Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


View Poll Results: Pick One
ABS 225 74.26%
Airbag 78 25.74%
Voters: 303. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2014, 17:25   #31
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Santoshbhat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,784
Thanked: 3,021 Times
Default Re: ABS or Airbag: If you had to pick one?

I agree with a lot of other members when they its not really an option and that both are needed. But even then if I had to pick one over the other, I'd pick ABS. In my last 15 years of driving, I haven't had even a single incident of Airbag deployment or an impact severe enough to deploy Airbags (given that I have also driven a lot of non Airbag cars), but I've had several occasions where ABS as a safety feature has come into play.

Its high the Govt. made these two features mandatory in all automobiles. People don't wear seat belts that are there in the car and that are required to be worn by law in some cities. Its tough to expect them to pay extra for safety features that are optional, esp in segments which are price sensitive.

I myself am guilty of choosing a non ABS/Airbag car over one that has these features when I picked up my i10 couple of years back. My reasoning was that this car is strictly a city runabout where these features don't come into play so much. Also the AT version that I bought is a very slow mover. Am I entirely wrong in my assessment?
Santoshbhat is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2014, 17:49   #32
BHPian
 
createrkid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 221
Thanked: 292 Times
Default Re: ABS or Airbag: If you had to pick one?

I'd choose airbags simply because Indian road users are highly unpredictable. In a way, it's slightly difficult to narrow down to one choice. We've been driving non ABS cars for decades, it's not a highly important thing, I'm also not saying that it isn't important but it helps to have ABS but if you stick to safe highway driving, you really don't need to use ABS unless a biker swerves into your lane in which case I'd pick the ABS. I'm sorry but it's really silly to think of only one option. It has to be both. Our moderator Ajmat aptly put it across :-)
createrkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2014, 17:49   #33
Senior - BHPian
 
IshaanIan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Hyd/B'lore
Posts: 2,437
Thanked: 3,132 Times
Default Re: ABS or Airbag: If you had to pick one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
I myself am guilty of choosing a non ABS/Airbag car over one that has these features when I picked up my i10 couple of years back. My reasoning was that this car is strictly a city runabout where these features don't come into play so much. Also the AT version that I bought is a very slow mover. Am I entirely wrong in my assessment?
Considering that the average human weighing about 80 kilos would be thrown forward with an effective weight well in excess of 3 tonnes during a crash at a mere 45 kmph (city speeds), I would say, yes. Being the educated car enthusiasts that we are, going in for a car with no safety features in the 21st century, especially when one has the choice, is a little "wrong". Add to that the fact that we live in India a country well known for it's careless drivers put on the roads by extremely laughable driving tests, we could easily be in a crash that isn't entirely our fault. Imagine someone coming at you on the wrong side of the road, impact force would be drastically increased in such cases.

One could always argue that they always wear their seatbelt. I for one, would still hate to take that risk. Considering the fact that in India, whether you are in a crash or not, is not entirely upto you.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 19th May 2014 at 17:53.
IshaanIan is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2014, 19:02   #34
BHPian
 
iamahunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Hopping around
Posts: 194
Thanked: 436 Times
Default Re: ABS or Airbag: If you had to pick one?

My Choice : ABS.

I believe in taking precautions and therefore ABS seals the deal for me.

ABS is not only useful at high speeds, but also at low speeds when the road provides with no traction.
For example: In case of an oil spill, even slightest of braking at low speeds tends to lockup the wheel, in case you are in a car and a bike slips and falls right ahead of you, ABS in your car may save the biker's life. (real example, I was on the bike and slipped at 10-15 kmph).

I would not say that Airbags are useless. Say if you're at a standstill and an out of control vehicle hits you head on, Airbags may save your life.

Its good to have both, but in case of a choice I would always prefer ABS.

And yes, one basic piece of safety which should not be ignored, SEAT BELT.
iamahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2014, 20:18   #35
BHPian
 
prakhar1998's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Berkeley, CA
Posts: 288
Thanked: 494 Times
Default Re: ABS or Airbag: If you had to pick one?

Both are essential safety devices, but if I had to choose one I would go for Airbags. I do believe in prevention than cure, but the truth is, the roads, especially in India are very unpredictable. Even though you might be able to avert an accident due to better brakes, most accidents are unpreventable.In such a situation, ABS just can't help you. Accidents don't always take place because of the driver's mistake, but sometimes because of the others too. Airbags in such situations would be very helpful.
prakhar1998 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2014, 20:27   #36
Senior - BHPian
 
scopriobharath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,565
Thanked: 1,175 Times
Thumbs down Re: ABS or Airbag: If you had to pick one?

I did not vote on this.

If i asked to choose ABS or airbags on my next car, I will dump that model and move on to another trim / model / manufacturer.

When it comes to color, i can live without my favorite color, but when it comes to safety of my family, I will choose both.
scopriobharath is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2014, 20:47   #37
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: India
Posts: 9,364
Thanked: 13,337 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakhar1998 View Post
Even though you might be able to avert an accident due to better brakes, most accidents are unpreventable.In such a situation, ABS just can't help you. Accidents don't always take place because of the driver's mistake, but sometimes because of the others too. Airbags in such situations would be very helpful.
>> What if the accident happens from rear?

>> What if the accident happens from the side? (Car in question may not have curtain airbags)

>> What if the accident happens in places where the airbag sensor is not located and airbags DO NOT deploy?

I am NOT saying ABS is the best and the only life saver tool but yes averting an accident is possible. The are instances where the ABS could also fail like roads with loose gravel, when aquaplaning happens.

So the point I'm trying to make is both are needed but the ABS would be helpful in our cases as sudden braking happens when animals, humans suddenly appearing on the path.

Anurag.
a4anurag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2014, 21:21   #38
BHPian
 
prakhar1998's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Berkeley, CA
Posts: 288
Thanked: 494 Times
Default Re: ABS or Airbag: If you had to pick one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
>> What if the accident happens from rear?

>> What if the accident happens from the side? (Car in question may not have curtain airbags)

>> What if the accident happens in places where the airbag sensor is not located and airbags DO NOT deploy?

I am NOT saying ABS is the best and the only life saver tool but yes averting an accident is possible. The are instances where the ABS could also fail like roads with loose gravel, when aquaplaning happens.

So the point I'm trying to make is both are needed but the ABS would be helpful in our cases as sudden braking happens when animals, humans suddenly appearing on the path.

Anurag.
Anurag, I totally agree with your point. These cases definitely are very common. A car with ABS does make it more controllable and reduces stopping distance. But, many aspects come into play. See, normal brakes are omnipresent, so they will do their job as intended. ABS would only make it more effective. But, Airbag, even though a supplementary restraint system, can prevent fatalities. Driver response is the biggest culprit, and in that moment of shock, sometimes the brake press action is delayed, or just not there. In such cases especially, airbags would be helpful.
prakhar1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2014, 21:50   #39
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: kochi
Posts: 18
Thanked: 18 Times
Default Re: ABS or Airbag: If you had to pick one?

''Prevention is better than cure''

ABS would be my pick as it not only helps in panic braking situations but on everyday situations as well. For eg: driving on slippery roads ABS kicks in early. Also it evokes a sense of confidence in the driver as ABS reduces the stopping distance considerably.

The Airbag is a must have feature too but, it is a feature which isn't used very often. I don't know if 50% of the cars equipped with airbags had the opportunity to use them.

But, when something unfortunate happens nothing can match the safety provided by the airbags.n
Ren8 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2014, 22:23   #40
BHPian
 
Turbo Head's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 257
Thanked: 68 Times
Default Re: ABS or Airbag: If you had to pick one?

Though both have equal footing in case of any eventuality, however given the particular case that one can only use either or ABS or Airbag, my choice would be undoubtedly ABS.

Reason as mentioned by others as well, one prevents and other saves, so if an accident can be prevented/averted then one might not need an Airbag at all.
Turbo Head is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2014, 22:54   #41
Senior - BHPian
 
ad3952n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Noida (U.P)
Posts: 1,583
Thanked: 1,837 Times
Default Re: ABS or Airbag: If you had to pick one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Head View Post
Though both have equal footing in case of any eventuality, however given the particular case that one can only use either or ABS or Airbag, my choice would be undoubtedly ABS.
one prevents and other saves, so if an accident can be prevented/averted then one might not need an Airbag at all.
Very true mate, I agree totally with you because safe driving practices if followed then accidents can be avoided to a great extent.

My choice is also ABS since it actually avoids the collision which results in non-usage of airbags. However, as some of our friends have mentioned here about rear ending or side-way hitting, I guess airbags do come up as potential life saver.

The title of this thread has made me think again and again that why are we made to compromise our safety on roads while driving ?

Till now, I thought only car loaded with aesthetic accessories were bought on a premium but now even safety comes at a premium.

My respect goes out to the member who came up with this thoughtful topic.

Thanks
ad3952n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2014, 00:21   #42
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Chennai
Posts: 393
Thanked: 110 Times
Default Re: ABS or Airbag: If you had to pick one?

You should have both safety features. After all health is wealth.

But if i had to choose one, it would be ABS.

I own a VW Vento TDI and It is very reassuring when you sense the ABS kick in even if you are only driving on slippery surfaces or undulations.

Whatever bumps i have had, has always been to do with some guy whacking me from behind because he couldnt manage his brakes.

So ABS it is if my commute was a run within the city at moderate speeds. If any speedier/higway driving is involved, id take airbags too
acidkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2014, 01:02   #43
BHPian
 
TorqueyTechie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 705
Thanked: 1,015 Times
Default Re: ABS or Airbag: If you had to pick one?

Its difficult to answer this question since both are really the basic thing one has to have in a car rather than any other fancy stuff. But coming back to your question, I selected Airbags. Reason is below.

Many people would ideally select ABS since its a device which can prevent tires from getting locked and the driver being able to control the car. But in India where there are more accidents because of negligence by others (wrong line driving, rear ending, accidents due to jumping signals or intersections), it makes sense to have airbags as the driver would not be able to react as quickly as possible for the ABS to work. This was the case as well before ABS was developed and the drivers were doing the pumping action on the brakes to get the car in control.
TorqueyTechie is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2014, 08:13   #44
Distinguished - BHPian
 
drmohitg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 4,479
Thanked: 3,624 Times
Default Re: ABS or Airbag: If you had to pick one?

Both are absolutely must have in your car. For the sake of the thread, if I have to choose one then it would be the airbags. I trust my driving ability to compensate for the lack of ABS in my car and would drive accordingly. But even then in unfortunate incidents, I would have the airbags to rely upon and have that peace of mind.
drmohitg is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2014, 08:26   #45
BHPian
 
iamswift's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Madras
Posts: 183
Thanked: 65 Times
Default Re: ABS or Airbag: If you had to pick one?

I see lot of "prevention is better than cure" line of messages.
But the problem is, what will you do when you can't prevent? There are so many variables involved where you cannot prevent.
In that sense, ABS is bumper saver. Airbag is life saver.
iamswift is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The One Thing you wish you had in life ad3952n Shifting gears 62 24th March 2014 17:44
Belle Beast! It had to be different & it had to be CEDIA Sports Yellow Path_Finder Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 61 4th November 2008 21:17
if you were to buy, which one would you pick _Crazi4Speed_ The International Automotive Scene 4 3rd March 2004 06:41


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 23:05.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks