Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 23rd February 2011, 16:44   #241
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: What's that sound ??

Just to clear something up, these are classic symptoms of the input shaft bearing, NOT the throwout bearing / clutch release bearing:

Whining when you are standing on the clutch / clutch pressed: Throw out bearing / Clutch Release Bearing

Whining / grinding / rattling noise when foot is off the clutch in neutral or in gear while driving it: Input shaft bearing

Source: http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...t-bearing.html
planet_rocker is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2011, 16:46   #242
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingkolors View Post
Folks,

I need your expert advise on the sound on my I20 which is about a month old and close to 500km on the odo.

There is this light 'luk luk luk' sound coming from the rear right wheel (or somewhere from that area), as though some metal object is hanging/rubbing against something. I checked the wheel and the base but found it fine.

Its not heard when you roll up the windows but can be clearly heard when the windows are down and when I listen carefully. Not sure if the sound is coming at higher speeds.

Any pointers please?
Something might be stuck in the brake drum/disc. Have it thoroughly cleaned and try; hopefully the noise should go.
libranof1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2011, 18:59   #243
BHPian

Thumbs up Re: What's that sound ??

Went to the Hyundai showroom today and took the SA for a short drive with me. Asked him to roll down the windows and keep an ear on the rear right wheel. He agreed that there is small, but continuous noise coming from that place.

Came back to the service center, removed the wheel and rubbed the slot with a sand paper. He said that the area is very smooth and hence the grip is light. Put the wheel back and went back for a drive to confirm. Now the sound is gone!

I am not sure what and why it happened so. Can the gurus throw some light?
flyingkolors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2011, 18:37   #244
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
its probably when the ac compressor comes on. your idle speed will also go up slightly.

Well, I have a Getz Prime and when you turn the AC on, strangely the idle speed doesn't go up at all. It's as if the RPM counter or the ECU isn't bothered about this additional load. I also don't hear or feel the engine adjusting to this load. The needle is always stuck at 780 ( I guess this is the speed as it's quite below the 1 mark)

And as a result, with the AC on, when you move it on first gear, unless you throttle sufficiently, i get a tat-tat-tat noise. Going through these posts, I guess it's a tappet problem ?. I don't know, but my heart's in my mouth everytime I hear this sound. This sound always come on if the RPM goes below the 1 mark (1000).

But shouldn't the ECU adjust RPM accordingly ?. I also hear a tuk sound when the compressor comes to life.
trumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2011, 19:11   #245
BHPian

i have this sound coming from my new i10 Kappa-2 Sportz.It's run close to 1200 Kms now and of late i've been noticing that after stopping/parking the car and switching off the engine i hear continuous ticking noise form underneath the car. I'm given to understand by the HASS (when i complained of this during the first service a week back), that this is probably the exhaust pipe cooling-off.

As such there's no issue with the car and the ride, just wondering if this ticking sound is something to worry about. I have been observing this even on a couple of kms ride (meaning not necessarily after a long ride to heat-up the engine a lot).

Any thoughts on this one ?
Steve_Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2011, 19:27   #246
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ That is indeed the exhaust pipe cooling off. No need to worry.

Enjoy your ride.
dhanushs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2011, 23:13   #247
BHPian

It's the I10's way of saying: "The clock has started ticking for your next ride. Come back soon."
misquitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2011, 17:33   #248
BHPian

Thanks Dhanushs and Misquitas

@Misquitas - I followed your i10 vtvt ownership thread quite closely before putting my money on one. Thanks for that as well.
Steve_Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2011, 21:56   #249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_Austin View Post
Thanks Dhanushs and Misquitas

@Misquitas - I followed your i10 vtvt ownership thread quite closely before putting my money on one. Thanks for that as well.
Thanks for your interest in my ownership of the I10. Believe it or not, I was initially not a supporter of the I10 and had found the car to be overpriced for the features it had offered. However, once I began comparing the I10 Magna to its competitors in the similar price range (Rs 4.4 lakh), I realised that the I10 had significantly more to offer.

Incidentally, another member bandlimitedlife (also from Bangalore) has also recently bought the I10 Kappa2. Hope you have many miles of pleasant and memorable moments in your car.
misquitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2011, 10:11   #250

Squeaking sound from right rear side of Honda City (I-VTEC, S-MT, July 2010)

My Honda City was last serviced at Pride Honda, Hyd. about 20 days ago. For the last 15 days I am hearing a strange, annoying squeaking sound from the right rear side of the car. This sounds like a dry metallic joint. It starts coming whenever I drive on a rough patch or pass on a speed-breaker but vanishes if someone sits on the right side of the rear seat. The SA was unable to appreciate that this sound was indeed there.

I'm planning to take the car back to the ASC and get it re-checked. Would appreciate any pointers that can help me identify the source/root cause of this noise so that I can tell the technician what to look for and correct.

-Thanks,

Ashish.
ashish_me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2011, 18:56   #251
BHPian

Is the noise originating from the seat area or the suspension area?
pratikraveesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2011, 09:32   #252

From the suspension area surely. It is not audible if I drive with the windows rolled up.
ashish_me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2011, 19:11   #253
BHPian

A great thread, exactly what I was looking for. I have a barely 6 months old Hyundai Santro but face a very peculiar problem. I've explained this to the A.S.S. Guys a number of times, but they are unable to resolve this issue. They say, they never faced this issue with my car.

Here's my problem: When I drive my car over uneven surfaces/a sudden small pothole (which should not have any impact of the drive), I hear a good audible "craanch" kind of sound from the rear suspension. I really think it has to do something with the rear suspension, where in the rear suspension while compressing is unable to take the bump and screeches out loud. Hope you guys are getting what I am refering to.

I think my problem is similar to Ashish's problem but I get the issue in the Left Rear Suspension, albeit the same scenario and same issue as faced by him.

Last edited by traveloholic : 11th April 2011 at 19:13.
traveloholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2011, 00:48   #254
BHPian

How come i did not get hold of this thread till date.
My problem is my 26 days old 700kms run Vista from the day 1 gives a tak tak tak sound exactly thrice when the vehicle's AC is turned on. And more over at times even when the AC recirculate mode is switched on also i can smell the smoke from the vehicle before me. What could be the problem, the vehicle will be going for its first service on 25th April.
smrtdvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2011, 02:13   #255
BHPian

THUMP THUMP
CLANG CLANG

(Hollow and booming thump or clang or bang)

WHERE: Rear center of the car.

WHEN: Over broken and bumpy roads.

WHAT: Lose exhaust pipe/silencer.

URGENCY: Medium high. If it is very loud, then high urgency as your silencer might just fall off. (Almost happened on my Corsa once.)

FIX: Tighten whatever is used to hold up the silencer etc in your car. (Usually a U shaped bracket)

Cheers!
Viraat13 is offline   Reply With Quote