Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 27th April 2014, 23:00   #46
BHPian

Default Re: Lower arm broke, wheel came off!

Quote:
Originally Posted by commonman View Post
My 2006 model Alto (from Kerala) had the same rust problem ,fortunately lower arm didn't break .The MASS was unable to identify this.It was identified by a FNH mechanic in Bangalore.The Kerala MASS was completely ignorant or they don't care about such matters.In Bangalore it is not prevalent to have a rusted lower arm and the mechanic noticed it.In Jokujis case both the lower arms are in rusted condition .But surprisingly other parts don't have corrosion. So this issue can be a bad batch of lower arms. Maruti must be informed about this and I feel a recall/checkup for the batch is required.Through the said MASS and pressure from forums like TBHP we can strive for that. We may be able to save lives.
What you said is very much probable.But I don't think just this one instance is enough to pressurize a company like MSIL to initiate a recall.

What exactly is the way to make a company initiate a recall (either forcibly or voluntarily) if a customer or a group of customers come to know about a defectively manufactured part for a particular batch of cars?
Is there any legal body in India to whom we should raise such an issue?

Those who know more about this, please share the knowledge.It may be of help to many others in future too.
VinodDevil81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2014, 23:06   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_nitin_r View Post
At MASS, customers aren't permitted in the workshop area and are politely asked to step back into the lounge and have another cup of tea/coffee.
This is not true for all MASS. Many allow customers to be present at the work area. I rarely relax when my car is being serviced. I am always around it!
But some MASS'es do have the policy to not allow customers in the service area.
saket77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2014, 00:54   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
......... it is a rare occurrence, which could be a mix of part quality and poor inspection by MASS during servicing.
My 2001 WagonR is still going strong and did not have any such issue with rust. But I did have some parts getting worn out and replaced after the odo crossed 50 K kms, which included change of brake pads and liners (odo 50100), both drive shafts (cost 7800 at odo 51800), front struts( odo 55266), water pump and ac fan belts (odo 59000), lower arms and bushes (odo 60110) and brake caliper greasing (odo 66000).
Even I suspect this might be a unfortunate case of careless service and the parts quality and thanks for this info on the list of parts that were replaced, it should help some of us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinodDevil81 View Post
What you said is very much probable.But I don't think just this one instance is enough to pressurize a company like MSIL to initiate a recall.
What exactly is the way to make a company initiate a recall (either forcibly or voluntarily) if a customer or a group of customers come to know about a defectively manufactured part for a particular batch of cars?
Is there any legal body in India to whom we should raise such an issue?
Those who know more about this, please share the knowledge.It may be of help to many others in future too.
As I said, this could be a one of a case and when I enquired, I was not told of any such similar case of faulty lower arm on a Wagon R or any other cars. Also am not sure if they are even allowed to reveal, had there been any such. I believe it would be better if the members who own this car say. Calling on a recall to such a once popular car would be very big decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
This is not true for all MASS. Many allow customers to be present at the work area. I rarely relax when my car is being serviced. I am always around it!
But some MASS'es do have the policy to not allow customers in the service area.
Well at least here in Cochin, most of the service centres do not allow the owners on their work floor.

Guys, unfortunately the MASS disposed off the parts, so could not get hold off it to analyse. Shame that I forgot about it as I was away when Dad got the car back. Once again, thanks everyone who have read and replied to this thread.
jokuji is offline   Reply With Quote