Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 1st August 2006, 12:44   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu
29 psi? esteem tyre pressure is 26 psi right?
Bang on Jaggu.... 26psi is the recommended air pressure for esteem tires.

wonder where the rest of the numbers are coming from....

btw it is safer to maintain recommended or IMO at the most 1 - 2 psi lower than recommended for highway drives....

reason? more traction and also cos tires heat up more due to high speeds....
n_aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2006, 13:11   #32
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu
29 psi? esteem tyre pressure is 26 psi right?
Yes, for stock tyres. In this case the tyres have been upgraded -- generally higher pressures will be required if the upgraded tyres are of lower profile.
rks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2006, 13:35   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque
Pardon my ignorance guys... i have never driven an esteem at high speeds but isnt this a problem with the car itself, the superlight build of the esteem, coupled with superlight steering... it weighs a mere 35 kg more than a Santro!
i would say that u have never driven an esteem . (Full Stop)...so u r pardoned and pardoned again

p.s.
u r pardoned once more
p.p.s.
u r pardoned again

Last edited by esteem_lover : 1st August 2006 at 13:37.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2006, 14:05   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers
how come you guys are suggesting reducing tyre pressure now..I had a difference of opinion in reducing tyre pressures while on the highways..and there was a HUGE opposition to that..
Reducing tyre pressure by a pound or two is CORRECT..or the least you could do is leave it at factory setting and NOT INCREASE..
@headers, I remember the thread, but not able to find it.
Anyway, if I remember correctly, you had mentioned decreasing the tyre pressures for highway runs. And there were quite some people on the forum saying that decreasing would be dangerous and instead it should be increased. I could not follow their logic, but somehow felt that overinflating on highway runs was the wrong thing to do. Will search for that thread - planning a long highway run next week and it is better to be safe than sorry.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2006, 14:10   #35
BHPian

I have done a maximum of 180kph(speedo) a few times in my gf's Esteem Vx MPFI(2001) in goa on the beautiful verna strech. The car was using stock skinny 155/80-R13's Goodyear GPS-2. Never experienced any problems absolutely concerning handling and straight stability.So yeah the problem sounds wierd to me.

BTW, the max i have managed in my 2006 Esteem Vxi is about 140kph. Have not found good enough roads within Mumbai to try more. Anyways no problems encountered at all.

Last edited by prince85 : 1st August 2006 at 14:21.
prince85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2006, 14:32   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno
@headers, I remember the thread, but not able to find it.
Anyway, if I remember correctly, you had mentioned decreasing the tyre pressures for highway runs. And there were quite some people on the forum saying that decreasing would be dangerous and instead it should be increased. I could not follow their logic, but somehow felt that overinflating on highway runs was the wrong thing to do. Will search for that thread - planning a long highway run next week and it is better to be safe than sorry.
u r right on that SB.... when the tire is overinflated there is less contact with the road in terms of surface area.... and as tires get heated due to friction overinflation can actually be dangerous especially on highway runs as the speeds are way higher than city runs....

ensure to maintain recommended manufacturer PSI or 1-2 PSI lower than that.... tire contact with the road is more and even when the tire heats up and correspondingly expands the air in the tire it would not be as bad as it would in OVERINFLATED conditions.... hope this helps...

btw drive safe on the h/w... enjoy....
n_aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2006, 14:39   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya
u r right on that SB.... when the tire is overinflated there is less contact with the road in terms of surface area.... and as tires get heated due to friction overinflation can actually be dangerous especially on highway runs as the speeds are way higher than city runs....
Yes, my view point is also the same. But check out the other view at this link (got it after some searching) http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/18736-post13.html

Anyway, I plan to stick to the manual (manufacturer recommendation) for now, till I am clear about this.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2006, 14:43   #38
BHPian

I used to experience the "Unstable" feeling on my stock tyres (155/80R13 MRF Zigma CC) at speeds above 120... maybe it was psycological because I knew that the tyres were not meant to be going much faster than that...

I upgraded to Bridgestone Potenza GIIIs (185/70R13) last year and now the car can't go fast enough for the tyres!

My car is an LX (without power steering)... when the wheels are well balanced and the car is aligned correctly, it is stable right upto 175Kmph (the engine can't push it faster on a level road without a tail wind). The car doesn't exactly feel "planted" but it is stable enough to sustain those kinds of speeds thru most of the curves on the Mumbai Pune expressway. The car gets a little unsettled if the road is not completely smooth or I make any sudden moves with the steering and / or brakes... but I think that is because my suspension has become a little soft and mushy, but apart from the speedo, the only other thing that "warns" me that I'm nearing warp speed is the noise of the wind pushing its way past the rubber seals on the doors!

- T u r b o C -
turbo_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2006, 14:43   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya
Quote:
Bang on Jaggu.... 26psi is the recommended air pressure for esteem tires.
wonder where the rest of the numbers are coming from....

Quote:
btw it is safer to maintain recommended or IMO at the most 1 - 2 psi lower than recommended for highway drives....
reason? more traction and also cos tires heat up more due to high speeds....
yep, 26 is standard, 24 for the highways...just tested out my esteem with the new set of rubbers (Michelin XM1 175/70 R13). The car was steady as a rock. i could take my hands off the wheel for quite some time, till a curve appeared.. was doing 140 for 45 seconds without any wobbling or flying feeling..feet (tyre) firmly on the ground...i guess it is just got to do with the tyres, thats all, not alignment or balancing. if alignment & balancing are to be the problem, the car would wobble after 80/100 & the steering would vibrate a lot.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2006, 14:55   #40
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno
Yes, my view point is also the same. But check out the other view at this link (got it after some searching) http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/18736-post13.html

Anyway, I plan to stick to the manual (manufacturer recommendation) for now, till I am clear about this.
That post gives you the correct info. If I remember correctly, my Santro manual recommends an increase of tyre pressures for extended highway runs -- will check out the details and get back later. You should also check your manual carefully -- this may be mentioned under "Operation of your vehicle" or some such section.

Last edited by rks : 1st August 2006 at 14:59.
Old 1st August 2006, 15:05   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks
That post gives you the correct info. If I remember correctly, my Santro manual recommends an increase of tyre pressures for extended highway runs -- will check out the details and get back later. You should also check your manual carefully -- this may be mentioned under "Operation of your vehicle" or some such section.
The manuals normally talk about "load" conditions, not about highway runs....they talk about x number of people in the front & back and then they talk about "with full load" and in the latter case, the psi is higher.....example Ikon -
Normal load conditions: Front 30
Rear 28
Full load: Front 36
Rear 40.

Its just that we take fully loaded conditions as meaning highway runs (which they are in most cases)
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2006, 16:04   #42
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman
The manuals normally talk about "load" conditions, not about highway runs....they talk about x number of people in the front & back and then they talk about "with full load" and in the latter case, the psi is higher.....example Ikon -
Normal load conditions: Front 30
Rear 28
Full load: Front 36
Rear 40.

Its just that we take fully loaded conditions as meaning highway runs (which they are in most cases)
A variation of 12 psi in the rear wheels? That does seem a bit unusual to me. Anyway, regarding highway tyre pressures, this has been discussed a lot in this forum and I think many feel they must be increased by 2-4 psi. I agree with this. But I have also seen both points of view expressed on the internet. E.g. consider the recommendations of the following two sites:

(1) http://www.mynrma.com.au/easy_guides_beforeuleave.asp

Quote:
You will find a placard, usually inside the glovebox or in one of door housings, listing the correct tyre pressures for your car. Your owner's handbook will also have them. On the highway, it is a good idea to inflate your tyres to around 4 psi (30 kpa) above the recommended maximum, especially if you are fully loaded.

Heat build-up, caused by under-inflation, is the main cause of tyre failure. Adding a little extra pressure will allow your tyres to run cooler, wear will be reduced and your car will steer and handle better. While you're on the road, check your pressures every couple of days.
and

(2) http://www.indiacar.com/index2.asp?p...g_distance.htm

Quote:
Reduce tyre pressure by about 2-3 psi on high-speed roads as the Mumbai-Pune Expressway or the Delhi-Noida Expressway. High vehicle speeds on these rpads for long distances results in heating and automatic inflation of the tyres. If the tyres are already over-inflated, the hazard of a tyre burst is omnipresent.
I frankly think that the indiacar website gives the wrong info. Most of the experts seem to go with (1).
Old 1st August 2006, 16:18   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks
A variation of 12 psi in the rear wheels? That does seem a bit unusual to me.
From the owners manual buddy.......normal situations, the Ikon has lower pressure in the rear tyres compared to the front ones as you will notice. For the Fiesta, normal conditions (cold tyres), all 4 tyres 30 psi; for the full load conditions, I'll check & get back to you but its also quite a difference if I remember correctly

Last edited by suman : 1st August 2006 at 16:20.
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2006, 18:28   #44
BHPian

I used to run 28psi on my stock tyres (155/80R13 MRF Zigma CC), but settled down on 32psi on my upgraded tyres (185/70R13 Bridgestone Potenza GIII) on 13" x 5.5" alloy rims.

28 psi on the larger tyres was making the car hard to steer (no Power Steering) and sluggish... also the outer edges of the tyre were getting very black, a sure sign of under inflation. At 30psi, the black marks disappeared but steering was still hard and the tyres would squeal during hard braking and cornering... also, they felt "mushy" on hard cornering.

At 35 psi, steering is a breeze and handling is good too, but the ride starts getting harsh, so I settled for 32, where steering is slightly harder, but the handling is very good and ride is pretty good.

- T u r b o C -
turbo_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2006, 19:26   #45
Team-BHP Support

iKON has 30 in front and 32 in rear if i remember correct
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote