Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 17th July 2014, 09:56   #1
BHPian

Default Skoda Superb Diesel DSG: Hunting for gears after 3rd

Need some help with the Superb 2.0 TDI AT. Its a 2011, 23400 km driven car with great service history and no problems till now whatsoever. Till Tuesday, there were no issues. Yesterday, when i took it out for a spin, i felt something strange from the gearbox. It has started hunting for gears after 3rd. i.e After the 3rd gear, it seems to have a mind of its own, sometimes going up to 6th at 45 kph while sometimes it stays in 4th . All this on roads with same gradient and no traffic. I can feel the gear changes as well as the loss of power due to being in a higher gear.

*Fuel not an issue since i was on the same tank of diesel from 8 days.
*No CheckEL or error messages on MID.
*No error messages on Torque App via OBD II Scanner.
*Sport Mode has the same gear hunting problem.
*Tip-Tronic is what i have been using from yesterday. The manual control is okay for now.

What can be the issue with the DQ250? It is much more reliable than the DQ200 I guess?
searchingheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2014, 11:51   #2
Team-BHP Support

Default re: Skoda Superb Diesel DSG: Hunting for gears after 3rd

Quote:
Originally Posted by searchingheaven View Post
Need some help with the Superb 2.0 TDI AT. Its a 2011, 23400 km driven car with great service history and no problems till now whatsoever.
================
What can be the issue with the DQ250? It is much more reliable than the DQ200 I guess?
Get a scan done, will help you get some details of the issue. Maybe it needs a software recalibration/upgrade, can cause such issues.
Jaggu is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2014, 12:02   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Need some help with the Superb 2.0 TDI AT. Its a 2011, 23400 km driven car with great service history and no problems till now whatsoever.
When you show the car to the service guys, just check the gearbox oil as well. Its good for 4 years or 60k kms, but you never know. I have the same engine/gearbox combo and havent faced a single issue so far. Do update us in case some software update is being done.

All the best for resolving the issue.

Rohan
RohanDheman is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2014, 14:49   #4
Senior - BHPian

Assuming nothing else has been tinkered around, first check the accelerator pedal for loose connection (or similar abnormalities).

Spike
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2014, 15:31   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Assuming nothing else has been tinkered around, first check the accelerator pedal for loose connection (or similar abnormalities).

Spike
I agree with Spike, looks like a faulty accelerator pedal sensor. A removal of the battery terminals for sometime to reset back everything and check would be a good idea too before going to the service station.
humyum is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2014, 09:25   #6
BHPian

Default Re: Skoda Superb Diesel DSG: Hunting for gears after 3rd

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post

Spike
Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
I agree with Spike, looks like a faulty accelerator pedal sensor. A removal of the battery terminals for sometime to reset back everything and check would be a good idea too before going to the service station.
Highly unlikely its the accelerator pedal. He mentioned that the manual control over the gearbox is ok and the automatic shifts- D and S mode that are having trouble finding a gear. If the accelerator pedal was at fault, he would have had problems in the manual mode as well.

Was reading up on it online last night and most likely seems to be an electronic issue.

Lets hope searchingheaven can provide an update soon.

Cheers
Rohan
RohanDheman is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2014, 13:51   #7
BHPian

Extremely sorry to have been late to update this thread. Car was at the workshop for 2 days and after analysing the issue, they have come to the conclusion that the ECM is faulty. Under warranty, the part has been ordered & will take 2-3 weeks to arrive. Car is grounded for now since I realized that while driving it overtaking moves are becoming too risky. While at 60, I it is sometimes changing to 5th which is causing a power drop. Hence, we have decided not to use it until the part arrives. Would like to know from owners if the ECM failure is common or not?
searchingheaven is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2014, 17:12   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Would like to know from owners if the ECM failure is common or not?
I haven't had ECM failure in my superb. But you are lucky it is being covered under warranty without a fuss.
Sahil is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote