Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 10th April 2014, 00:24   #1
BHPian

Exclamation Mercedes E280 CDI: Jerky with heavy throttle inputs

Hello everyone,

I am new to Team-Bhp and would like bring to your notice the problem I am having with my Mercedes.

I have a Mercedes-Benz E 280 CDI (2007 model) and from the past few months whenever I accelerate my car a little hard (more than half throttle), it starts jerking very badly as if it were continuosly shifting gears and sometimes the turbo-charger stops working causing a huge loss of power. The turbo-charger is revived only after the car is switched off for a few hours.

Though the car is fine most of the times, it is very annoying when I want to drive a little fast as I have certain expectations from a V6 monster.

If anyone else has faced a similar problem or knows a solution, please help.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Rehaan : 10th April 2014 at 18:10. Reason: Adding line spaces for readability.
Naman_Ferrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2014, 12:34   #2
Team-BHP Support

Default re: Mercedes E280 CDI: Jerky with heavy throttle inputs

Quite possible that your car is slipping into failsafe mode hence turbo cutting off to restrict damage.
It sounds like poor fuel flow, might be time to change the injectors. A diagnostic check will reveal the fault code
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2014, 18:13   #3
Team-BHP Support

Naman_Ferrari,

To be honest, i think you are jumping to conclusions about the gearbox and turbocharger.

The issue could be something completely different.

If it is a consistent and easily noticeable issue, do start by having a mechanic look at it.

Unfortunately, your car is out of warranty. It is best you get an experienced mechanic to take a look, and perhaps back it up by getting a second opinion too.

cya
R
Rehaan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2014, 18:16   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Its quite possible your diff mount or your engine mount could be shot....and these dont throw codes.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2014, 19:21   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Quite possible that your car is slipping into failsafe mode hence turbo cutting off to restrict damage.
Sorry but that is utter gibberish!

I'm not sure how you can tell the turbo charger is not working or working for that matter? I assume you are experiencing large power fluctuations?

I would agree that the first thing you need to do is get a diagnostic check done. With symptoms like this, I would urge you to go to a proper Mercedes workshop where they have Mercedes specific analyzers and not rely only on a generic OBD scan.

Please ask them to show you the exact codes that get thrown, that would help tremendously. If there are no codes, we can start thinking about other stuff, but I would say this should be your first step in trouble shooting this thing.

It could be a whole host of different things, from some (relatively) simple air leaks to something more serious. We'll never know for sure without codes.

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2014, 20:38   #6
BHPian

Thanks everyone for that advice
I have already taken the car to Mercedes and they found nothing wrong with it.
They said that they reinstalled some software's related to the gearbox.
Later when I insisted something is wrong, they checked the car and said that the turbo charger needs to be replaced and is very expensive.
Since it is not that big a problem, we decided not to change it and manage.
But I will try showing it to the other Mercedes service centre and see if they can give me an alternative solution.
Old 10th April 2014, 20:58   #7
Senior - BHPian

http://m.mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=455444

Looks to be turbo.

Last edited by Rehaan : 10th April 2014 at 21:33. Reason: Making link clickable. Thanks!
androdev is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2014, 21:04   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naman_Ferrari View Post
Later when I insisted something is wrong, they checked the car and said that the turbo charger needs to be replaced and is very expensive.
I'm sorry but why do you say that turbo problem isn't a big problem?
Bookkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2014, 21:10   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookkeeper View Post
Because when you actually drive the car in normal conditions, there is no problem at all.
It's only when you push really hard that the problem arises.
Old 10th April 2014, 21:19   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookkeeper View Post
He says it's a problem only during hard acceleration, so can live with it given the cost of a new Turbo. The turbo is not completely dead, it doesn't like hard acceleration.

Btw, what's the quote your dealer gave for Turbo?
androdev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2014, 21:31   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Sorry but that is utter gibberish!
Really ? I have experienced similar situations when my Skoda RS went into fail safe mode where the engine barely produced enough power off-boost to get you off the road. I believe that I am qualified to offer that comment but I could be wrong.

When I said turbo shut down, I did not mean something like Mad Max where one shuts down a motor, I intended to say that the wastegate valve or similar acted to prevent the turbo from actuating.

I did fail to say that may be a sensor or two is malfunctioning causing the engine to hunt' Jerking normally pertains to fuel flow considering there is no ignition in this engine hence my top of the head comment.

With these engines - its codes, codes and codes first
ajmat is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2014, 21:32   #12
BHPian

Have you noticed any white smoke coming out of the exhaust right after you feel the power drop?

A similar problem can occur due to to leakage of LO to the blower side of the turbine. Which will go into the combustion chamber and cause a power drop. Since it happens only under hard acceleration it won't be problem under normal running.

Keep your air filter clean always and keep an eye on the LO sump level
vaisakhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2014, 21:44   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Really ? I have experienced similar situations when my Skoda RS went into fail safe mode where the engine barely produced enough power off-boost to get you off the road. I believe that I am qualified to offer that comment but I could be wrong.
Sorry, it is utter and total gibberish and you haven't got a clue. That is a bit rash but until you prove me wrong I don't think you have got a clue. What the hell is off boost? And yes, you are, most likely, complete and utterly wrong.

Please show me the evidence of fail safe mode and the engine reducing turbo boost? Just show me the relevant codes or pages of the work shop manual or codes and respective actions/

Unfortunately, I don't think you are not qualified at all. i don't think you really understood what happened to your own car/engine, let alone offer advice to somebody else.

Show me the codes and the appropriate/respective actions to take and I'll be happy to tell you here on this forum you are a genius. Until such time, I think you haven't got a clue, but in all honesty, I'm fifty five years old and I have been proved wrong many times. It' called learning. I'm always willing to learn, but you are not offering any knowledge that adds to what I know. Just one liners that make no sense from where I'm sitting.

But to get back to the problem at hand, get those codes, preferable with a Mercdedes specific OBD analyzer and not a generic one!

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2014, 21:50   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naman_Ferrari View Post
Thanks everyone for that advice
I have already taken the car to Mercedes and they found nothing wrong with it.
They said that they reinstalled some software's related to the gearbox.
But I will try showing it to the other Mercedes service centre and see if they can give me an alternative solution.
Refurbished turbos are available in Europe for about 20k or less. Check what exactly the Star diagnostic system says, note down fault codes if any and check up on what they mean. If it really is the turbo looking at a refurbished one may make sense. You will still be able to enjoy your car then.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2014, 21:50   #15
BHPian

Quote:

When I said turbo shut down, I did not mean something like Mad Max where one shuts down a motor, I intended to say that the wastegate valve or similar acted to prevent the turbo from actuating.

I did fail to say that may be a sensor or two is malfunctioning causing the engine to hunt' Jerking normally pertains to fuel flow considering there is no ignition in this engine hence my top of the head comment.

With these engines - its codes, codes and codes first
The service centre told me that they have already tried fixing the software.
I am sorry I have no clue what codes are here but am I correct in assuming that whatever software they looked at is the same thing that you are talking about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaisakhr View Post
Have you noticed any white smoke coming out of the exhaust right after you feel the power drop?

A similar problem can occur due to to leakage of LO to the blower side of the turbine. Which will go into the combustion chamber and cause a power drop. Since it happens only under hard acceleration it won't be problem under normal running.

Keep your air filter clean always and keep an eye on the LO sump level
I have actually tested this and found black smoke from the exhaust not white.
I thought this was because I was giving more throttle to compensate for the loss of power.
But I think you may be right with the air filter and I will check it.