Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 18th June 2008, 00:18   #16
BHPian

Smile

Dude, there is already a thread on this, please search before creating a new thread.

Sorry mods, Am playing your role. No offence meant.
cheers:
eclectix 1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2008, 12:27   #17
BHPian

OT: Is that Jason in the car?
Rocky_Balboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2008, 06:49   #18
BHPian

What else is left? A wind powered Reva perhaps?
sujaylahiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2008, 09:35   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclectix 1st View Post
Dude, there is already a thread on this, please search before creating a new thread.

Sorry mods, Am playing your role. No offence meant.
cheers:
Why dont you go ahead and merge the threads then DUDE?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Balboa View Post
OT: Is that Jason in the car?
Bimster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2008, 16:34   #20
BHPian

@Rocky - It does look like Jason in the car!!! Thought he hated water!
MustangMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2008, 16:53   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangMan View Post
@Rocky - It does look like Jason in the car!!! Thought he hated water!
Sorry for going way off topic
Was this pic clicked on friday the 13th of this month???

I thought he was dead
motorheadinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2008, 17:00   #22
Senior - BHPian

fantastic idea - imagine tanking up each morning from the house tap rather than at a fuel bunk!
what a blast!!

wish it works
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2008, 17:39   #23
Team-BHP Support

It is not exactly a Water powered "Reva" so to say. The inventors (Genepax) used Reva probably because it had most of the ingredients in it, ready to use. A light bodied small car with an electric engine. The inventors plan to talk with the Japanese manufacturers to launch such water powered cars in Japan. Reva is nowhere in the scene in this whole thing.

By the way, if you listened to the video it says one tankful is good for an hours running. Or some such thing. So its still not very practical. At least not in this country. I can not afford to get stuck in the middle of the road and get honked to madness. It will be almost a surety that every day while going and coming back from office I will have to go in search of a water tap with a jerrycan in hand, just as in another era of those water-filled radiators.
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2008, 17:46   #24
BHPian

Nevertheless it would pave way for a cleaner future with lesser dependency on non renewable resources of energy.
Hey when they can make the car run on water they may be able to run it more efficiently as time passes by.

Plus if Reva is almost ready / fit to use the technology why not talk to Reva itself.
I wont mind if they remove the heavy batteries and put in jerry cans.

Maybe they can build a subframe where the cars body can have a sandwitched layer forming yet another water container.
Another advantage of doing the same would be that the water will insulate the car to an extent so that AC/heater losses will be minimized and hence the car will run longer and will have more fuel (err water) capacity.
Just a wild idea
motorheadinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2008, 17:56   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sujaylahiri View Post
What else is left? A wind powered Reva perhaps?
Air powered cars are already being tested. There was a program on Discovery Channel yesterday about a DIY attempt to run a moped on Air. It works! on compressed air.

And Tata may soon bring such cars to India.

cheers!
smsrini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2008, 18:30   #26
BHPian

Recently saw the newspaper that Japan has done the working model of car running in water. It's not distilled water but any water (sea water, tap water). Sea water is 75% of earth so there is no problem for the fuel.
gopinathann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2008, 19:20   #27
BHPian

Forgive my cynicism, but this sounds very much like the "fuel from water n some assorted herbs" we heard about earlier. Also seems that these guys are trying to create a Perpetual Motion Machine (PMM), dunno when they will accept facts and give up. Unless water is getting used as the working fluid here (like air in ICEs). That might work, just as the steam engine did. But then this car would be no more water powered, than my car is air powered.

Do not get me wrong, I do appreciate the effort (it is the intention I doubt, like in the fuel from water case). We need more details though, before concluding that this is an alternative to ICEs, or a hoax. So petrolheads need not worry....yet
anurag_p80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2008, 20:04   #28
Senior - BHPian

So eventually we can expect wholesale sea-water and lake-water outlets of HP, IOC, Reliance, BP, Shell and many other brands in the cities and towns that are far from coastal region. At the same time huge traffic jams, cues and non-stop honking around beach areas and lake areas. I wont be surprised if Govt. of India puts 12.5% VAT on sea water too !!
shajufx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2008, 20:34   #29
BHPian

Great!

Now we don't need to stop for a "PITSTOP".
Torqy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2008, 10:44   #30

While cynicism is good for new technology, but we must support people who have been putting lot of effort so as to make this a workable solution for the future.

Guys I have been working on converting my cars to run of water (aka hydrogen) for some years and have successfully converted a few in the last few years. At present my Wagon R runs on 35% Hydrogen and 65% Petrol. The trick here is not just of being able to produce on-demand Hydrogen !!.

If more hydrogen is produced, knocking may occur and if you are not interested to modify your car originality, as is the case with me, This theory works much more easily with old (pre-2000 era) cars where it was much easier to retard the ignition by turning the distributor to your favour. However, the post 2000 cars have OBD1 (the world standard is now OBDII), do not allow us to directly modify the ignition hence there is much more to do with inter electronics now. I have made several designs of Map sensors and EFIE sensors which work pretty sweet. However my theory is not run the car completely on water but partially on water as I am not interested in any kind of storage of hydrogen in the car. Safety is first !!

I would be writing more on this thread if there are folks interested in this technology.

Bottom line is, as long as your common sense is in place, this is perfectly safe and extremely environment friendly and what more, it give more power than the conventional hydrocarbon fuels. (The water tank in my car is just about 1.25 ltrs) and I change water every Sunday (after approx 200km).

Anjeel Babbar

Last edited by Technocrat : 20th October 2008 at 11:02. Reason: Removed Font tags
anjeel is offline   Reply With Quote