Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 8th September 2014, 14:49   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Default re: BMW 5-Series: Drivetrain Error

The BMW forums are awash with this error. just google it and you'll find a lot of problems, opinions and possible solutions.

Here's my 2 cents:
Your dealer really should have noted the error codes when he hooked the car up to the OBD analyzer. Even he did not, the technician should remember it. If they can't produce those error codes I would become very suspicious whether they had it hooked up in the first place.

These sort of problems could be due to a magnitude of different issues. It happened on my Jaguar and it was due to faulty micro switch on the brake pedal. The one thing you want to make sure of is the health state of your battery. These sort of cars need a good battery, if not they start going wonky in all sorts of peculiar ways.

If the official advise is to reflash or update the complete soft-/middle ware there should be a BMW service bulletin to that affect and it will specify what errors and problems get solved. If they can't produce the service bulletin run a mile from them because they are just using trial and error diagnostics.

I have never known any car manufacturere to charge for these sort of updates, other then perhaps the labour, but not the software. But maybe its different in India?

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2014, 09:30   #17
BHPian

Default Re: BMW 5-Series: Drivetrain Error

This may be a very basic question. But have you pulled codes yourself or from a dealer? A GT1 or some OBD tool can tell you so much more than a few lights on the dashboard. The 2k RPM seems like limp mode in all probability and it is (sort of) the car's immune system kicking in to stop you from driving and damaging it more. If the car is in limp mode, you shouldn't push it too hard and only use it to get to the stealership. A picture of the dash light (is it a "!" next to the transmission indicator?) and any codes that you got from a tool would help to analyse this.

Off topic : Does anyone know if Navnit(Bangalore) would do a software update for an E46 and charge around the same? Would be glad if someone could PM me a contact since the landline appears to be abandoned.

Last edited by shankarbn : 11th September 2014 at 09:32. Reason: Added more content
shankarbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2014, 12:48   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

The transmission error has reoccured in my car and after spending a week long diagnostics the BMW service center has said the gearbox needs to be replaced at a cost of 5.5 lakhs !! This is absolutely ridiculous !!

The car has done barely 35k kms in 5 years and always maintained at the BMW service center, never been abused whatsoever hence I have urged the dealership to get this covered under goodwill warranty. They are taking the matter up with BMW India and will revert by the weekend.

So much for being a BMW enthusiast and influencer who has advised number of people personally and on this forum to buy BMWs. I have even walked the talk and currently own 3 BMWs and are on the verge of buying a Mini. BMW ought to sort this out for any customer and moreover for someone that has been a big loyalist.
Sahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2014, 14:39   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
The transmission error has reoccured in my car and after spending a week long diagnostics the BMW service center has said the gearbox needs to be replaced at a cost of 5.5 lakhs !! This is absolutely ridiculous !!

The car has done barely 35k kms in 5 years and always maintained at the BMW service center, never been abused whatsoever hence I have urged the dealership to get this covered under goodwill warranty. They are taking the matter up with BMW India and will revert by the weekend.

So much for being a BMW enthusiast and influencer who has advised number of people personally and on this forum to buy BMWs. I have even walked the talk and currently own 3 BMWs and are on the verge of buying a Mini. BMW ought to sort this out for any customer and moreover for someone that has been a big loyalist.
Write to BMW India yourself. Just had an issue in the 3 where the brakes were juddering at high speed, and it wasn't getting approved under BSI. I took it up with BMW India, and made the dealership repeatedly speak to BMW, and finally after about 2 weeks it was approved.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2014, 14:51   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Write to BMW India yourself. Just had an issue in the 3 where the brakes were juddering at high speed, and it wasn't getting approved under BSI. I took it up with BMW India, and made the dealership repeatedly speak to BMW, and finally after about 2 weeks it was approved.
Why were they not approving it under BSI initially? I thought BMW BSI was almost a no nonsense plan. BTW what is the dealer's role in BSI plans? Is the plan active at the dealer level or the company level? Why I am asking is that why does the dealers shy away from changing parts under BSI since according to me BMW is the one picking up the cost for it.
drmohitg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2014, 16:12   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
I am getting the dealership owner to put in a word. They will revert with BMW's feedback tomorrow. If you have an email id of someone higher up at BMW who I can write to, please do PM me the details. Thanks!
Sahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2014, 13:36   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Why were they not approving it under BSI initially? I thought BMW BSI was almost a no nonsense plan. BTW what is the dealer's role in BSI plans? Is the plan active at the dealer level or the company level? Why I am asking is that why does the dealers shy away from changing parts under BSI since according to me BMW is the one picking up the cost for it.
There was rust on the pads and discs. They claimed BSI doesn't cover this, and I would have to wait till it wears out to replace. I emailed BMW, and spoke to someone where I questioned the logic of the decision. It was then decided they will replace the parts under BSI.

The dealer is the one who communicates with BMWs team to get part replacement approval under BSI in cases where the part isn't worn out. If the part is worn out it is pretty straightforward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
I am getting the dealership owner to put in a word. They will revert with BMW's feedback tomorrow. If you have an email id of someone higher up at BMW who I can write to, please do PM me the details. Thanks!
I don't have an email id unfortunately. I just wrote to their normal email id, but had requested the dealership owner and service head to put in a word.

It seems to have helped.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2014, 11:31   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Got 100% goodwill warranty after pulling some strings. Not only did I have the dealer I service from put in a word but was in the process of paying for the Mini hence held that dealer at ransom to help out too :P

However they are demanding nearly 50k as labor charge that will have to be borne by me! Is labour charged waived off for anyone that got this replaced under warranty?
Sahil is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote