Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 25th July 2006, 21:38   #31
BHPian

Hi all,

Can anyone guide me to find good vacuum source in my esteem....I wish to try different source for my ozone generating experiment....earlier I tried base of my carburetor...........

Enjoy.......

Edit : Sorry I posted in wrong thread...

Last edited by finetuning : 25th July 2006 at 21:49.
finetuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2006, 10:15   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Shiva
The guy I spoke to is suggesting BRC kits for 24 thousand each (2 Optras). He said this is the only kit which is approved for Optra. No cutting of any wires or anything.

We live in Versova and this guy is located next to Balakrishna Tyres opposite ZAF on the Link Road. He was recommended by my neighbour who just installed a kit in his Accent.

Any comments?
I have BRC kit in my OHC and it does work beautifully. Yes, there are specific approved kits for specific cars, specially high-end- you can refer to the govt approved sheet with the mechanic. 24 thousand is four grand extra, but its a small amount if you are sure about the mechanic.
Cheers,
Samrat
Samrat Banerjee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2006, 16:40   #33
BANNED

Hey Samrat, it's 24k x 2 = 48k for 2 Optras.

If he's charging 8k more in total then I think I'm getting ripped off. I'm not 100% sure of this guy. My neighbour vouches for him (but he's no great expert either).

Can you suggest someone else in the suburbs (andheri w)
Boom Shiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2006, 17:44   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Could you please recommend the best kits, so I can ask for them specifically and not end up with the aforementioned "chaalu" kits?

Thanks
Hey boom shiva, i had an lpg kit called landi renzo on my cielo, it was an mpfi kit with the emulator and all, drove my car for more than 80k kms on gas, never had any problems with the engine, injectors or fuel pump. Even the kit needed servicing only one in 6 months or say about 10k kms, i got the diaphragm inside the kit changed once after the car had done some 60 k kms on lpg. but you never get the pep of petrol, for economy it's the best bet.
Lukeskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2006, 18:15   #35
BANNED

Thanks Skywalker, good to hear a positive review. You planning on putting one in your Optra anytime?

I don't expect to get the pep of petrol. For that I can always switch to petrol mode - I thought that was the great thing about having a bi-fuel option, you get the best of both worlds.

In any case, for 90% of my driving in bumper to bumper traffic, I don't really need much pep, just perseverance
Boom Shiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2006, 18:26   #36
Senior - BHPian

[I don't expect to get the pep of petrol. For that I can always switch to petrol mode - I thought that was the great thing about having a bi-fuel option, you get the best of both worlds.

In any case, for 90% of my driving in bumper to bumper traffic, I don't really need much pep, just perseverance [/quote]

Precisely why i went in for lpg on my car, as for optra will have to wait out till warranty lasts or selling off the car which ever happens first
Old 26th July 2006, 23:18   #37
BHPian

My experience with carb esteem is good.....only thing is that while tuning the car.....u have to take care to tune it correctly in petrol mode then switch over to lpg then again tune at vapourizer end for gas setting....for more power we can open the gas screw.....this will make the mixture rich......by experience one can learn how much to open gas screw without affecting the mileage......smoothness in lpg is very good....when petrol at the bottom of tank we get dirt & waste getting clogged into jets there by affecting performance....in lpg...its not so....also no chance of adulteration....if setting is done correctly to compensate loss of power in lpg then hardly any difference is felt compared to petol.....
Enjoy.......
Old 27th July 2006, 00:04   #38
BHPian

I found very interesting link explaining why there is power loss in lpg & how to overcome it....

http://www.naftc.wvu.edu/technical/indepth/LPG/LPG.html

Enjoy.......
Old 27th July 2006, 01:28   #39
Senior - BHPian

Thumbs up

Guys,

Been reading this thread past few days... had given my Getz for a Lovato LPG kit (Lambda + Emulator + all Italian parts etc) install and got it a few hours ago... well... initial review is good... there is little to no difference between LPG and Petrol. Will fill er up on LPG tommorow and give you an in depth review. Dont know if its the higher octane or what, but in a couple of patches during my short drive back home, it felt as if there was more low-end power on LPG.

You guys know how I am, extremely fussy... about anything installed in my car and all. I really left this one up to these guys (as Im really running very busy these days and had no time to supervise)... I have to say at this point though... Autogas India, the official folks for Lovato, did a great install at their dealers.

Will post pics of the install soon... Go Green...
gunbir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2006, 10:42   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Hey Samrat, it's 24k x 2 = 48k for 2 Optras.

If he's charging 8k more in total then I think I'm getting ripped off. I'm not 100% sure of this guy. My neighbour vouches for him (but he's no great expert either).

Can you suggest someone else in the suburbs (andheri w)
Boom Shiva,
If you are not sure of the guy dont take your Optra to him. I would not, because there are plenty of mechanics who are riding on the LPG/ CNG conversion wave.
Would advice you to not go for location, but find a capable and reliable guy for the work on your Optra. Talk to a mechanic whos done jobs on Optras, and ask to speak to his Optra customers for a honest feedback.
Cheers,
Samrat
Samrat Banerjee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2006, 10:53   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samrat Banerjee
Boom Shiva,
If you are not sure of the guy dont take your Optra to him. I would not, because there are plenty of mechanics who are riding on the LPG/ CNG conversion wave.
Samrat
I fully agree with Samrat, one quack mechanic almost screwed up my entire car when i first tried converting it, moreover that guy was recommended by a friend, anyway, got it done at a reputed place for free, that's another story altogether.
Old 30th January 2007, 08:27   #42

Default Regarding timing advancer

Hello M Power,
Can you tell me what exactly is a timing advancer module. IS it something standard the Gas converter fixes during conversion or do I have to fix it extra. Can you tell me any other way to get decent power and to get good mileage in gas

Prem
prem456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2007, 15:44   #43
BHPian

After reading the whole thread I am still a bit confused ! Does LPG lead to Lower Emission Norms . SO in other words the Wagon R DUO when run on LPG mode should give lower emissions and higher mileage as compared to when the same runs on petrol or am I missing some thing ??? :-)
nikunj_cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2007, 20:46   #44
BHPian

Default l p g conversions,

There are some things which can actually be benificial if u change to lpg.. if ur car engine has a knock sensor, the engine ecu will keep on advancing the ignition till its just short of knocking.. auto lpg has two gases which octane ratings are 76 and 112 so the engine will produce more torque throughout the rpm pangs hence more bhp.
if ur car engine is made/designed in italy be sure its designed to run on lpg/cng/lng so it wont hurt at alll.
monatery gains are only one part of it ..
we will save a lot of polution by using cleaper leaner and greener fuel.
everyone should look at lpg as least harmful way of driving the car
TURBOSAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2007, 23:57   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBOSAM View Post
if ur car engine has a knock sensor, the engine ecu will keep on advancing the ignition till its just short of knocking..
Could this be the reason that my Alto doesnt jerk while I run on LPG? I suspect this to be the issue.
mail4ajo is offline   Reply With Quote