Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2014, 20:01   #31
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: KL
Posts: 4,705
Thanked: 3,629 Times
Default Re: Absence of Oil Cooler in New Swift - How important is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopa99 View Post
Hi sankar, is there a method to measure the peak oil temperatures on your swift? I know of AVL PUC machines (opacity testers) for diesel which has a probe which measures oil temperature. But most PUC centers, they bypass this for ease.

It would be interesting to check the oil at a lab prior to your scheduled oil drain, this will let us know if your oil was indeed under exceptional thermal stress. If it is not, then a aftermarket mod on the oil cooler may not be required at all.
Not without aftermarket probes and gauges, oil temp isn't available in OBD.
In US blackstone lab does oil analysis for a fee, do we have any labs in India who can do a similar job? Blackstone even sent me one of their free bottles for me to send my used oil but its not feasible to do it from here.

I went by the logic that if Maruti decided to retain an oil cooler for the 90HP VGT engine there should be a reason, higher specific power output and higher temps could be it. Since my car is remapped and running a fast tune i thought i'll be on the safe side and run a cooler.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2014, 20:53   #32
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 223
Thanked: 60 Times
Default Re: Absence of Oil Cooler in New Swift - How important is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Not without aftermarket probes and gauges, oil temp isn't available in OBD.
In US blackstone lab does oil analysis for a fee, do we have any labs in India who can do a similar job? Blackstone even sent me one of their free bottles for me to send my used oil but its not feasible to do it from here.er.
I understand your logic now. There is a lab in bangalore and one in mumbai, but then its a pain to get it done!
Does your oil need to be topped up much more now after the mod? Also do you feel your vehicle is loosing power once engine is heated up on long runs?
Running on full synth (0W's) is the best way out also. I have seen 0 or 10W60 being used by RRR for turbo modded gasolines for the above reasons.
gopa99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2014, 22:51   #33
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: KL
Posts: 4,705
Thanked: 3,629 Times
Default Re: Absence of Oil Cooler in New Swift - How important is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopa99 View Post
I understand your logic now. There is a lab in bangalore and one in mumbai, but then its a pain to get it done!
Does your oil need to be topped up much more now after the mod? Also do you feel your vehicle is loosing power once engine is heated up on long runs?
Running on full synth (0W's) is the best way out also. I have seen 0 or 10W60 being used by RRR for turbo modded gasolines for the above reasons.
No there is no unusual oil consumption or power loss on long runs, infact on long highway runs the engine gets better. I'm now using Mobil1 0W40 because i had it with me, but for the next change i'm switching to Delvac 1. Beyond stock the car is also running higher boost, 20.5psi stock is 17.5 max.

Which is that lab in bangalore? Guess they're not into end user oil analysis and thus the pain?
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2014, 10:29   #34
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 223
Thanked: 60 Times
Default Re: Absence of Oil Cooler in New Swift - How important is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
No there is no unusual oil consumption or power loss on long runs, infact on long highway runs the engine gets better. I'm now using Mobil1 0W40 because i had it with me, but for the next change i'm switching to Delvac 1. Beyond stock the car is also running higher boost, 20.5psi stock is 17.5 max.
Sankar, this is the website. You can find the Bangalore phone numbers in it.
http://www.shriraminstitute.org/petroleum.html

They indeed perform used oil analysis. But you need to have the new oil sample (ideally what you poured in or something really close) along with the old sample to make a great comparative analysis. If you are really keen, then I can suggest you some tests and you can find the costs with them. And these tests are costly too (budget around 6K)
Another way is to get in touch with a Mobil 1 representative, they too, if you are lucky, could test them for you for getting your continued patronage.
gopa99 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2014, 21:21   #35
Distinguished - BHPian
 
dhanushs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bathery/BLR
Posts: 3,460
Thanked: 4,119 Times
Default Re: Absence of Oil Cooler in New Swift - How important is it?

Sankar, check your coolant temperature. If the difference from an oil cooler equipped Swift is below 5 degrees and doesn't show much fluctuation even at full load/power , then don't bother fitting an oil cooler.

However, if you are really interested in fitting one, go to the Gujri, you'll find lot of oil coolers. IIRC, corsa, astra, etc..etc. came with proper oil radiators. Take a high pressure oil line and make it pass through the oil radiator. Fit the radiator where there is adequate air flow, or fit a small low power 12v DC fan on to it.

The oil radiator, will be much more effective than the oil cooler you say maruti removed from the recent models of the Swift.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2014, 22:31   #36
Senior - BHPian
 
aaggoswami's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Vadodara
Posts: 4,679
Thanked: 1,436 Times
Default Re: Why Do We Need An Engine Oil Cooler?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Recently i came across this interesting article on Engine Oil Cooler from Mocal oil coolers. I'm uploading the entire stuff from their web page http://www.mocal.co.uk/FAQ.html
PS : A few abbreviations will be in the post, but for the sake of explanation.

What we call cooler are also called Heat Exchangers. Heat Exchangers are Radiators, Oil Cooler ( includes Engine Oil Cooler, Hydraulic Oil Cooler, Transmission Oil Cooler )
The firm I work for was one of the first to start manufacturing Bar & Plate Oil Coolers. I am fortunate to have designed a few sheets for commercial purpose for my firm.
The biggest advantage of Bar & Plate Oil Cooler is that it can handle a lot of pressure. Pressure here is not system pressure, but operating pressure.
Bar & Plate coolers can operate at consistently high pressure running upto even 25 Bar.

Industrial applications demand such coolers. Like heavy hydraulic machines, windmills, etc. Drawn Cup cooler, popularly known as D-Cup coolers were pioneered in India by JCB.
The construction and earth moving machines mainly use Plate and Bar Coolers for very high pressure applications.

What are they called :
TOC : Transmission Oil Cooler
HOC : Hydraulic Oil Cooler
OC : Oil Cooler ( mainly engine )

Plate & Bar construction is also used in manufacturing of Intercooler. Intercooler, technically, is a cooler between two Turbo chargers. CAC, also known as Charge Air Cooler, is terminology where only one turbo is there and the charged ( compressed and hence hot ) air cooled.
Automotive application now have Plate & Bar Cores with Plastic tanks in CAC. Usually these are not high performance applications.

Very heavy applications will also have Radiators built with Plate and Bar Technology. Plate and Bar Radiator, Oil cooler/TOC/HOC and CAC are normally called Combi-Cooler. Oil Coolers are also used in Industrial Fluid Coupling.

Any heat exchanger performance largely depends upon its fin. There are many varieties of fins available in the market. Note that this is applicable for Air to Air/Water/Oil Coolers. There are other heat exchangers available where its closed circuit and coolant flows to cool down oil.

EDIT : For any Aluminium based heat exchanger, Brazing is very critical to avoid core leakage. Now, there are brazing technologies like Nitrogen Based Controlled Atmosphere Brazing. New technology is "Vacuum Brazing" which is widely used in China. The Plate and Bar heat exchangers manufactured using Vacuum Brazing and welded tanks can operate at continuous pressure of over 30-35 Bar.

I know this post is OT, but thought of sharing here what I have come to know while working in heat exchanger manufacturer firm.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 8th October 2014 at 22:58.
aaggoswami is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2014, 19:54   #37
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: KL
Posts: 4,705
Thanked: 3,629 Times
Default Re: Absence of Oil Cooler in New Swift - How important is it?

The oil cooler is installed, pics and details in the post below. Should help in short city drives too
Quote:
because engine coolant warms more quickly than the oil, the oil warm up is quicker which can show benefits in engine wear and economy.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post3552898 (Swift Diesel: Code6 Remap with Decat downpipe)
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2014, 20:40   #38
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: KL
Posts: 4,705
Thanked: 3,629 Times
Default Keep Your Engine Alive: The Importance of Oil Temperature

Why oil to water cooler?

Quote:
One of the things you will find if you have a oil pressure or temperature gauge is that regardless of the fact that oil is running through your engine and cooling it just like the coolant Ė it takes on and loses heat differently than coolant.

Oil temperature is probably the most important thing to know, specifically for those of us who are pushing our cars hard. Free reving (or worse Ė racing) on an engine that has not fully reached itís oil operating temperature is extremely dangerous. But donít think that the coolant gauge will tell you this information Ė it wonít.

As a general rule of thumb, after the car is warmed up, oil tends to be a few degrees warmer than the coolant (usually 10-15 degrees Fahrenheit).

However, it takes much longer for oil to come up to temperature than coolant. When you start your car in the morning, most of us are wise enough to not romp on the car until the coolant gauge is up to operating temperature.

In short Ė itís really bad for your engine to run it hard until itís OIL is completely warmed up. Coolant temperature is a false indicator.

When you first start running your car for the day, make sure to keep the revs low and take it easy for at very least the first 5 or so minutes of driving, longer in extreme cold temperatures. Most importantly, and least obviously Ė donít trust your coolant gauge to be a good indicator that your engine is fully warmed up.

In cars with oil coolers that utilize the coolant to cool (used on many imports, sandwhiched between the oil filter and the block), the oil temp will actually come up with the coolant as an added bonus to keeping oil temperatures cooler under high loads.
Same has been said before also.

Taken from: http://www.tuneruniversity.com/blog/...l-temperature/
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Unusual Oil Cooler - How Effective? dhanushs 4x4 Technical 17 11th April 2014 16:45
Fiat 500 delivered in U.S. - ends 27 year absence camchennai The International Automotive Scene 9 14th March 2011 15:06
Oil cooler for 350 mankamble Motorbikes 9 8th February 2010 13:55
Turbocharged 800 Oil Cooler racerdabba Technical Stuff 36 30th October 2008 17:36
Spark, Santro, i10 or others - FE important - 1500kms/month, Rear seat not important monishdesign Hatchbacks 7 11th March 2008 12:27


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 09:05.

Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks