Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 20th September 2014, 18:28   #46
BHPian

^^ An almost similiar incident happened with. A city rear ended my kizashi. By the feel of it I expected the bumper to be disfigured & all. But when I got out & saw the damage there were only a few scratches and an impression of the city's number plate nail. The guy in the city accepted his fault & immediately gave me Rs. 5k as he was getting late. I took the money and was on my way.
On the other hand my honda city zx bumper is absolutely useless. Even a slight touch and it gets damaged & needs work.
TB16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2014, 12:39   #47
BHPian

My Polo got rear ended recently by a biker who was very busy looking right and left but not on the road.
Actually I was driving behind a scorpio who suddenly stopped the car due to some obstruction, I must have been at ~40km/hr but had sufficient distance to stop safely.
At this very moment my eyes went to the IRVM (I have a huge phobia of getting rear ended ) and I see this guy zooming towards my car without noticing that I am about to come to a halt and BANG.
I was expecting something like a huge crack on the bumper but to my surprise the bumper completely retained it's shape with just a minor scratch on it( which could be due to the bike's mudguard). This incident instilled more confidence in me about the structural strengths of my car.

Fortunately the silly biker also escaped unhurt.
Mr.mitsuvolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2014, 19:01   #48
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Have Manufacturers made bumpers useless?

Thanks for the details. However could you please tell me which method is employed what the manufacturer's specification sheet claims as TR.?
RajaTaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2014, 15:53   #49
BHPian

Default Re: Bumper covers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
What we call as "Bumpers" car manufacturers abroad call them as "Bumper covers" because the real bumper is the metal beam with energy absorbing deformable foam/plastic pieces on it which sits behind the plastic bumper cover.

In INDIA that metal cross beam is present in all vehicles, but not all manufacturer provides the energy absorbing deformable plastic/foam pieces which goes behind the bumper cover and on the metal beam. Some manufactures do provide that on some models India.
Fiat T-jet. Well protected.

Click here (Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review) for post
johy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2014, 20:36   #50
BHPian

Somehow I do not think that the sub-4m rule is responsible for shortened, weak bumpers, as plus-4m cars also have almost similar bumper(cover)s, give or take a few mms/cms. And pedestrian safety, too, cannot be important for having weak fronts and rears of cars, as the actual bumper could still be made a little tougher and more impact absorbing while keeping the bumper cover soft. Surely manufacturers could do that much R&D ? Even in a monocoque frame ?
It is more to do with cost and weight saving, plus making cars so fragile that a minor bump would cause enough damage for extensive repairs or total loss, benefitting the manufacturers.

Even buses and trucks these days have thinner bumpers than before, and the factory built buses by TATA, ASHOK LEYLAND, and VOLVO are almost as fragile in front and rear impacts as modern cars.

What is most irritating in modern cars is that most of these huge looking but extremely fragile bumper(cover)s have very flimsy fittings, and come off quite easily in minor scrapes and knocks. Then they can neither be fitted back in mid-traffic, nor be carried easily inside. For example, if an Ambassador scrapes say, a Honda, while trying to get ahead when the red light turns green, the Honda owner had better be carrying pieces of string and wire, and/or a sharp punch with screws and washers. Or he/she may prepare to offload some passengers/luggage so that the dirty bumper can take a ride inside till a mechanic does the "needful" !

I remember standing in a traffic jam on the highway in a Nissan Jonga when the truck in front decides to reverse without asking the helper to get down and 'help', and BAM hits the Jonga's front bumper so hard that the smaller vehicle goes back six inches ! Only a few flakes of paint came off !
But those were the days ! And even the Jongas and Jeeps and Land Rovers had notoriously weak rears, compared to cars of those days.
SnakemanJohny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2014, 21:10   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB16 View Post
^^ An almost similiar incident happened with. A city rear ended my kizashi. By the feel of it I expected the bumper to be disfigured & all. But when I got out & saw the damage there were only a few scratches and an impression of the city's number plate nail. The guy in the city accepted his fault & immediately gave me Rs. 5k as he was getting late. I took the money and was on my way.
On the other hand my honda city zx bumper is absolutely useless. Even a slight touch and it gets damaged & needs work.
I am not sure if you have noticed this or not but the Kizashi has a very thick thermocol inside the bumper to protect the car.

The City, SX4 doesn't have this.
Captain Slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2014, 23:10   #52
BHPian

This also brings to mind the three part bumpers of the original Honda City. If you damage the bumper, just replace the damaged section without having to replace the entire thing. I wish those had caught on. Even Honda only used those on just that single model.
Does anyone know what the pricing was like on the sections vs the whole bumper ?
Mortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2014, 12:17   #53

On the same line as Aerohit, just look at the count of cars, especially SUVs and to some extent even hatchbacks you get to see on Indian Roads with local fitted accessories having sharp edges, they may look appealing price-wise but no engineering goes into manufacturing them unlike OE genuine / recommended accessories.
The result in some cases is that the rear and/or front bumper is cut into pieces during a collision, just think what would be the result of a human limb in such a case.
People yet need to get out of the mentality that this car which I have bought is to last for ages and that as I need to reach home safe and in 1 piece, the same do pedestrians do.
Nevertheless, there is a lag of adherence on the pedestrians as well. Very few of them respecting the traffic and flocking in between cars in tarffic to cross the road, and all this is with many of Indian drivers just not confident enough about how much gap is left between their and the preceding vehicle.
WHOA.
AkashN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2014, 19:29   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
I am not sure if you have noticed this or not but the Kizashi has a very thick thermocol inside the bumper to protect the car.

The City, SX4 doesn't have this.
Probably because its a CBU, and not a victim of cost cutting like the cars manufactured in house!
sohail99 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2015, 10:55   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappa View Post
Comparison between the i-gen i20 and the new Elite i20.
The newer model has a slightly shortened bumper !
Yes, but I think that can also be due to the newer and stricter pedestrian safety norms, where the bumpers have to be as flat as possible to avoid shearing of the leg. So can be a good thing in that regard.

Also the bonnet line is moving inwards, with a small plastic region between the bonnet edge and frontmost point of the bumper.
teemus is offline   Reply With Quote