Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 16th April 2014, 00:17   #1
Default CNG Kit removal / uninstallation

Hey everyone! Need a little advice.

A friend of mine owns a 2010 i10 1.2 Kappa VTVT which has done about 45k kms. This is her first car and she bought it used about a year ago.

The car was driven ~39k when she bought it. It came with a CNG kit (and was probably driven on CNG for a decent amount of that 39k).

However, the CNG kit doesn't work anymore. She had shown it to a mechanic who couldn't fix it. Unfortunately she's not very technical / car-friendly and couldn't explain the nature of the fault to me

Since she's a new driver and this is the first car in her family, the car's run is limited to about a 100 kms a month at most. Looks like it's going to stay that way for a couple of years or until they trade in to their next car. So, running the car on CNG makes no sense.

I figured there's no point keeping a CNG kit they're not going to use. "Either fix it / use it, or get rid of it," I told her.

Is it advisable to remove the kit? Also, since it has a ton of usable parts that are common to most of these kits, including the tank (and the kits aren't cheap at >= 30k IIRC), is it possible to sell off the kit? Would a "CNG kits" shop or garage be interested, and if so, what kind of money should she expect?

Are there any negatives to think about as far as removal of the kit is concerned?

ayushagarwal26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2014, 08:48   #2
Default re: CNG Kit removal / uninstallation

The CNG kit used in i10 is closed loop system so the buying price may be 8-10k outside. The kit can be easily removed without any issues, 2 parts will have to be replaced one the air flow pipe from air filter box going to the engine manifold and a hose in the coolant line to ensure smooth running with no leaks. At these two places in a CNG/LPG car they use a pipe with dual outlets so replace them with a part from any petrol i10. The removal of kit has to be endorsed by RTO before selling the kit.

Last edited by deehunk : 16th April 2014 at 08:55. Reason: add info
deehunk is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2016, 01:13   #3
Default The great CNG dilemma

Hi folks! I have a swift vxi K-series 2011 model pre facelift model as my regular commuter workshorse. She has clocked around 43K kms and doing pretty well with no major issues.

I had a CNG kit installed from Suraj auto gas Mumbai at 50k and and in June 2013. Although I love the experience of saving the money on my regular commutes within the city, off late I am sorely missing the boot space offered by my hatch. There is practically no scope for storing any luggage.

Now the question, will removing the kit serve any purpose? I really want to go for it and want to experience a tight petrol engine in its entirety. Will removing the kit is that simple? Are there any settings which have to be changed so as to continue running it as a petrol car trouble free. I understand that the RC book will have to be re endorsed. Who will be the right person to uninstall the kit, will going back to the installer help matters?

Also will a once upon a time CNG kit affect my cars future resale prospects? Please guide me so that I can arrive at a decision.

Lastly, how much can I expect for the kit in return?

Done with getting Cng'ed now some raw petrol fun
Raulspace999 is offline   Reply With Quote