Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 3rd June 2014, 14:44   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Will a normal car run on Aviation Fuel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motard_Blr View Post
Higher octance fuel allows the use of higher compression ratios that are typical with high performance cars. Most high performance engines of the last decade or more have incorporated sensors to detect detonation(knocking). When the ECU senses detonation, it reacts by retarding the ignition timing.

Normal performance cars have engines with compression ratios designed for lower RON fuel. High performance engines have compression ratios designed for higher RON fuel. If the engine detects knocking when you use lower octane fuel, it retards ignition timing and as a consequence, reduces power. Conversely, the ECU advances ignition to the designed optimum timing when no knock is detected. Retarding ignition timing this way is less likely to occur with normal performance engines.

So this is why using high octane fuel in normal cars will not have positive effects whereas there might be a significant positive difference in a high performance car. Simply put, a high performance engine can make use of higher detonation resistance of high octane fuels to produce more power.
Correct, to my earlier point, it has no use for a given engine to introduce a fuel with a higher octane numbe then it was designed for. Modern electronics can compensate a bit for a to low octane number, but that comes at the expense of performance degradation.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2014, 14:44   #32
BHPian

My neighbour who owns a diesel liva didn't get a dose of aviation fuel but after filling up atleast 5 litres of petrol he realised the mistake that he was topping up petrol instead of diesel. The person filling the fuel apologised if his mistake and pleaded not to complain. The owner then filled diesel upto brim to improve the diesel content and drove without encountering any issues.
I agree it was a mistake on both the counterparts that they didn't notice the wrong fuel being filled.
But my question is are there any chances of damage to the engine or what should be the safety measures the owner should take to avoid any engine damage in this case ?
Slush_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2014, 16:00   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slush_Traveller View Post
My neighbour who owns a diesel liva didn't get a dose of aviation fuel but after filling up atleast 5 litres of petrol he realised the mistake that he was topping up petrol instead of diesel. The person filling the fuel apologised if his mistake and pleaded not to complain. The owner then filled diesel upto brim to improve the diesel content and drove without encountering any issues.

I agree it was a mistake on both the counterparts that they didn't notice the wrong fuel being filled.

But my question is are there any chances of damage to the engine or what should be the safety measures the owner should take to avoid any engine damage in this case ?

If you want to be hundred percent safe, you drain the tank. Its all down to how much petrol would be in the diesel, ie the mix. Ive had similar mistakes in the past on VW/Audi TDI engines. I think it was also around five liters on a tank of diesel. Started and drove on and I drove happily with these cars for 150.000 km each. Expected problems are mainly the HP fuel pump and injectors as lubrication is affected.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2014, 17:20   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slush_Traveller View Post
I'm not sure about the end result of filling petrol in a diesel car but my friend had the opposite experience - pump attendant filled diesel into his petrol Ikon and he ended up footing a huge bill for repairs.

Petrol being a cleaner fuel than diesel, putting diesel into a petrol engine might clog/block/destroy some of the petrol specific components. Expecting the experts to clarify if I'm correct.
zenren is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2014, 18:24   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
I'm not sure about the end result of filling petrol in a diesel car but my friend had the opposite experience - pump attendant filled diesel into his petrol Ikon and he ended up footing a huge bill for repairs.

Petrol being a cleaner fuel than diesel, putting diesel into a petrol engine might clog/block/destroy some of the petrol specific components. Expecting the experts to clarify if I'm correct.

On diesel your engine simply wont run. So if you add diesel into a largely empty petrol tank and dnot notice this is what will happen: the car will start normally becasue the whole fuel system is still full of petrol. But it will fill very quickly, even at idle with diesel. Then it will just quit. You will have to drain the tank, replace all fuel filter and you need to slush and clean every component in the fuel system, pumps, valves, injectors, tubing etc.
So big repair job!
Jeroen
Old 5th June 2014, 01:01   #36
Team-BHP Support

Diesel in a petrol car is less dangerous than petrol in a diesel car. The latter will totally destroy the engine, while former will still be salvageable
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2014, 07:15   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Diesel in a petrol car is less dangerous than petrol in a diesel car. The latter will totally destroy the engine, while former will still be salvageable
After such a bold statement maybe you should explain why and under which conditions diesel will totally destroy the engine. At what diesel to petrol ratio will the engine be totally destroyed, why, which parts of the engine, etc.
Jeroen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2014, 08:36   #38
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
After such a bold statement maybe you should explain why and under which conditions diesel will totally destroy the engine. At what diesel to petrol ratio will the engine be totally destroyed, why, which parts of the engine, etc.
Actually, other way round.
Petrol in diesel car will cause much more damage than diesel in petrol car because it destroys the fuel pump
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2014, 09:16   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Petrol in diesel car will cause much more damage than diesel in petrol car because it destroys the fuel pump
Correct, that is why I asked for clarification on your first bold statement which was wrong.

The most important thing is that when you're filling up your tank and all of a sudden you realize you're putting in the wrong fuel, stop immediately and DON'T START. As long you haven't started the engine all you have to do is drain the tank and refill with the appropiate fuel, that's all. Without starting the contemantion will only be in the tank, nothing else.

Jeroen

Last edited by Rehaan : 23rd July 2015 at 19:43. Reason: Removing video from quote :)
Old 5th June 2014, 09:27   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
I don't see any difference between the two statements except rephrasing!
zenren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2014, 09:46   #41
BHPian

Yupp, perhaps Jeroen read it otherwise miatakenly. That is why he called it "such a bold statement". And then said that the earlier statement was wrong.
itsashishsharma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2014, 10:48   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Correct, that is why I asked for clarification on your first bold statement which was wrong.
Was it?

"Diesel in a petrol car is less dangerous than petrol in a diesel car. The latter will totally destroy the engine, while former will still be salvageable"

I said the same thing in both my statements that petrol in diesel car is more dangerous!
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2014, 10:49   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes, I see I did not read your first post correctly, sorry about that
Old 23rd July 2015, 19:44   #44
Team-BHP Support

Here's a really great video that might help answer the question, as well as definitely teach most of us a few things we didn't know about:
  • Jet-A (Jet Fuel)
  • Diesel
  • Heating Oil
  • Kerosene
  • Av-gas (100 Low-Lead)
  • Gasoline (Petrol)
  • Butane
  • Propane

Last edited by Rehaan : 23rd July 2015 at 19:47.
Rehaan is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2015, 13:34   #45
Team-BHP Support

Oh, and regarding his incorrect mention of "individual atoms" here's his reply from the youtube comments:

Yes you are correct I made a mistake. The hydrocarbons do not break into individual atoms when sprayed in a mist. A more correct explanation would be the ratio of surface area to volume increases greatly thus allowing a higher percentage of the hydrocarbons to be in contact with oxygen thus the LEL is exceeded and self sustaining combustion can be maintained.
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote