Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 26th July 2006, 12:45   #16
BHPian

Supreme,

Don't worry, even my Baleno does the same thing. Why, even my PalioS10 did it. Whenever I opened the hatch, the interior light would come on. My suggestion is to put off the interior light completely if you are going to keep the door/s open for a long time. Don't meddle with any wiring. Just make sure that none of the lamps are on continuously or you'll end up with a dead battery
Floyd de Souza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2006, 13:19   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd de Souza
Supreme, Don't worry, even my Baleno does the same thing. Why, even my PalioS10 did it.
Floyd, the moment I read this, I was a relieved man. But then, after reading the next few lines, I think there is a confusion here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd de Souza
Whenever I opened the hatch, the interior light would come on. My suggestion is to put off the interior light completely if you are going to keep the door/s open for a long time. Don't meddle with any wiring.
Are we confusing the interior light (cabin light) with the boot/trunk light ? Looks like that bcos you suggest that I put off the light if I am going to keep the doors open for a long time. Bcos, only the cabin lamp can be switched off - the boot light does not have a switch to on/off. I do not have any issue with the cabin light - I usually keep the switch in "always off" position. My problem is with the boot light, which comes on even when the boot is closed, but any other door is open.

In your Baleno, keep the doors fully closed and open the boot lid. The boot light would come on. Now, bring the boot lid down, but dont shut it (gives you some space to see whether the light is on or off - another way is to fold down the rear seat, but it is more work). Now, the boot light should go off. Then open any door and see if the boot light comes on. If it does, then I guess the Balenos are wired this way (however stupid it might seem). If the light does not come on, then my car wiring has an issue.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 26th July 2006 at 13:21.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2006, 13:33   #18
BHPian

wud check on my baleno today & confirm tommorow.
naveendhyani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2006, 14:12   #19
BHPian

Yo! Its normal

The bootlight comes on with the doors opening

Happens in My car too
Revvhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2006, 14:56   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvhead
Yo! Its normal The bootlight comes on with the doors opening. Happens in My car too
Thanks, Revvhead. BTW, what position do you keep your cabin light switch at ? Just wondering whether your boot light coming on when a door is open has anything to do with any particular setting of the cabin light switch.

But don't you guys think, this is kind of dangerous. Assume that you park the car for a few days and did not close one of the doors tightly. The boot light comes on, but is not visible to you. You come after a couple of days and the battery is dead. Lug it to the battery guy, wait for half a day for it to charge. etc etc.

One workaround that I found for this is to start using the cabin light (which has 3 settings - fully off, lights on when a door opens, always on). As a practice, I used to always keep it at fully off. But to overcome the current problem, I have put it at the "lights on when a door opens" position. This will alert me to a situation where the door is not closed properly.
But the con is that, if I miss the cabin light being on, then I have 2 bulbs burning away to glory and the battery will be dead much earlier, than with just the boot light on.

BTW, I wrote to MUL yesterday and got a reply today. Instead of answering my query about the way the system is designed (which was what I asked them), they want to know which MASS handled this issue.
Old 26th July 2006, 15:32   #21
BHPian

Default Suggestion

What ever may be the MUL system or any other system to keep boot light "ON", by opening any door, if u dont wan't this light to be "ON" every time, simply disturb the original wiring harness, and connect the light through one spst switch, when ever u open the boot, if u want to light up the boot, just push the switch to "ON" boot light...........
subbarao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2006, 22:27   #22
BHPian

in my baleno also the same thing happens that is if yu open any door the light will glow. so dont panic.......

are those leds available in india for boot light ,park light and brake light for saving battery :d

Last edited by premdiv : 26th July 2006 at 22:29.
premdiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2006, 09:56   #23
BHPian

My switch is always at centre,
Switches on when the doors are open.

Well id it dangerous: No,
Is it inconvienient to have yr battery run out- hell yeah,

But seriously, look at this way, if you mistakenly left your door partly open, and the light was on, and were away for a few days, Your batt would run out- right- But your door is open, so the risk of car theft is much higher cost than a lost battery,(I would be worrying about that)

So, if the light does drain the batt, all the better your car wont get stolen,as no one can drive it off.

On a more straightfoirward note- basically, its a small lapse/ mistake leaving the dorr, open. If it happens, well **** happens. I( happened to leave my headlights on once ( very recently) as when i has sstopped the car, i got a call, and my friends who i was to meet all turned up at the same time,as i result the headlights gt left on, i went had dinner!!!!! And came back and was screwed!!

Push started the car , ran it for 30 mins and i was OK. so............ **** happens
Revvhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2006, 11:11   #24
BHPian

I think the MASS did some wrong wiring.... I checked my swift and the boot light is on only when the boot is open. It is independent of the door sensors.
I advise you to go to a dealer and get it rectified.
ksethuram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2006, 12:04   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by premdiv
in my baleno also the same thing happens that is if yu open any door the light will glow. so dont panic.......
@premdiv, in what position is your cabin light switch ? I am guessing that it is at the middle position ie. lights on when door opens. I have this feeling that when the cabin light switch is at this setting, the wiring might be done such that boot light also comes on when any door is opened. And when cabin light is at always off position, the boot light should not come up when a door is opened. I am just guessing here, because the owner's manual is not clear.

Quote:
My switch is always at centre, Switches on when the doors are open.
As mentioned above, I think at this setting, the boot light might be wired to come on. Not sure, though.

Quote:
Well id it dangerous: No, Is it inconvienient to have yr battery run out- hell yeah,
Agree. Wrong choice of word on my part. It is inconvenient, not dangerous as I mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksethuram
I think the MASS did some wrong wiring.... I checked my swift and the boot light is on only when the boot is open. It is independent of the door sensors.
That's what I also feel. What I am going to do is rush to a dealer one of these days and check how it works on the Baleno's on display. Also would like to see the connection between the cabin light switch setting and boot light functioning, if any. Will report my findings on this thread.
Old 27th July 2006, 14:23   #26
Senior - BHPian

i checked up my baleno. boot light comes on only when i open the boot . cabin light only when any of the door is opened. i also checked these with cabin light switch in all position and it is same.
open the boot and press the boot switch with hand and see the light goes off, then it is functioning.
off late if they have started wiring the boot light to cabin switch i am not aware of it but dont find any logics in it, if boot light is on so will the cabin also. boot cannot be seperately on. hence it has to be a wiring mistake.
gigy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2006, 14:37   #27
BHPian

Yes all the lights in the interior are on one circuit, open the boot, and cabin lights come on, and vice versa.
Month back I had washed the rubber mat in the boot on a Saturday to get rid of some odor, and left the boot open to dry it out. Then I forgot about this, closed the garage door. I reopened the garage after the weekend to take the car to work Monday, battery was fully dead. Maruti emergency car came in 20 minutes and jump-started me. I had to do a 50 km drive, and that was enough to charge the battery (got it checked the next day and it showed full charge. **** happens!
filcord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2006, 16:10   #28
DRC
BHPian

Quote:
But don't you guys think, this is kind of dangerous. Assume that you park the car for a few days and did not close one of the doors tightly. The boot light comes on, but is not visible to you. You come after a couple of days and the battery is dead. Lug it to the battery guy, wait for half a day for it to charge. etc etc.
If you have the habit of not tightly locking the doors, care less about the battery, and more about the car itself!
DRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2006, 16:29   #29
BHPian

I guess the behavior of cabin+bootlights coming ON when any door/boot lid is opened is very common. I see the same behavior in my Indigo since beginning. Need to check on Ikon though...I guess this simplifies the alert mechanism when connecting a security system.

If you are really concerned on saving battery while cleaning the car, the easiest solution is to shut off the lights thru their individual switches. The cabin light as well as the boot light has seperate kill swiches in the case of Indigo. I guess such provision exists for other cars as well.
Digital Vampire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2006, 17:04   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

I'd say this is wierd. Logically, it should be independent of the cabin lights. But the security system - would like to have it for all doors.

But - It would make good sense if the cabin lights were on even if the cabin doors were shut right, but the boot wasnt closed.
Gigy, what does your cabin light if boot alone is open?
condor is online now   Reply With Quote