Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 30th April 2014, 11:36   #46
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Why your "remote locking" immobilizer is useless

How difficult is it to get past the inbuilt steering lock set up within the car? The lock that click s when you twist the steering either ways after having pulled your keys out?
Red Liner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2014, 12:39   #47
BHPian

Hi guys,
I've read about Ravelco Anti-Theft Device recently. It looks so foolproof and solid, yet simple installation as per videos.
Unfortunately I couldn't locate any Indian dealers/Seller.
Anyone who have more info, care to put some light into this device?
The URL is below:
Ravelco
Arunshek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2014, 19:36   #48
Senior - BHPian

A geabox, steering or pedal lock is the least of any deterrent to a car thief, most car jackers give two hoots about these locks specifically.

I'm sure most of us know that generally cars costing upwards of 10 lakh aren't stolen on a hunch. Car jackers get specific details as to which variant they are looking for, colour, year of make etc. Then starts the looking around and usually a car is zeroed in based on the routine observed by these guys. Of course some car jackers have a higher risk taking ability so they don't believe in planning as much but this breed is rare. This is also the breed that gets caught too often Jacking a car as they spot it is rare for newer cars with immobilizers.

A car which is parked on a secluded street or parked unattended for long hours is going to be their first choice irrespective of the security gizmos it might boast of.

Let me just say that a guy who can jack an immobilizer equipped car is already prepared for getting rid of all additional locks in less than 5 mins!
fine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2014, 21:48   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
A geabox, steering or pedal lock is the least of any deterrent to a car thief, most car jackers give two hoots about these locks specifically.
I meant the steering lock that's inside the steering assy of the car.

Last edited by Technocrat : 10th May 2014 at 02:34. Reason: Please quote selectively as a long quoted post causes inconvenience to our mobile readers. Thanks
Red Liner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2014, 22:36   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
If they can get the ECU changed, what's the big deal with inserting a key that fits into the ignition, so that the steering can be turned?
joybhowmik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2014, 22:36   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
But with a duplicate key (even without the chip) that would unlock when twisted.

My point was that these locks are things of past now. You'd be amazed at what all these car jackers carry in their kit.

And did I already mention in another thread that there are courses on offer in Malaysia (might be other countries also but I know only of Malaysia) where if you have a few lakhs to spare and know how to operate a laptop, you'd be taken through instructor-led trainings on how to break into the most sophisticated of cars.

I think it was in 2009 when Maruti came with their immobilizer system and while most of the car jackers in India were trying to break in to a 2009 model Omni (because it was one of the cheapest cars to do any kind of destructive testing) there were some who simply flew to Malaysia and got hands-on training.
fine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2014, 14:32   #52
BHPian

Default Pajero Gone in 10 Seconds

The oldies on T-BHP will remember the spate of Pajero thefts in South Mumbai a few years ago. This is a video from 2007 where a Pajero parked outside our building was stolen in 10 seconds FLAT!!!

They came in a Santro (stolen that same night) and left with the Pajero.

A fellow T-BHP member's Yellow Pajero was also stolen from near PDP a few months after this theft. It was luckily traced by the cops the same day.

The Pajero is located on the opposite side of the road, behind the guardhouse.

@03:42:00 : Santro comes into view and a man comes out.
@03:42:10: Pajero door is opened.
@03:42:19: Pajero drives away.
@03:43:22 : Santro & Pajero come back on their getaway.

Watch on YouTube for Full Screen:

What's shocking is the owner got a new Pajero in a few weeks, and these guys came back for that one as well!!

But now the Driver had grown wise, and he would remove a Fuse every night after parking!! So this time, the Pajero stayed with the owner!!

Last edited by mikem : 3rd May 2014 at 14:36.
mikem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2014, 16:39   #53
VKS
BHPian

Nice thread. Nice Timing.

I recently got home Hyundai EON Sportz which comes with one remote Key and one normal spare key(Without Remote).

I wanted to overlay the existing remote locking system with a security system, the dealer said he can provide additional security system which will use the existing remote setup and the Keys.

My question is what happens if I misplace the only remote key I have.
The alarm will trigger if I use the spare key.

I enquired in some accessory shops and removing the existing remote locking and installing a new remote/security system is not advisable as the car is factory fitted with remote locking.
VKS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2014, 14:25   #54

Default Theft Attempt ! Guess the thieves duplicated my remote locking frequency

Hello bhpians,

It has been only 2 months with our new Nissan Micra Active XL and a theft attempt took place yesterday night. The attractive 2 DIN Sony Xplod music system with LCD touch screen fitted in our car has somebody's eye on it for sure.
My dad had gone to attend a function yesterday night and he had parked the car outside the venue, probably a dull lit area. After he returned and was driving back home, he happened to change the FM channel in the music system and to his surprise, the whole unit just got pushed inside the dashboard as if it was so loose and ready to drop. After inspection he found out that out of the 4 screws, 3 of them was kept on the dashboard and only a single screw was left to be taken out. Now, this unusual thing triggered a lot of questions in our minds.
  • There were no signs of forced unlocking in the car. How did anyone get inside and attempt the theft then?
  • The car was found normal in locked mode when my dad came back from the function. Does it mean somebody unlocked the doors (how?), tried taking off the music system, could not succeed or got interrupted somehow and then left everything as it is and locked the car again before flying off from the site?
  • Is it possible that somebody could have duplicated our remote locking frequency? Is it possible? how easy is it to do?
  • We do not have a driver, the cars keys are always either in the house or with my dad, who is the only one driving the car these days. How can somebody duplicate a remote if he does not have the original one?

This has raised serious concerns for us, in case somebody has duplicated our remote, we need to get its frequency changed soon. But I am still confused rather amazed on how one can duplicate a remote locking without having access to the original one? Need your views and suggestions guys
apoorv agha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2014, 22:44   #55
BHPian

Default Re: Theft Attempt ! Guess the thieves duplicated my remote locking frequency

I have seen roadside assistance folks in the US open locked cars. It is child's play.

All they do is take an air wedge and slide it between the door edge and the B pillar, then they inflate it and that creates a gap between the door and the B pillar. Slide in something to prod the door open button and the car gets unlocked. This does not leave any trace of forced entry into the car.

Last edited by CrackedHead : 9th May 2014 at 23:02.
CrackedHead is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2014, 23:21   #56
BHPian

Default Re: Theft Attempt ! Guess the thieves duplicated my remote locking frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackedHead View Post
I have seen roadside assistance folks in the US open locked cars. It is child's play.

All they do is take an air wedge and slide it between the door edge and the B pillar, then they inflate it and that creates a gap between the door and the B pillar. Slide in something to prod the door open button and the car gets unlocked. This does not leave any trace of forced entry into the car.
If you do this, the alarm will go off. Then you would have to pop the bonnet and disconnect the siren. And if that's so, the owner would notice it when he comes back to the car.
ak916 is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2014, 00:19   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak916 View Post
If you do this, the alarm will go off. Then you would have to pop the bonnet and disconnect the siren. And if that's so, the owner would notice it when he comes back to the car.
That is if the car has an alarm. Many cars don't.
CrackedHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2014, 01:45   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apoorv agha View Post
Is it possible that somebody could have duplicated our remote locking frequency? Is it possible? how easy is it to do?
Check this recent thread on this topic (link (Why your "remote locking" immobilizer is useless)).
Voyager-1 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2014, 08:02   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackedHead View Post

This is an age old technique to open locked cars and very effective if you know where to find the door lock inside. I have myself opened my cars like this many a times in case I have left my keys inside and locked the car. But yes these days most cars come with remote locking and in such instances the alarm would go off.
drmohitg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2014, 19:15   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
This is a hoax. It does not work.
You can try it if you want to
No Tsk, it's not a hoax. I had an AutoCop installed in my Qualis the day I had bought it in 2000. It came with two remotes and when I heard about this trick a few years later I did try it with two cellphones over a distance of 27km and it did work.
Cheers
FarPatel is online now   Reply With Quote