Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 24th August 2014, 09:25   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineetkr View Post
We are surprised to see them explaining us various procedures to be followed rather working on the ways to correct the wrong which has happened due to a substandard product and did not even find it worth offering the moral support to the client who was just away from the death. I am yet to receive a formal report on the incident from their side. In the interim ICICI Lombard on their own conducted a forensic evaluation to the cause of the incident and their report clearly elaborates the manufacturing fault which has resulted in this life impacting & life changing incident
Can you elaborate what is the manufacturing fault found by ICICI forensic evaluation? This might help lot of Laura/Octavia owners.
B747 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2014, 10:49   #32
BHPian

So sorry to hear about your experience. It is really shocking to say the least. The first thing I would do is to put a case on skoda India for selling you a moving coffin. Don't keep sending emails.

You already have confirmation that the fire was due to a fault in the car. And knowing how skoda behave about warranty, I am sure all your services are done by their authorised center only. This being the case I am 100% sure you have a valid claim to take this to court.
mav2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2014, 11:20   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post
So sorry to hear about your experience. It is really shocking to say the least. The first thing I would do is to put a case on skoda India for selling you a moving coffin. Don't keep sending emails.

You already have confirmation that the fire was due to a fault in the car. And knowing how skoda behave about warranty, I am sure all your services are done by their authorised center only. This being the case I am 100% sure you have a valid claim to take this to court.
He is yet to give clarity on what is the manufacturing defect, until that is published we cant just blame Skoda. Someone in forum pointed out that in US 6 in 10000 cars catch fire and is spread across all brands.
Disclaimer: I own a Skoda but that doesn't mean my logical brain is shut and I support Skoda blindly at the same time when a car catches fire cannot blame the manufacturer until and unless proved manufacturing defects.
B747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2014, 12:30   #34
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Skoda Laura catches fire, Disables owner. EDIT: Manufacturer response added -

Quote:
Originally Posted by B747 View Post
He is yet to give clarity on what is the manufacturing defect, until that is published we cant just blame Skoda. Someone in forum pointed out that in US 6 in 10000 cars catch fire and is spread across all brands.
Disclaimer: I own a Skoda but that doesn't mean my logical brain is shut and I support Skoda blindly at the same time when a car catches fire cannot blame the manufacturer until and unless proved manufacturing defects.
Second you. I think we are in the danger of developing a serious bias againt Skoda.

All cars seem to catch fires. Theres a huge thread on this very forum. On the last page itself there are fire cases for the super reliable toyota Etios and Corolla and Honda Civic. The Etios ocupant and Honda Civic occupant was charred to death inside their cars. Theres mention of manufacting defect in Etios as well. Is TBHP following that case?

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-india-29.html (Accidents : Vehicles catching Fire in India)

While its certainly disheartening to learn about Dr V's accident here, let there be semblance of reason as well before instigating Skoda in such terms. Fires can have so many reasons. If it can be established it was really a manufacturing fault that led to fire, then certainly we can berate Skoda.

There will be manufacturing faults in lots of cars (we see so many recalls dont we) but a defect serious enough to cause a fire could be difficult to prove. Detection/deduction will be a painfully slow process. While I want us to follow this case till the end, can we also start following up on other fire cases involving Hondas, Toyotas, Fords, Marutis, Hyundais, VWs, Mercedes etc as in the Fires in India thread.
joslicx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2014, 12:33   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Default re: Skoda Laura catches fire, Disables owner. EDIT: Manufacturer response added -

Quote:
The investigation by the insurer was against the manufacturer. Who needs to 'prove' that the manufacturer is indeed at fault here? Is it the owner who is the most affected by this episode? Or is it upto the manufacturer to defend itself?

And what sort of an accessory fitted by an owner can cause such an explosion?
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2014, 12:49   #36
Senior - BHPian

Where are the pics ? Without the pics, it is very difficult to ascertain if the case is genuine or not.
F150 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2014, 13:13   #37
BHPian

Quote:
It was further recorded by the Forensic lab in his report that due to overheating in the rubber hosing connected to the EGR valves due to a mechanical fault an electrical short circuit occurred which resulted in further overheating and which caused further smoldering of rubber.
What is the mechanical fault in the EGR is not mentioned. Also it is mentioned that it happened just after moving 500mts after starting the car, how much it will overheat in 2-3 mins of driving that too at morning 5.30am.
Old 24th August 2014, 13:23   #38
Senior - BHPian

Red face re: Skoda Laura catches fire, Disables owner. EDIT: Manufacturer response added -

I am shocked beyond words to read another horror story of Skoda after Harish's epic battle with the notorious car maker. Atleast Skoda should have had courtsey to understand Mr Vineet's plight now that his physical and medical conditions is seriously affected by the tragic incident.

Surely Mr Vineet when got down to inspect the foul smell must have switched the engine off, then what caused the bang big enough to throw the OP afar apart from inflicting serious injuries. The car burning issues which we have read on the forum have shown that the car catches fire mostly in the engine compartment but have never been reported to have caused an explosion. With mechanical and electrical limitations already established in the Skoda products how can they continue marketing the same without any remorse. And to say Insurance will cover the damages, which Insurance will cover the physical disability caused and the mental trauma experienced by OP.

Mr Vineet, I sincerely pray that you get well soon and muster tons of courage to take on Skoda. I for one as a BHPian will completely support you.
ghodlur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2014, 13:35   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
With mechanical and electrical limitations already established in the Skoda products how can they continue marketing the same without any remorse.
Please pardon my ignorance but can you elaborate what is the "mechanical and electrical limitations" in Skoda products, and for that matter in VW as they very much identical.

Last edited by B747 : 24th August 2014 at 13:40.
Old 24th August 2014, 14:21   #40

Default Re: Team-BHP stands for the TRUTH. But Skoda wants to “instigate” Team-BHP and its us

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post
Really sad to read your ordeal and although how unfortunate it may seem I do not think it's practical to claim for any compensation from Skoda in this case. I feel Your insurance company ICICI must compensate you completely.
You are all missing the main concern. My question here is not of monetary compensation as primary factor, the main concern is the fact the importance shown to the issue by Skoda. Not only have they been evasive all through but also when encountered with forensic report have not been forthcoming.

Also a common question across has been; if there were any after fitments? Though i have answered this before also but to clarify again - NO. this was the L&K model & all who are aware of the models being offered will know that the L&K is the fully loaded model with all the bells & whistles..

I also read 747 repeatedly suggesting skoda can't be blamed, to which i say surely they are and should be because if you are right then after score of communication with you (Co) and your MD you don't act evasive. Harish case has been a testament & i am determined now to show them what it means when you play with someones life. I have already directed my lawyers to initiate criminal as well as civil action against the MD of the org (Skoda), Skoda India as well as Jai auto owner. I will next also take this to press & will also be sharing the details extensively so that the whole country knows what Skoda is upto.

I asked before also & will ask Moderator now also; let me know how to upload photos & i shall do so..
vineetkr is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2014, 14:30   #41
BHPian

Dear Vineet, Its appalling to see the kind of response or rather lack of it from Skoda in your case. If you see how Harish presented his case here, it was detailed to an extent never seen before in a public forum. There was no hint of doubt about his presentation, as everything was made public.
Its my personal opinion that if you can provide photographic or documented evidence for your case, it will only get stronger, especially since you had enough time with the car after the accident. If you don't mind, could you also give more details on the permanent disability afflicted on you? I'm sorry to ask this, but that part of your post lacks detail given the seriousness of the issue.
Horizon81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2014, 14:53   #42
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Team-BHP stands for the TRUTH. But Skoda wants to “instigate” Team-BHP and its us

Quote:
let me know how to upload photos & i shall do so..
Please check out this link (Uploading photographs directly to Team-BHP)
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2014, 19:41   #43
BHPian

Quote:
I also read 747 repeatedly suggesting skoda can't be blamed, to which i say surely they are and should be because if you are right then after score of communication with you (Co) and your MD you don't act evasive. Harish case has been a testament & i am determined now to show them what it means when you play with someones life. I have already directed my lawyers to initiate criminal as well as civil action against the MD of the org (Skoda), Skoda India as well as Jai auto owner. I will next also take this to press & will also be sharing the details extensively so that the whole country knows what Skoda is upto.

I asked before also & will ask Moderator now also; let me know how to upload photos & i shall do so..
Vineentkr please dont miss quote me. I said we cant blame Skoda until it is proved as manufacturing defect. Car can catch fire due to many reasons, simple example is rats chewing wires can cause fire. You mentioned EGR valve manufacturing defect, my request is to give clarity what is that defect.
B747 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2014, 11:00   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Vineentkr please dont miss quote me. I said we cant blame Skoda until it is proved as manufacturing defect. Car can catch fire due to many reasons, simple example is rats chewing wires can cause fire. You mentioned EGR valve manufacturing defect, my request is to give clarity what is that defect.
Sorry 747, but you are also defending SKODA unnecessarily without any iota of evidence in their favour. Though you are asking for more details to make an opinion which is alright there is no need to take the side of Skoda by saying, every car catches fire, so what if skoda catches? Rat can cut wire and car will catch fire etc., etc. Here are my answers.

Car catching fire (Explotion in this case) is not something happening everyday as you say. It is still a rarest of rare incident considering the no. of cars plying on the road. Just because someone else did not pursue (May be he pursued but not informed us) it does not justify Vineetkr not to pursue. There are so many crimes happening around. Do you mean to say that if something happen to us/our family we should not take it up to get justice?

Rat cutting wire can not end up with Car catching fire. For that matter, even if you light a candle and take it all around the engine the car will not catch fire. Why should a car catch fire for any such silly things? Cars are nicely insulated and expensive cars like skoda are even more strongly, by design. It can be only an accident due to some defect or something else and all such accidents need thorough investigation to fix the responsibility. Isn't it?
srameshdelhi is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2014, 12:32   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srameshdelhi View Post
Sorry 747, but you are also defending SKODA unnecessarily without any iota of evidence in their favour. Though you are asking for more details to make an opinion which is alright there is no need to take the side of Skoda by saying, every car catches fire, so what if skoda catches? Rat can cut wire and car will catch fire etc., etc. Here are my answers.

Car catching fire (Explotion in this case) is not something happening everyday as you say. It is still a rarest of rare incident considering the no. of cars plying on the road. Just because someone else did not pursue (May be he pursued but not informed us) it does not justify Vineetkr not to pursue. There are so many crimes happening around. Do you mean to say that if something happen to us/our family we should not take it up to get justice?

Rat cutting wire can not end up with Car catching fire. For that matter, even if you light a candle and take it all around the engine the car will not catch fire. Why should a car catch fire for any such silly things? Cars are nicely insulated and expensive cars like skoda are even more strongly, by design. It can be only an accident due to some defect or something else and all such accidents need thorough investigation to fix the responsibility. Isn't it?
Please note that I am not defending Skoda. Many in the forum the tone is like skoda made the car so they are liable for this. Please understand that such an argument will not stand in the court, we can argue on this but it is the bitter truth.

It was mentioned as overheating of EGR valve and some manufacturing defect, other side it is mentioned as car has moved only 500mts from ealry morning (5.30am) start, i am wondering how much it can overheat in 2-3 mins of driving that too on a morning.

Rats cutting wires can definitely cause fire and in US it is estimated that 25k such house fires are reported.
Broken wires and running around the car with a lit candle, they are completely different, if there is a fuel leak will you walk aroud with a candle? Fuel as such even though highly inflammable, it needs something to ignite it but on the other hand electricity can ignite fire due to a short circuit.
In case of a wire cut it can cause short circuit and together with this if some fuel lines are also cut it can be very dangerous.
Please note that I am not saying this was the case in vineetkr, but definitely rodents can cause serious trouble.
Again just wondering where did i mention that this should not be taken to justice? Definitely it has to be investigated and being a Skoda owner I am also at risk and want to know the truth asap. Kindly dont misquote and change the topic.
B747 is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote