Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2013, 12:05   #511
Senior - BHPian
 
raj_5004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Dubai/Mumbai
Posts: 5,049
Thanked: 1,914 Times
Default Re: What's that sound?

Hello guys, I have posted this issue in the XUV thread, but I am re-posting it here form some technical help :

I have a Oct 2012 XUV5OO -

1) I cannot floor the throttle of my car. If I do so, it is accompanied by a harsh resonating sound and vibrations through the entire body, including the boot! The last time I mentioned this to the A.S.S. (Infinity Autolinks), they replaced the air filter (!!!) but as expected, it did not solve the problem.

2) When I rev the car in lower speeds and higher gear (say from 30-40 kmph in 5th gear), I can hear a strange knocking like sound (something like a bolt or chain is loose somewhere) from the bonnet. Again, this has been unsolved.

What could be the issue?
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2014, 12:40   #512
Senior - BHPian
 
Epic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,087
Thanked: 194 Times
Default VW Polo 1.6 - Knocking Sound from Rear

Hi guys,

I have a 2012 Polo 1.6 which has covered around 26k kms till date. I have lately noticed a knocking sound coming from the rear right side of the car. Now this sound appears only when I am on extremely bad road where the car pitches from side to side. This sound does not occur when the car goes over speed breakers or generally bad roads.

Can anyone advise on what this could be?
Epic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2014, 14:26   #513
BHPian
 
RevvMusic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 124
Thanked: 551 Times
Default Re: VW Polo 1.6 - Knocking Sound from Rear

Can you please explain a bit more about the nature of the sound? One culprit could be a loose rear windshield. Please get the rear windshield checked once.
RevvMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2014, 13:54   #514
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 5
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: What's that sound?

Hi everyone. I have a Polo TDI and completed 15k kms. I am hearing a rattling (tak-tak-tak) noise from my rear left side on the car whenever I go over uneven roads. It sound like some loose component is hitting against something. I have checked my boot area for any loose items and have even tried driving with everything removed from the boot including the spare wheel, still faced the issue. Any one has any idea from where this sound might be generated. I suspect it might be shocker bushes etc .. Looking forward to advice from polo owners.
vikramgoglani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2014, 16:58   #515
Senior - BHPian
 
VeluM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,195
Thanked: 555 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Hello guys, I have posted this issue in the XUV thread, but I am re-posting it here form some technical help : I have a Oct 2012 XUV5OO - 1) I cannot floor the throttle of my car. If I do so, it is accompanied by a harsh resonating sound and vibrations through the entire body, including the boot! The last time I mentioned this to the A.S.S. (Infinity Autolinks), they replaced the air filter (!!!) but as expected, it did not solve the problem.
Could be the silencer/exhaust system. I had a similar problem with my Spark five years ago, though apparently of less intensity, and less reliably repeatable. Five visits to the A.S.S and a couple of emails later, they kept the car for three days and replaced the end can and piping within warranty after identifying the root cause. Never faced the issue again. Worth a shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
2) When I rev the car in lower speeds and higher gear (say from 30-40 kmph in 5th gear), I can hear a strange knocking like sound (something like a bolt or chain is loose somewhere) from the bonnet. Again, this has been unsolved. What could be the issue?
Sounds like the diesel equivalent of knocking. Always change down before strictly necessary to avoid trying to force the engine to pull from too low RPMs in any gear (except first, of course, in which we need to slip the clutch - but again as little as possible).

HELP:- My Rapid Ele petrol makes rubber squishing kind of sounds from the door rubber-seals when I go over extremely uneven surfaces, such as not perpendicular to a speed breaker. I know there will be some amount of chassis flex, but is this sound due to improper door setting, or is there some potentially serious flaw? The car is just three months and nearly 6k kms old. Any ideas?

Last edited by VeluM : 3rd January 2014 at 17:10.
VeluM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2014, 12:28   #516
BHPian
 
rohan_iitr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 986
Thanked: 395 Times
Default Beeping sound coming from under the dashboard: SOLVED

Mods, I tried searching for a thread on this topic, but couldn't find one. Hence starting a new thread. Please merge if a thread already exists.

My colleague's Hyundai i10 kappa sportz (2009 model) is giving this problem.

When the car is running, a beeping sound comes from somewhere under the dashboard. It gives exactly 17 continuous beeps, repeated every 2 minutes or so.

This beeping is not coming from the remote locking system. The autocop locking system has a much louder beep compared to what is being heard inside the cabin.

Also worth mentioning is that the autocop locking system buzzer (during locking/unlocking/reversing) is not operational, thanks to the rat menace.

The car is otherwise performing normally.

Could somebody help on why these 17 beeps are coming ? Is this some kind of error code ? Is it safe to drive this car or should it be sent to the service centre immediately ?

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2014, 12:45   #517
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 564
Thanked: 41 Times
Default Re: What's that sound?

The esteem has been emitting a kat kat kat sound while turning the steering with the car stationary - it seems that the left side strut bearing is kaput.

Should the strut bearing be replaced on both sides in one go (as advised by the Service advisers at Suraksha) or is changing one side ok. Parts are a bit expensive due to an SGP bush being required. It seems illogical to change both sides when only one side is faulty.
CrackedHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2014, 13:11   #518
Senior - BHPian
 
mayankk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 3,899
Thanked: 2,922 Times
Default Re: What's that sound?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackedHead View Post
. It seems illogical to change both sides when only one side is faulty.
Its actually the other way around, but if its exorbitant, then you can get by with one side.
mayankk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2014, 13:28   #519
Senior - BHPian
 
zenren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: CLT/TVM/HYD
Posts: 2,578
Thanked: 1,720 Times
Default Re: What's that sound?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackedHead View Post
The esteem has been emitting a kat kat kat sound while turning the steering with the car stationary - it seems that the left side strut bearing is kaput.

Should the strut bearing be replaced on both sides in one go (as advised by the Service advisers at Suraksha) or is changing one side ok. Parts are a bit expensive due to an SGP bush being required. It seems illogical to change both sides when only one side is faulty.
Its okay to change just one side but be prepared to spend the same amount for the other side within the next 10k km or so since even the other one would be ~80% worn out.

IIRC, cost was ~4k per side for Zen but it was MGP. How much are they quoting for the SGP part? Was it SGP all along or did they start making MGP at some point down the line?
zenren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2014, 13:39   #520
BHPian
 
msaudf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Cochin
Posts: 256
Thanked: 128 Times
Default Re: What's that sound?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackedHead View Post
The esteem has been emitting a kat kat kat sound while turning the steering with the car stationary - it seems that the left side strut bearing is kaput.

Should the strut bearing be replaced on both sides in one go (as advised by the Service advisers at Suraksha) or is changing one side ok. Parts are a bit expensive due to an SGP bush being required. It seems illogical to change both sides when only one side is faulty.
Your service adviser is technically correct by suggesting a change on both sides. But as you mentioned, throwing away a perfectly good part which is again an expensive one is illogical.
Another theory to support your opinion to just change one side is our road condition. In India owing to the road conditions the LHS suspension is prone to some extra wear and tear than the RHS because of our traffic conditions, rough edges, potholes etc.
As this part is not a critical part that can lead to breakdowns if at all it fails so, its not something serious to worry about, but then if it were stuff like ball joints or bushes it would be advisable to change both sides. Now i think you should stick to the simple rule "if it isn't broke don't fix it".
msaudf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2014, 14:17   #521
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 564
Thanked: 41 Times
Default Re: What's that sound?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Its okay to change just one side but be prepared to spend the same amount for the other side within the next 10k km or so since even the other one would be ~80% worn out.
I don't think that the strut bearing is a part that fails too often. Most mechanics replace struts and reuse all the rubber bushes and the strut bearings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msaudf View Post
Throwing away a perfectly good part which is again an expensive one is illogical.
Another theory to support your opinion to just change one side is our road condition. In India owing to the road conditions the LHS suspension is prone to some extra wear and tear than the RHS because of our traffic conditions, rough edges, potholes etc.
As this part is not a critical part that can lead to breakdowns if at all it fails so, its not something serious to worry about, but then if it were stuff like ball joints or bushes it would be advisable to change both sides. Now i think you should stick to the simple rule "if it isn't broke don't fix it".
Agreed, its not a critical part and its not like its any easier to change both sides together.

Also, from what I read on most forums - the standard practice is to re-use the old parts when doing a strut change. This shows that these parts last longer than the struts themselves.
CrackedHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2014, 16:21   #522
Senior - BHPian
 
zenren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: CLT/TVM/HYD
Posts: 2,578
Thanked: 1,720 Times
Default Re: What's that sound?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackedHead View Post
I don't think that the strut bearing is a part that fails too often. Most mechanics replace struts and reuse all the rubber bushes and the strut bearings.
Based on the experience with my Zen, I would put the trouble-free life around 50000 kms, with the other side too starting to make the sound around 10000km later.

BTW, the reason for the sound is that the bearing has worn off and has become loose in the socket. It'll still work as long as it is big enough to remain within the socket - this was the 'layman terms' explanation from my mechanic. It'll easily last another 10k if you can put up with the noise.

What is your odo reading?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackedHead View Post
Also, from what I read on most forums - the standard practice is to re-use the old parts when doing a strut change. This shows that these parts last longer than the struts themselves.
MASS is unlikely to do that due to their policies from Maruti. You'll have to go to a FNG to do that.
zenren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2014, 19:11   #523
BHPian
 
rohan_iitr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 986
Thanked: 395 Times
Default re: Beeping sound coming from under the dashboard: SOLVED

Sorry guys, it was a terrible misunderstanding.

The beeping sound was actually coming from the OBU mounted on the front windsheild.

The OBU (On board unit) is used for automatic toll collection on the Bangalore Elevated Tollway. This OBU gives a beeping sound when its battery becomes weak. The beeping sound went away after the OBU battery was replaced.

My colleague thought that the sound was coming from the car itself.

Rohan

Mods: Please delete the thread.
rohan_iitr is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2014, 21:21   #524
BHPian
 
RIC.BURNS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 192
Thanked: 101 Times
Default re: Beeping sound coming from under the dashboard: SOLVED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Sorry guys, it was a terrible misunderstanding.

The beeping sound was actually coming from the OBU mounted on the front windsheild.

The OBU (On board unit) is used for automatic toll collection on the Bangalore Elevated Tollway. This OBU gives a beeping sound when its battery becomes weak. The beeping sound went away after the OBU battery was replaced.

My colleague thought that the sound was coming from the car itself.

Rohan

Mods: Please delete the thread.
Ok so its not a time bomb with a big red button on top to deactivate

Its like a fire Alarm, beeping mad when the battery is dying. i guess this thread would be useful to someone again.
RIC.BURNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2014, 13:43   #525
BHPian
 
sudipt123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 166
Thanked: 3 Times
Default Re: What's that sound?

Hi i have an Spark with 40K on the ODO. Since the last 5K km i'm getting a knocking sound from front suspension. This sound usually comes while taking turns. eg Turning into an incline slope . So having complained to the Service center about this- they changed the front suspension struts & lower arms however the sound persists. On revisit - they diagnosed it as steering rack noise and the SA said that steering ball joints have to be replaced and would involve a overhaul of the steering rack assy. Estimate quoted was around 14k.
Steering rack seems to be bit loose but no ps fuild leakge yet
Can anyone point me to a good mechanic in Mumbai preferably in mulund west area to get this job done? or should i get this job done via the service center? it certainly sounds pricey as i have already spent around 16K for suspension overhaul.
sudipt123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Audi's Sound Concept cabin defines auditory excess: 62 speaker surround-sound ! dar3dev|l In-Car Entertainment 10 22nd June 2010 15:23
Sound from Engine Bay of Swift VDI (DDIS) - what would be the cause of this sound? DieselFan Technical Stuff 4 25th January 2008 18:31
Cant afford a Turbo? Buy JUST the sound GTO Modifications & Accessories 15 7th January 2006 17:03
My Vtec's Sound system! GTO In-Car Entertainment 55 12th February 2005 22:36
wanna know how the ENZO, F50, F40, 280 sound _Crazi4Speed_ The International Automotive Scene 0 6th July 2004 12:56


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 19:56.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks