Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 2nd August 2006, 13:35   #1
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)
Default WHEN and WHY does one feel the need for more power ??

A question thats been lingering in my head since yesterday !!! Had a couple of dads friends visiting my place .. One of them went " So what else do u do other than studies ?? "
I went like " we are a bunch of guys who mod our cars and take part in events like drags , track days etc basically auto enthus " ..

To which came a reply " What makes u feel the need for more power ?? "
I went speechless .. Regained myself and said " well in this boring life of ours (those doing engineering would quite agree with me) , with an aim to seek some adventure , with an aim to carry forth our passion for cars , for driving , for competitive forms of racing , to persue our passions we mod our cars " .. We dream and try and live our dreams ..

To which yet another question beckons " Fine , atleast a few of u take part in professional events but what do the rest with modded cars do ?? Roads in our country neither have expressways (barring a couple) nor autobahns to put to use the benefits of doing engine mods .. Im sure nothing can be done within city limits .. If done its outright dangerous (quite in sync with what my fellow tbhpians have advocated too ) " ..

Well quite rightly put a question isnt it ?? Made me to think , made me wonder in how simple a sentence he had said " Whats the use of modding when u cant reap the max benefits of it ?? "
Thats when i realised the importance of doing track days , drags et all where we can showcase our cars capabilities , show ur agression in places not endangering public lives , see to it that every penny spent in modding has been worth it ..

But i do have plenty of friends who have spent insane amounts of money for engine mods ranging from expensive engine transplants in their zens to anything under the sun .. All this for just a daily drive while they cant even open their cars ?? Or is it just for show off ?? Trying to better ur neighbours/friends upgraded spec sheet ??

Well the thought seems pondering enough if not stupid .. After a TD of my car at some 1am , coupled with a few stunned and oooogggleed wide opened jaws dad tells them that im looking at nearly increasing the power of the car 1 fold very soon and that this is just the beginning .. They go .. Next question " When do u know u need MORE POWER " ??
Said " When i get bored with the existing power (after having tried everything possible on track day with bald tires etc etc ), after having done almost everything u could have tried on ur existing setup " ..

They went u have gotten bored with it already ?? Its been hardly 2 months ?? 3 months ?? Which made me think yet again .. When does one feel the need for more power ??

So would like to know from my fellow enthusiasts ..

1. Why do we mod our engines ?? Where do we put them to use ?? Where do we test them ??
2. When does one feel the need for more power ??

Would like to see what answers the others will come up with , as i was left speechless when someone cross questioned me .. If nothing else atleast il know what to say the next time im asked these questions ..
mclaren1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2006, 13:41   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885
What makes u feel the need for more power ?? "

" Whats the use of modding when u cant reap the max benefits of it ?? "

When do u know u need MORE POWER " ??
Answers to these question - McL , you will understand with time ! Till then enjoy !
normally_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2006, 14:41   #3
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885
What makes u feel the need for more power ?? "

" Whats the use of modding when u cant reap the max benefits of it ?? "

When do u know u need MORE POWER " ??
Hey ... every individulal feels the need for power for different reasons so you cant generalise the answer !! Its like asking why do women get silicone jobs done .. ;-) ??

As for use of Modding when we cant reap max benefits .... well that one quick race from a red light with tyres burning, exhaust screaming and then looking at the expressions all around is worth every penny !! A lot of ppl Mod coz their dads have loads of money and they dunno how to spend it ... suddenly they see a movie like FAST & FURIOUS .. whoa, there you go . They set up a NOS system so that they can brag to others ... Its true !!

As for when do we need more power .... thats like asking ' when do we need more moolah ' = ALL THE BLOODY TIME ... !!

Cheers
khaadu75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2006, 15:17   #4
DRC
BHPian

Dont know whether your dad's friend was asking a techie question or a Philosophical question .

Technically, when do you feel the need for more power?
Answer... Always!

"Why" is a bigger question.
1. To win the race....but why again?
TO SHOW THE REST YOU ARE SUPERIOR. I may sound like Hitler, but it is true. Every animal and human have this intrinsic need to show off the superiority in one or the other way.
DRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2006, 15:47   #5
Senior - BHPian

It comes from the old days when man was a hunter.. he had to prove to the woman that he is indeed more powerful than anyone, even more than the woman.
I think it is something to do with masculinity. if ur dad's friend is a man, then he was trying to belittle you, since he didn't understand a word of what u said, & he has succeeded pretty much. the next time u face a question like that, stand firm & say ' I just like it' & keep giving one word replies. that should put 'em off. u will feel the difference then....

Last edited by esteem_lover : 2nd August 2006 at 15:51.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2006, 16:06   #6
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover
It comes from the old days when man was a hunter.. he had to prove to the woman that he is indeed more powerful than anyone, even more than the woman.
I think it is something to do with masculinity. :
Hey, I dont agree with you on this part ... atleast from my perspective its got nothing to do ' MASCULINITY ' !! I wud have agreed if you'd said that its to try and impress/attract the opposite sex .... and trust me there are a whole lot of women who can put us men to shame when it comes to driving .. !!

Its a simple adrenaline rush that we guys take by modding cars ... or maybe its coz we cant afford to buy a Evo so we try and turn our lil zens as close to an Evo as we can !!!

Cheers
khaadu75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2006, 16:52   #7
Senior - BHPian

Why and when does one need more power. Lets think of it, towards the end of 1800's and the beginning of 1900's people raced with their machines, speeds started from as low as 18-20 kmph. Its just the need for speed of people that transportation is getting quicker by the day. Every technological advancement has their roots in motorsports. The need for speed can never be complete without the need for more power. But then thats not the whole point either.

People dont just mod cars, they also mod themselves, getting more out of available resources both Man and Machine. Its like maximizing oneself, like a music performer, needs both the tuned equipment as well as his own skills. Like people collecting Stamps. Lets get it straight, it would be plane-jane boring to sit at home and meditate (and think about Nirvana and all that), instead one can find his area of interest and take it further. In case of Auto enthusiasts its the cars and their own skills.

Being beaten one would question both the Man as well as the machine. Moreover its always safer to speed on a powerful machine than a lesser-endowed one. On the Powerful machine one would not hesitate to kill momentum and wait for potential risks to vanish but on a less powerful machine one would always try to keep momentum and take those risks (sometimes silly/fatal ones).
1100D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2006, 17:06   #8
Senior - BHPian

Well one reason to mod cars & bikes is also to be differrent..than the usual people..u wanna get noticed in that shiny pink zen with an esteem engine and all ..

It could also be just for the fun of it..some people LOVE cars and thats why they keep exploring options of what you could do..
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2006, 17:16   #9
BHPian

When do we need more power...........

ALL THE TIME
Revvhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2006, 17:46   #10
Senior - BHPian

Q: WHY do we need more power?
A: Why do we breathe? Why did god create us? Timepass, bhai...

Q: WHEN does one feel the need for power?
A: When we are hungry. Or happy.

Q: WHY does one feel the need for power?
A: To BE happy. For example, what's L.N. bhai gonna do with 20 billion $? Why does he keep expanding?

Q: WHERE do we feel the need for power?
A: Everywhere. Power can be felt in various forms. God. Nature. Will. BHP.

Like Khaadu said, power and money know no boundaries. Satisfaction, howsoever temporary, can only be achieved by gaining more.

I live engines/cars/bikes as I breathe. That's it.
veyron1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2006, 19:19   #11
BHPian

The need for more power comes from more adrenaline produced in the early age....there is hormonal changes in teenage & up to 24 years or so.....its bcz of this one drives faster.....take risks....do heavy workouts....& enjoy fast thrilled events.....even though one dont indulge in these activities....he stay interested in these....and when age matures life becomes smooth & steady.....However If one has active interest maintained then it becomes addiction.....I think we all TBhpians are addicted....to more power....

Enjoy.....
finetuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2006, 19:25   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

When and Why do we feel the need for more MONEY ??
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2006, 19:33   #13
BHPian

I think nobody can really answer these questions. We car enthus always crave for more power but some others think why do we need more power.
sridhar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2006, 19:33   #14
BHPian

We feel the need.....the need for SPEEED!! Why do people want the latest cell phones / computers / gadgets etc?? Cars and bikes are aspirational products...we always want more than what we have....its a process of continuous self-improvement
kurmist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2006, 19:43   #15
Senior - BHPian

@Mpower: When the creditors start threatening you to impound that BMW you leased....lol...
veyron1 is offline   Reply With Quote