Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 15th August 2014, 22:06   #1
Senior - BHPian
 
akshay4587's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chandigarh/Mohali/Ambala Cantt
Posts: 3,756
Thanked: 1,553 Times
Default Mercedes E220 W124 - Engine oil?

Hi Everyone,Just picked up a Single owner W124 E220 3 weeks ago with a Fair number of kms on its odo.
She has been fed with Mobil 1 5W 50 all its life(Serviced always at Authorized Mercedes Benz after sales,oil grade mentioned against each service in the service book).

Now for some reason looks like Mobil has stopped importing 5W50 grade for mobil 1.

So is it safe to switch to Mobil 1 0W40 from 5W50 considering that its an old engine with quite a few number of kms on its odo.
Also do we have any other fully synthetic oil in 5W50 grade?


PS:Mods, please let this be a separate thread,and do not move it to W124 owners thread,as this is a generic query which can be answered by everyone.
akshay4587 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2014, 23:50   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
AbhiJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 1,298
Thanked: 462 Times
Default re: Mercedes E220 W124 - Engine oil?

http://www.snapdeal.com/product/ows-...ne-oil/1147602

Would this work??
AbhiJ is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2014, 23:51   #3
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: India
Posts: 9,364
Thanked: 13,335 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Hi Everyone,Just picked up a Single owner W124 E220 3 weeks ago with a Fair number of kms on its odo.

So is it safe to switch to Mobil 1 0W40 from 5W50 considering that its an old engine with quite a few number of kms on its odo.
First of all Congratulations on getting a W124.

I don't think shifting from 5W50 to 0W40 would hurt the engine. You can go ahead and buy the oil.

Anurag.
a4anurag is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2014, 08:19   #4
Senior - BHPian
 
akshay4587's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chandigarh/Mohali/Ambala Cantt
Posts: 3,756
Thanked: 1,553 Times
Default re: Mercedes E220 W124 - Engine oil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
I guess it should.
OWS is a renown brand as well when it comes to oils

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
First of all Congratulations on getting a W124.

I don't think shifting from 5W50 to 0W40 would hurt the engine. You can go ahead and buy the oil.

Anurag.
Yeah,i feel so,but just want to be sure,before going ahead with the change.
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2014, 13:09   #5
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: India
Posts: 9,364
Thanked: 13,335 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post

I guess it should.
OWS is a renown brand as well when it comes to oils

Yeah,i feel so,but just want to be sure,before going ahead with the change.
OWS, is a known brand so you can try it but IMO you can stick to Mobil 1 0W40 and there is a 5W40 variant too.

Anurag.

Last edited by a4anurag : 16th August 2014 at 13:11.
a4anurag is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2014, 15:49   #6
Senior - BHPian
 
akshay4587's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chandigarh/Mohali/Ambala Cantt
Posts: 3,756
Thanked: 1,553 Times
Default re: Mercedes E220 W124 - Engine oil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
OWS, is a known brand so you can try it but IMO you can stick to Mobil 1 0W40 and there is a 5W40 variant too.

Anurag.
Yeah,either it will be OWS 5W50 or Mobil 1 0W40.
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2014, 20:20   #7
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 320
Thanked: 213 Times
Default re: Mercedes E220 W124 - Engine oil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
So is it safe to switch to Mobil 1 0W40 from 5W50 considering that its an old engine with quite a few number of kms on its odo.
Also do we have any other fully synthetic oil in 5W50 grade?
Dear Akshay4587,

The viscosity of the oils are as per the SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers). the numbers are 0, 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 40 or 50 and are low to high viscosity. The W denotes Winter grade oils.

So it is no problem switching from a 5W50 to a 0W40, the 0W40 being a better oil for colder climates.

IMHO, please stick to reputed brands Mobil, Castrol, etc.
rpunwani is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2014, 14:41   #8
Senior - BHPian
 
akshay4587's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chandigarh/Mohali/Ambala Cantt
Posts: 3,756
Thanked: 1,553 Times
Default re: Mercedes E220 W124 - Engine oil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpunwani View Post
Dear Akshay4587,

The viscosity of the oils are as per the SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers). the numbers are 0, 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 40 or 50 and are low to high viscosity. The W denotes Winter grade oils.

So it is no problem switching from a 5W50 to a 0W40, the 0W40 being a better oil for colder climates.

IMHO, please stick to reputed brands Mobil, Castrol, etc.
Yeah;i agree.
But that's my concern,since AFAIK 5W50 being more viscous provides better protection on older engines,isnt it?
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2014, 15:32   #9
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 320
Thanked: 213 Times
Default re: Mercedes E220 W124 - Engine oil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Yeah;i agree.
But that's my concern,since AFAIK 5W50 being more viscous provides better protection on older engines,isnt it?
Dear Akshay,

IMHO a thicker (more viscous) oil is not a better protector for older engines. In order for an oil to lubricate efficiently, it must be picked up by the engine attached lub oil pump asap and coat the liners & bearings and other moving parts asap. It is a well known fact that 90% of the engine damage occurs at start-up. In fact you will get a better performance of the engine with 0W40, as it will be marginally less viscous and therefore will be easier to pump.

Also when the oils are cold, the 0W40 will not thicken as much as the 5W50.

Hope to have clarified your doubts
rpunwani is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2014, 15:33   #10
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,953
Thanked: 15,646 Times
Default re: Mercedes E220 W124 - Engine oil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Yeah;i agree.
But that's my concern,since AFAIK 5W50 being more viscous provides better protection on older engines,isnt it?
It does not work really that way.
0W40 means 0 at cold and 40 WT viscosity at hot.
So for any engine, 0W will provide better protection at cold start. However, since you are in Chandigarh, 0W and 5W are more than enough.

Now lets come to the 50W vs 40W part.
In performance cars, where for short intervals engine temperature rises to high values (eg 115 degree C) having 50W instead of 40W may provide some benefit.

But this is a normal car and I doubt the water temp will exceed 100 degree C ever(Check with OBD if your car has one).

So 40W will also suffice.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2014, 15:48   #11
Senior - BHPian
 
akshay4587's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chandigarh/Mohali/Ambala Cantt
Posts: 3,756
Thanked: 1,553 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpunwani View Post
Dear Akshay,

IMHO a thicker (more viscous) oil is not a better protector for older engines. In order for an oil to lubricate efficiently, it must be picked up by the engine attached lub oil pump asap and coat the liners & bearings and other moving parts asap. It is a well known fact that 90% of the engine damage occurs at start-up. In fact you will get a better performance of the engine with 0W40, as it will be marginally less viscous and therefore will be easier to pump.

Also when the oils are cold, the 0W40 will not thicken as much as the 5W50.

Hope to have clarified your doubts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
It does not work really that way.
0W40 means 0 at cold and 40 WT viscosity at hot.
So for any engine, 0W will provide better protection at cold start. However, since you are in Chandigarh, 0W and 5W are more than enough.

Now lets come to the 50W vs 40W part.
In performance cars, where for short intervals engine temperature rises to high values (eg 115 degree C) having 50W instead of 40W may provide some benefit.

But this is a normal car and I doubt the water temp will exceed 100 degree C ever(Check with OBD if your car has one).

So 40W will also suffice.
Thanks a lot.
Makes a lot of sense,so the search for 5W50 Mobil 1 ends here.
0W40,here i come

Quote:
Originally Posted by majumon View Post
My friend has been looking for quite some time to buy a 1996 W124 diesel but has not been lucky, most cars that we saw were ill maintained. Any help with any contacts of any reliable car for sale would be of immense help preferably a Karnataka registered.
I am afraid,have no leads for 124's down south.
You may check the 124 support group thread for details.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 19th August 2014 at 16:21.
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2014, 17:32   #12
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: India
Posts: 9,364
Thanked: 13,335 Times
Default re: Mercedes E220 W124 - Engine oil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Thanks a lot.
0W40,here i come
Why don't you try 5W40 oil for the car first and see how it feels now that 0W40 will be of any problem.

Anurag.
a4anurag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2014, 19:22   #13
Senior - BHPian
 
akshay4587's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chandigarh/Mohali/Ambala Cantt
Posts: 3,756
Thanked: 1,553 Times
Default re: Mercedes E220 W124 - Engine oil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Why don't you try 5W40 oil for the car first and see how it feels now that 0W40 will be of any problem.

Anurag.
Anurag,i plan to stick to Mobil 1 which is available in 0W40 only.
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DIY: Mercedes W124 Oil Change & Pela 650 Engine Oil Extractor DeepakMenon DIY - Do it yourself 20 9th April 2017 10:59
W124 - Mercedes E220 or E250D? Which would you buy? GTO The Indian Car Scene 119 6th June 2016 15:24
Mercedes E220 (W124 series) setup Raja In-Car Entertainment 38 21st June 2013 09:47
My "new" Mercedes E220 (w124 series) Raja Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 44 19th February 2010 10:54


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 16:22.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks