Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 31st July 2006, 10:36   #1
Default Euro IV Norms in 2007 And ABS?

Hi All,

I have heard that Euro IV norms are coming into effect from January 2007. Does anyone have any idea on this? If it is true then there would be lot of activity in coming months or so. To my knowledge, majority of cars are having Euro III engines and they would certainly have to tweak their engines to comply with the new norms. This may also present a good time to companies to give a little cosmetic touch-ups (and more) too.

Also, I other thread I came to know that in some of the cases where ABS is available as an option or as a standard fitment, only one set of tyres are ABS enabled. To check this out I gave a call to Hyundai showroom and enquired about XO ABS. The attendant did not have any figure for ABS model. Instead, he asked me why I want ABS. Surprised, I told him that obviously it is a better safety feature and must have if you can afford it. He contrastingly told me that he has sold many cars in Delhi and in Uttaranchal too ... all with standard brakes as they are OK. When I insisted, he said that the price difference is around 18-20K. He did not have much knowledge on type of ABS (all four wheels or front wheels only). So I picked up The Times Of India and on last page of Delhi Times there was a Santro Adv. In bottom left corner of the adv., I found Hyundai Customer Care number. I dialled there and enquired about the XO ABS price. The person could only tell me Ex-Showroom price for Non-ABS XO. I then asked if ABS is enabled on all four wheels of Santro . He told me that only front set of wheels are ABS enabled and only cars having EBD have ABS on all four wheels (D segment Hyundai cars).

I find it really surprising that Hyundai is charging 18-20K, which is certainly not a small amount, and are providing ABS on front wheels only!!! They could have easily provided it on all four wheels. I wonder if same goes with WagonR ABS too.

Comments please ...
ms_rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2006, 19:41   #2

India does not follow Euro Norms,It follows Bharat Stage Norms which are not so different yet so alike..! I think Bharat Stage 3 will survive another year and will look for changes in 2008..Since most of the new launches are Bharat Stage 3, any immediate change into the norms will cause a price increase in almost all segments of cars as certain components of the engine, sensors have to be changed and this will effect price and all..!
wolfinstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2006, 15:54   #3
Senior - BHPian

Originally Posted by ms_rana
Hi All,

I have heard that Euro IV norms are coming into effect from January 2007. Does anyone have any idea on this?
Where did you hear this from? Your information does not seem to be correct.

Please check out the following link:

Bharat Stage IV is due only from 2010 and that too only in the 11 metros/regions.

Last edited by directinjection : 1st August 2006 at 16:00.
directinjection is offline   Reply With Quote