec 2008 which is 58 months so holding an average of 3000 units being sold every month the figure is 1,74,000 Innova's.

Out of the 1.75 lakh cars only 45000 are recalled for this very defect, cars produced during this period would have had the same defective part so how did Toyota decide to recall only 45K units and not all 1.75 lakh units?

A recall is a very big initiative from the manufactures side with lot of money into it. Stakes are pretty high and with such economic environment recalls hit the roof. I am happy that Toyota did their homework and traced all the details dating 9 years back production. Imagine the record-keeping standards so as to pin-point the issue out. Imagine the level of R&D being done before a recall is called! Their traceability activities must be commended.

Not only Toyota but all manufacturers should be appreciated for a recall rather than bashing. A problem in a car is not found out in seconds or just after manufacturing. There are some issues that crop up in long term which reaches a manufacturer through customers so that information is collected, analysed, tested, confirmed and only then they realise the defective part and announce a recall.

I am saying this not in support of Toyota but I have gone through such issues many times as I work in a FMCG company where issues are even more sensitive since it involves health safety.

Anurag.

Last edited by a4anurag : 11th April 2014 at 01:54.
a4anurag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2014, 06:12   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
45000 Innova's are being recalled from the period Feb 2005 to Dec 2008 which is 58 months so holding an average of 3000 units being sold every month the figure is 1,74,000 Innova's.

Out of the 1.75 lakh cars only 45000 are recalled for this very defect, cars produced during this period would have had the same defective part so how did Toyota decide to recall only 45K units and not all 1.75 lakh units?
Since the impact of this defect is airbag malfunction, they might be recalling only the variants with driver airbag. Almost 25% of the total volume sounds like a good ball park estimate for the high end Innovas being sold. I could be wrong though as it is just a guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
This problem surfaced on my 2006 Innova in 2011. The dealer told me the spiral cable had to be replaced. There was no mention of a defect. Probably the dealers had not been informed at that time. It cost Rs.8500 + taxes to replace. I recall @Genesis had the same problem. Here's the link to that thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-resolved.html (Airbag Warning Light In Innova Lit Up: Update - Issue Resolved)

I still have the receipt. I wonder if I can take this up with Toyota?
You should be able to get it, now that Toyota has acknowledged the defective part. However, since this is India and we have our share of anti-consumer laws, it may not be so easy. Try speaking to the dealer first and escalate if necessary as the dealer might be reluctant to refund. Please update the thread on the outcome as I've always wondered how this scenario would play out in the Indian context.

Last edited by zenren : 11th April 2014 at 06:20. Reason: added one more reply
zenren is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2014, 08:12   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Since the impact of this defect is airbag malfunction, they might be recalling only the variants with driver airbag. Almost 25% of the total volume sounds like a good ball park estimate for the high end Innovas being sold. I could be wrong though as it is just a guess.
You are right. This also could be the possible reason for the difference in recall units as compared to average sales units.

I guess this part would be installed in all cars but may be active only in variants that possess airbags.

I guess we should get a bit more information on what that part is; what does it do and how does it effect the airbags system.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2014, 09:50   #21
Senior - BHPian

Recalls are mostly traced down to the supplier level. If a supplier is found to have supplied a defective part, the production batch which has the part supplied by that specified supplier is identified for a recall.

Btw... it is really painful to see few people call this recall exercise a divine deed by Toyota.

Just imagine the no. of lives that would have been lost due to the fact that the airbag failed to deploy because of a faulty cable.

I have personally made several visits to the service center to get this issue fixed. Will Toyota compensate me for the time and money spent on the futile visits?

This is definitely too little, too late from Toyota.

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 11th April 2014 at 10:06.
Warwithwheels is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2014, 12:29   #22
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Toyota to recall 45,000 Innovas (April 2014)

How many Innova owners have received a call from TKM for this recall?
I got notification for this only when I had gone for routine service.
'A-04004-07122' was the part number that got replaced.
sukiwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2014, 16:36   #23
BHPian

Default Re: Toyota to recall 45,000 Innovas (April 2014)

My Innova is a July 2006 delivered unit. The fault indicator came up during 87k+ driving time (April 2014). They quoted 13k for a replacement, which I did not opt for. I then came across the Autocar India article and contacted United Motors (the ASD in Mangalore) management and asked them to give me a reason for such a failure (June 2014). As expected there was no reply and only when I confronted them with an audience around me (many people had come to look at the new Corolla), did they "whisper" in my ears that they are able to service only 10 Innovas per month owing to release of spares from Toyota India, and since I am due for my 90k service the following month (July 2014), the replacement will be done FOC.

They did replace it without any further incident and now I am more relieved (or am I? )

Cheers

Arun
arun27g is offline   Reply With Quote