Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 12th April 2012, 19:44   #346
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987
Been noticing a weird sound lately.

(something that you hear from a spring).

Any ideas?

Just in case it's relevant, I recently got the clutch assembly and clutch cable replaced.
The engine mounts are usually rubber / hydraulic. This dampens engine vibes, but also allows the engine to rock back and forth to an extent.

When you accelerate the engine rocks back a bit and when u decelerate it rocks forward. This causes the exhaust pipe to move a bit. The pipe is suspended from rubber hangers and this gives a creaky sound.

New clutch - this effect is a bit more.
autocrat is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2012, 19:49   #347
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guptavis

Thanks for advice dhanushs, I was observing today and i found that there was a squeky noise even when going on smooth road. Only audible when i am going slow. I dont know anything about this.
how much would it cost, and should i replace some other part along with it?
If the noise is seen on a smooth road the noise could be coming from the belt. If you get this squeaky noise when you are idling / accelerate gently when stationary, its more likely thats its the belt or water pump. If you notice only when AC is used it could be AC clutch.
autocrat is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2012, 18:25   #348
BHPian

Default Re: What's that sound ??

Guys I bought Fiat Linea Emotion 2012 on 24th feb and everything was going fine until today when I heard coarse sound coming from front while driving.Initially I thought it is coming from R tyre but later I found its not from any tyre but coming somewhat from middle of bonnet through dashboard.Sound was only coming while on un even road and even more on more uneven road/potholes and was absent on smooth road but still it was there for most of my 44km journey both up and down.
The sound is not high pitched squeaky but low pitched/coarse as if something heavy wooden thing is hitting some metal thing again and again.
Also I traveled about 400km in the last week on unknown roads and happend to hit 2-3 very acute but not very tall speed breaker(where un constructed road meets with constructed road and is left uneven) and at about 80km/hr during late hours.
Guys is it due to suspension and is it urgent to visit Fiat service center SOON which is 70km from my residence.
rsjaurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2012, 18:47   #349
Senior - BHPian

If you can check few things yourself then check the under tray of the engine. It could have got loose. There is a plastic white sleeve on the front shock-absorbers,in rarest of occasions it can break and makes noise when rubber bump on the top of it hits it. Just pull up black rubber boot on the absorber to access it. Wheel caps can also make noise if you have them, check them if you have them.
Randhawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2012, 20:37   #350
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randhawa View Post
If you can check few things yourself then check the under tray of the engine. It could have got loose.
Checked it.Nothing loose there.

There is a plastic white sleeve on the front shock-absorbers,in rarest of occasions it can break and makes noise when rubber bump on the top of it hits it. Just pull up black rubber boot on the absorber to access it.
Did exactly that.Again it is perfectly fine.

Wheel caps can also make noise if you have them, check them if you have them.
My car has alloy wheels.Again don't seems to be loose.

My reply is in bold.Can I wait for couple of days or I should get it checked it ASAP??
Old 16th April 2012, 23:51   #351
Senior - BHPian

If it's not too loud and you have no hindrance in driving then then get to the dealership when you can.

It could be the gearbox mounting, do you feel any unusual jerks while shifting gears?
Randhawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2012, 10:51   #352
BHPian

No problem while driving and no jerk whatsoever.I will check it once more later today see if any screw has fallen off from somewhere.
Old 17th April 2012, 15:43   #353
BHPian

well....I checked it thoroughly and found that few screws had come out from plastic sheet on L side which is just in front of front wheels but behind it bumper.But I could still hear same sound and then I took it to nearby mechanic.He did not find any obvious fault and advised me to go official route which I will be doing tomorrow.
6 weeks old car and already a headache!!I just hope its not something serious.
Old 17th April 2012, 15:54   #354
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsjaurr
well....I checked it thoroughly and found that few screws had come out from plastic sheet on L side which is just in front of front wheels but behind it bumper.But I could still hear same sound and then I took it to nearby mechanic.He did not find any obvious fault and advised me to go official route which I will be doing tomorrow.
6 weeks old car and already a headache!!I just hope its not something serious.
There are bound to be teething troubles. Dont lose patience. Make note of all things you come across and get it rectified. Build a good rapport with service guys.

In my 4 week old Linea MJD, I hear some krrr krrr vibration sounds from the doors, some squeaks from suspension, horn tone is bad, some screws missing in interior panels, the plastic part under front windshield is broken. All in a february manufactured car that was delivered to me on 23rd March. I am optimistic that the problems will be resolved by first service.
autocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2012, 18:50   #355

sound : whooshhhhh whooshhhhhhhhhhhhhh
where : coming from the front, probably more towards the right side
when : when i accelerate esp between 1500-2000rpm.
stops : when i decelerate beyond the range and reduces in intensity when i accelerate beyond the range.
car : maruti swift
reason quoted by maruti service eng : turbo failure. needs to be replace. cost 15k.

i went to 3 other dealers who failed to give me any convincing explanation. one guy even tried to convince me there was no sound at all and it was the wind playing tricks!!!

can anyone advice me what to do next. mine is a 40k kms 4 year old maruti swift and am planning on a partial overhaul of the car so that it would run hassle free for the next 4-5 years. for the same reason i have posted a message on "modifications" thread.
surgeon278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2012, 11:05   #356
BHPian

well...yesterday i went to Fiat service center and got the car checked.To my relief only some screws were loose of suspension setup acc. to service rep.
But that also tells Fiat has not learnt a lesson so far.
Old 21st April 2012, 11:31   #357
BHPian

sound: tingggggggggg (something like the high pitch sound old trucks and buses make when they are braking)
where: hard to localise, however its not from the engine bay, its within the car
when: when I turn the ignition on, when I start the engine and sometimes when I brake from less than 20kmph to standstill. Its not a continuous sound, it lasts anything between 5-15 secs. It goes off for a few days and comes back
It started a month back when I got DRL and LED sill plates installed so I assumed its an electrical issue, however I got the DRLs changed and got the electricals checked and there seems to be no issue with that.
Mind you, my car is only 3 months old.

I haven't got it checked because when I tried getting it, the sound was absent (murphy's law).
Any ideas??
superutp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2012, 13:52   #358
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsjaurr
well...yesterday i went to Fiat service center and got the car checked.To my relief only some screws were loose of suspension setup acc. to service rep.
But that also tells Fiat has not learnt a lesson so far.
Blame it on the dealership. They are aware of common problems, but dont bother to do a thorough PDI before delivery.
autocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2012, 20:22   #359
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by superutp View Post
sound: tingggggggggg
Any ideas??
Would appreciate some help from TBHP experts. I got a video recording showcasing the sound.

To repeat what I said earlier 'This sound comes when the ignition is switched on as shown in the video, its also present sometimes when when braking from around 20kmph to standstill. Can't figure out what this sound represents.

The location of the sound is hard to localise, however its definitely from inside the cabin and not the engine bay

I havent had the time to go to my SA, would be great If I got some information regarding it.
superutp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2012, 22:01   #360
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by superutp View Post
To repeat what I said earlier 'This sound comes when the ignition is switched on as shown in the video, its also present sometimes when when braking from around 20kmph to standstill. Can't figure out what this sound represents
Could it be the fuel pump http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...roblems-2.html (Baleno Problems) or a CD player reading the CD http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...eview-307.html (Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review). But while braking! No clue.
thoma is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote