Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2015, 19:47   #706
Distinguished - BHPian
 
sudev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 3,351
Thanked: 1,762 Times
Default

Stuck brake in rear drums? If you have been wading through puddles and slush this could happen.
Try engaging and then disengaging handbrake. Then move the car in reverse great a bit. Any change?

Or could be rusted hand brake cable.

Last edited by sudev : 22nd August 2015 at 20:06.
sudev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2015, 19:58   #707
BHPian
 
parth.jain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 62
Thanked: 97 Times
Default Re: What's that sound?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Stuck brake in rear drums? If you have been wading through puddles and slush this could happen.
Try engaging and then disengaging handbrake. Then move the car in reverse great a bit. Any change?


Actually, I have to travel around 500 meters everyday in broken roads with a lot of craters filled with water.
I tried disengaging and engaging the handbrake, moving in reverse and everything. Maybe one of the rear brake pads have broken?

I know I will sort out this problem, but what I am more worried about is the engine power loss problem. Even once the car also stalled in traffic!
parth.jain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2015, 22:07   #708
BHPian
 
parth.jain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 62
Thanked: 97 Times
Exclamation Re: What's that sound?

@mods, sorry for back to back posts but the edit option has vanished now. Please merge this one with the previous post.

I just went out to check what's wrong with the car. I started the car and the rpm was fluctuating like it was missing, so I opened the hood to see if there is any problem I can identify. But as soon as I opened the hood, there was a sound like 'bhuk' and the engine stalled

The sound was somewhere from near the throttle body or where the injectors are. I couldn't see it properly as the hood was just halfway opened when this happened.
Will be going to the mechanic tomorrow morning. I suspect something is wrong with the air filter or throttle body. What do you guys think?
parth.jain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2015, 01:21   #709
BHPian
 
prkiran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 92
Thanked: 31 Times
Default Re: What's that sound?

Car: Fiat Punto Evo MJD; 2 weeks old, 400 kms on the ODO
Sound: A hissing noise from the underbody towards the exhaust whenever the car is idling. This is noticeable only if I stand by the side or right behind the car and not at all noticeable from the inside. This is the first diesel car I am driving so not sure if this is normal. Experts?
prkiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2015, 11:34   #710
BHPian
 
sidzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 162
Thanked: 86 Times
Default Re: What's that sound?

I head a thud-thud sound when my grand i10 passes over small potholes at speeds of 30-40 or above. It is very smooth at lower speeds. The car has done only 1200Kms. What could be the reason?
sidzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2015, 14:52   #711
Distinguished - BHPian
 
saket77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ranchi
Posts: 2,947
Thanked: 2,828 Times
Default Re: What's that sound?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidzz View Post
I head a thud-thud sound when my grand i10 passes over small potholes at speeds of 30-40 or above. It is very smooth at lower speeds. The car has done only 1200Kms. What could be the reason?
Check cold tire air pressure. Since your car is new (1200 kms on odo), it should be a good candidate for check as dealerships have notorious reputation of over-inflating car tires kept in their stockyard.

Regards,
Saket.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2015, 15:05   #712
knp
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 218
Thanked: 18 Times
Default Re: What's that sound?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidzz View Post
I head a thud-thud sound when my grand i10 passes over small potholes at speeds of 30-40 or above. It is very smooth at lower speeds. The car has done only 1200Kms. What could be the reason?
I had the similar issue in my 2009 i10 for last 3 months. Authorized service center guys could not figured out the problem and they were suggesting me to change the suspension and all, which were costing more than 20k. Somehow, I was not convinced with their diagnosis. Finally, went to my local trusted mechanic and after test driving for 1 km, he pulled the vehicle onto ramp and identified the issues with the Lower arm on the right side. The bushes/joints of the lower arm are damaged and finally, we had changed at the both the sides, which costed 2300/-. Now, I don't hear that sound. So, please have it checked the lower arm in your case also.
knp is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2015, 15:19   #713
BHPian
 
sidzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 162
Thanked: 86 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by knp View Post
I had the similar issue in my 2009 i10 for last 3 months. Authorized service center guys could not figured out the problem and they were suggesting me to change the suspension and all, which were costing more than 20k. Somehow, I was not convinced with their diagnosis. Finally, went to my local trusted mechanic and after test driving for 1 km, he pulled the vehicle onto ramp and identified the issues with the Lower arm on the right side. The bushes/joints of the lower arm are damaged and finally, we had changed at the both the sides, which costed 2300/-. Now, I don't hear that sound. So, please have it checked the lower arm in your case also.
Can this happen in a new car?

If I keep driving like this, since the SA said its normal, will it cause more damage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Check cold tire air pressure. Since your car is new (1200 kms on odo), it should be a good candidate for check as dealerships have notorious reputation of over-inflating car tires kept in their stockyard.

Regards,
Saket.
I keep the tire pressure as 33. That's the manufacturer recommend pressure.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 9th September 2015 at 15:28. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use the multi-quote feature (QUOTE +) to quote and respond to multiple posts.
sidzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2015, 15:22   #714
BHPian
 
autocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 629
Thanked: 447 Times
Default Re: What's that sound?

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Check cold tire air pressure. Since your car is new (1200 kms on odo), it should be a good candidate for check as dealerships have notorious reputation of over-inflating car tires kept in their stockyard.

Regards,
Saket.
Quote:
Originally Posted by knp View Post
I had the similar issue in my 2009 i10 for last 3 months. Authorized service center guys could not figured out the problem and they were suggesting me to change the suspension and all, which were costing more than 20k. Somehow, I was not convinced with their diagnosis. Finally, went to my local trusted mechanic and after test driving for 1 km, he pulled the vehicle onto ramp and identified the issues with the Lower arm on the right side. The bushes/joints of the lower arm are damaged and finally, we had changed at the both the sides, which costed 2300/-. Now, I don't hear that sound. So, please have it checked the lower arm in your case also.
1200 km is way too early for lower arm bush wear and tear, unless its taken a very rough hit. Cant rule out as the cars are driven by showroom guys before delivery.

Whatever it is, pursue till you get the solution and make sure you get it done under warranty.
autocrat is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2015, 21:44   #715
BHPian
 
sidzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 162
Thanked: 86 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrat View Post
1200 km is way too early for lower arm bush wear and tear, unless its taken a very rough hit. Cant rule out as the cars are driven by showroom guys before delivery.

Whatever it is, pursue till you get the solution and make sure you get it done under warranty.
Update: Got the car thoroughly checked. The SA was really confused and gave up. Requested me to come the next day as I didn't want to leave the car in the service station.

Next day: While cleaning the car I don't know why I lifted the boot floor. And voila, I spotted the loosely fitted spare tire. Tightened it without a thought and took the car for a spin. There was no sound. I had a wide grin on my face. Still have it, while writing this post. Sometimes, stupid things mean a lot of trouble.
sidzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2015, 13:37   #716
Distinguished - BHPian
 
sudev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 3,351
Thanked: 1,762 Times
Default

This is great. You keep scratching your head to figure out and...... LOL
sudev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2015, 05:26   #717
Senior - BHPian
 
sumeethaldankar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 2,356
Thanked: 740 Times
Default Re: What's that sound?

Car: Civic
Sound : Typical whup whup sound while driving post 40 to 50 kmph. Sound is heard better if accelerator is let off.

Is this related to tire, wheel bearings or drive shaft ?

I noticed this sound coming after a wheel alignment and balancing job.

Thanks
sumeethaldankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2015, 09:16   #718
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 131
Thanked: 98 Times
Default Weird Noise in First Gear : i20

My i20 (2011 model) which has been driven ~15,000 km is making this weird "tak tak" noise when in first gear. It started last week. I am not sure if this is the reason, I got the tire pressure checked at a pump, and it started. I went to another pump after this (few minutes later) and verified that the pressure is fine. What could be the reason for this. Noise is coming, somewhere from the back of the car. I am not able to identify the source. There is nothing in between the tire guards and tires. They have a free way to rotate. As soon as I upshift, the sound diminishes to nothing. Anything I should inspect to get a root cause..?
asingh1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2015, 11:39   #719
Senior - BHPian
 
humyum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Leicester/Mumbai
Posts: 2,253
Thanked: 1,783 Times
Default Re: Weird Noise in First Gear : i20

Quote:
Originally Posted by asingh1977 View Post
My i20 (2011 model) which has been driven ~15,000 km is making this weird "tak tak" noise when in first gear. It started last week. I am not sure if this is the reason, I got the tire pressure checked at a pump, and it started. I went to another pump after this (few minutes later) and verified that the pressure is fine. What could be the reason for this. Noise is coming, somewhere from the back of the car. I am not able to identify the source. There is nothing in between the tire guards and tires. They have a free way to rotate. As soon as I upshift, the sound diminishes to nothing. Anything I should inspect to get a root cause..?
Checked if you have locked the rear seats properly, secondly if you have the seat belts behind, see if their buckle is not touching anything.

Lastly check the lock of the rear hatch, also hit the rear glass lightly from inside and see if its shaking.
humyum is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2015, 11:48   #720
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Pune
Posts: 471
Thanked: 370 Times
Default Re: Weird Noise in First Gear : i20

Quote:
Originally Posted by asingh1977 View Post
My i20 (2011 model) which has been driven ~15,000 km is making this weird "tak tak" noise when in first gear.
Hi asingh1977,
Hope that this is not anything significant.

Do you hear the "tak tak" only once or it continues as long as you are in the first gear?

You can take a trial in 1st gear (do not shift to 2nd) and make one person sit in the rear, to locate the source.

I have noticed that the kids are very sharp to observe and locate the sources of such sounds. They are also small and flexible enough to turn front - back or lean to observe.

Do you get this sound when you shift from 2nd to 1st? Or when you take reverse?
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Audi's Sound Concept cabin defines auditory excess: 62 speaker surround-sound ! dar3dev|l In-Car Entertainment 10 22nd June 2010 15:23
Sound from Engine Bay of Swift VDI (DDIS) - what would be the cause of this sound? DieselFan Technical Stuff 4 25th January 2008 18:31
Cant afford a Turbo? Buy JUST the sound GTO Modifications & Accessories 15 7th January 2006 17:03
My Vtec's Sound system! GTO In-Car Entertainment 55 12th February 2005 22:36
wanna know how the ENZO, F50, F40, 280 sound _Crazi4Speed_ The International Automotive Scene 0 6th July 2004 12:56


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 01:42.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks