Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 28th October 2016, 23:59   #811

Default Re: What's that sound?

Hi Auto Gurus,

I have a MS Ritz ZDI 2014 which has done 23k on the odo. It is a no fuss car and I have not had any major issues, apart from few scratches on the bonnet, thanks to the neighbour's cat !

I have a bad stretch of, what is left of a road, and today after I went "sailing " over it, I could hear a faint humming sound from the left front of the car. It happens only at a very specific rpm level and is not depended on the gear. I noticed that the sound comes when the tacho hits 1100 rpm and then it goes away. It does not happen below the 1100 mark as well. The speed during this time hovers around the 30-40 kms range.

I parked the car and put it on neutral and left it idle with rpm below 1000 and there was no sound. Next, press the accelerator and increase the rpm to 1100 rpm and hold it there. The humming sound comes back. I am yet to check if there is anything loose under the hood as it is late in the evening. For an initial analysis that I could take sitting in the driver's seat, I think it is coming from the left wheel bay side. I have not been able to observe this from outside as there is no one around and someone has to press the accelerator to create this humming sound. There are many components in the wheel area and I am worried if something has gone kaput.

My initial thoughts were the bearings or the wheel hub itself but then will a humming sound come up from these parts when the car is in neutral ? If that is not the case, then I think it might open a can of worms. The 20k servicing was done three months back. I need expert advice on what could be a potential cause for this. Once I have that I could approach MASS and get a service called out.

Last edited by ampere : 29th October 2016 at 00:57.
anzrulz555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2016, 06:20   #812
Distinguished - BHPian

Humming from loose component inside the engine bay...too many things from loose coolant bottle to radiator shroud to more serious things. Since it is coming with car at standstill it does rule out transmission and wheels. Curious
sudev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2016, 12:45   #813
BHPian

Car: Ford Classic 1.6 Titanium (My 2015 Ford Classic 1.6 Titanium)
Issue: Lately, she has been emitting a whizz-whizz noise for sometime during cold starts. It fades and disappears as the engine warms up and reaches a certain temperature. Depressing the clutch mutes the noise.

I have tried inspecting the engine bay to find anything unusual or suspicious, but my efforts were in vain. Please help. Thanks in advance!
petrolhead_neel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2016, 13:47   #814
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_neel View Post
Issue: Lately, she has been emitting a whizz-whizz noise for sometime during cold starts. It fades and disappears as the engine warms up and reaches a certain temperature. Depressing the clutch mutes the noise.

I have tried inspecting the engine bay to find anything unusual or suspicious, but my efforts were in vain. Please help. Thanks in advance!
I think this is a sign of a weakening starter motor. No need to worry as long as it's cranking properly.
NiXTriX2004 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2016, 15:24   #815

Today morning I checked the engine bay however did not find anything loose. Took her for a ride around 10 kms but could not make that same humming sound. Nothing in neutral as well. Looks like the "issue" got fixed by itself. I will be keeping an eye for this for some days.
anzrulz555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2016, 15:46   #816
BHPian

Quote:

Clutch release bearing noise possibly. . How much has she clocked.? Check the aux drive belts too, if it does not have enough slack it might make a noise during cold starts.

Last edited by --gKrish-- : 29th October 2016 at 15:50.
--gKrish-- is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2016, 00:45   #817
BHPian

Exclamation Re: What's that sound?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiXTriX2004 View Post
I think this is a sign of a weakening starter motor. No need to worry as long as it's cranking properly.
Thanks!

I am not too sure about that as the noise actually starts when the engine has already fired up properly. I guess I wasn't too clear earlier. Does this have anything to do with the starter motor? Also, the car is too young for that *not even two years old!).
Quote:
Originally Posted by --gKrish-- View Post
Clutch release bearing noise possibly. . How much has she clocked.? Check the aux drive belts too, if it does not have enough slack it might make a noise during cold starts.
Thanks!

Do I have something to worry? Is there a way I can check for them myself? There is quite some time left before she goes in for her next service. [She has clocked just over 16.2k kms].

Neel

Last edited by petrolhead_neel : 30th October 2016 at 00:46. Reason: Typo
petrolhead_neel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2016, 19:53   #818
BHPian

Quote:
Is there a way I can check for them myself

Neel
Hi Neel,
You can check the drive belts using a flat steel rule or even a long screw driver or with just bare hands(not recommended though). Make sure the you have the ignition off and key removed and the engine is cool.
Place the rule over the top surface of the belt and apply pressure(modest) and see how much you can push it. The permissible values will be mentioned in the user's manual . Slack should be around 1cm. Also check for any sort of cracks or misalignment.
If it is the clutch release bearing noise then it is not quite possible to check it at home.
Regards,
Gokul

PS: Sorry for the late reply brother, exams and assignments are eating up all my time.

Last edited by --gKrish-- : 1st November 2016 at 20:02. Reason: Adding info
--gKrish-- is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote