Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 17th October 2014, 13:00   #1
BHPian

Default Is my car moody?

Over the years, I am sometimes perplexed with the way my car behaves. For example, I get into your car and while driving I notice that the car is in no mood to respond to my sudden surge in Adrenaline. It keeps saying back I am in no mood for what you are asking for. Please let me relax. I press the accelerator hard and the car responds very slowly.

Nothing has really changed in last few days - I did not fill fuel, neither I had the car serviced, battery and tire pressure seems fine. But the car, hmmm, just does not seem to be in mood today. I give up and reach my destination and keep pondering what happened.

I finish my work and then knowing how the car is going to behave, get in and start driving. Voila, the car starts responding to all my gestures as if saying back I am fully charged up Man. I ponder what really changed. I cheer up, lighten up and enjoy my driving.

I do understand that there is surely some technical reason behind the car behavior. But somehow, I feel this occurring with me from time to time.
Not sure if any of you experienced such things. Anyways, wanted to express how I sometimes ask myself - Is my car moody?
Simhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2014, 13:07   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Is my car moody?

Which car mate? Please provide more details.

This can happen due to bad fuel. Just a guess ...
aniketi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2014, 13:19   #3
Team-BHP Support

Can you please provide some inputs around

* your car
* make and model (is it carburetted or FI)
* where in India is this car run (Pune?)
* last service date
* when was the last oil/filters etc were changed
* has any throttle body cleaning been done
* do u feel this sluggishness only when you run it the first time in the whole day?
Zappo is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2014, 13:29   #4
BHPian

Here are the details
Car: Hyundai i10 AT (Petrol Automatic)
Last Service: May 2014
Oil/Filters Changed: During last service
Throttle body cleaning: Not done during last service
Sluggishness: Not particularly during first run in the day.

The car is low running one. Hardly covered 13K in 4 years... Usually taken out during the weekends...but the issue does not occur every time, but once a while - once or twice a month.
Old 17th October 2014, 14:07   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simhi View Post
Car: Hyundai i10 AT ( Automatic)
I think your answer lies here. Get the auto box thoroughly checked, the electronic side mainly.

If you have an obd scanner, see if there are any fault codes shown.

Also first try disconnecting the battery for 15min, which would reset the ecu.
JayD is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2014, 14:08   #6
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (10)

On a lighter note : is the car pink in color ?

Never observed anything like that before !! could it be due to the way ECU calibrates ? say If i am zipping on highways for 300 kms and when i reach city traffic.

Edit: Looks like you drive an AT. I have never owned an AT. so no comments
rajshenoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2014, 14:13   #7
BHPian

Once in a month... er... one could understand why she isnt in the mood :-D

Jokes apart - I have sensed this too; for both the cars I have owned. On some days, the engine appears a bit more rough, and a general lethargy (not highly noticeable though ). My theory is that it could be a combination of the weather conditions, ambient temp and perhaps also some speck of dirt here and there in the fuel line..

On some days, she just purrs, taking me by complete surprise. Well, machines too may have a mind of their own!

Last edited by Bigzero : 17th October 2014 at 14:17.
Bigzero is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2014, 14:16   #8
BHPian

I have noticed such behavior mostly due to external temperature change.
Say the first time you drive the car on a sunny day, and the engine reaches the operating temperature in a certain duration, quickly, and you feel the car responding back to you vigorously.

Now say you start driving on a rainy cold day, you'll feel it is behaving differently.

I have also seen after parking for a long time under direct sunlight, car feels loose, maybe due to the reduced density of fuel from the heat?

Also, road conditions (more or less traction) air thickness (hot or cold day) should have an impact as well.

That's my theory.
cr4nkshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2014, 14:19   #9
Senior - BHPian

Maybe it's just that day of the week, you gotta be gentle with her

The i10 Automatic needs to be be driven in a certain way to get it to respond as you need it to. That 4 speed automatic transmission is the culprit. I don't think there's anything wrong with the car, it's just that you perhaps aren't fully attuned to the way it behaves.

Drive in a more relaxed, sedate manner with planned overtakes and no sudden throttle inputs and the car will respond smoothly and as expected. Put the pedal to the metal and don't expect it to respond anytime soon, the car is a lazy librarian, you have to treat it as such.
iliketurtles is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2014, 14:29   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
Drive in a more relaxed, sedate manner with planned overtakes and no sudden throttle inputs and the car will respond smoothly and as expected.
Indeed, I totally agree with the above statement. It is about driving style and not the car. Maybe the driving is impacted due to traffic patterns or the driver's "mood" as you say it. The promptness of a vehicle does not change on a regular basis. What I mean to say is that, its a machine after all and any technical fault would lead to a bad driving experience each and every time, the fault wil not correct itself!

So just relax and tune your mood with your car's mood
Fiatanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2014, 14:39   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Over the years, I am sometimes perplexed with the way my car behaves.

I do understand that there is surely some technical reason behind the car behavior. But somehow, I feel this occurring with me from time to time.
Not sure if any of you experienced such things. Anyways, wanted to express how I sometimes ask myself - Is my car moody?
Like the way you have captured this. I can relate to it. While I am sure there perfectly reasonable practical reasons, one can't can't avoid looking at it this way. Probably because because of how we feel about our rides; we risk humanizing an inanimate object.

For instance, my safari too feels rough on some days. But seems to be real smooth at another point in the same day. I have wondered if I did anything differently.
And then have closed it with this perspective, it's a moody beast..

Here's the interesting thing, didn't feel that about our getz and Honda city. Only about the m800, safari and the bullet.
DaiusPitar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2014, 14:45   #12
Senior - BHPian

This thread title reminded me of something I had read a long while back, probably as an email forward more than a decade back - a customer complaining to General Motors that his car is allergic to vanilla ice cream.

A complaint was received by the Pontiac Division of General Motors:
‘This is the second time I have written to you, and I don’t blame you for not answering me, because I sounded crazy, but it is a fact that we have a tradition in our family of Ice-Cream for dessert after dinner each night, but the kind of ice cream varies so, every night, after we’ve eaten, the whole family votes on which kind of ice cream we should have and I drive down to the store to get it. It’s also a fact that I recently purchased a new Pontiac and since then my trips to the store have created a problem….

You see, every time I buy a vanilla ice-cream, when I start back from the store my car won’t start. If I get any other kind of ice cream, the car starts just fine. I want you to know I’m serious about this question, no matter how silly it sounds “What is there about a Pontiac that makes it not start when I get vanilla ice cream, and easy to start whenever I get any other kind?” The Pontiac President was understandably skeptical about the letter, but sent an Engineer to check it out anyway.

The latter was surprised to be greeted by a successful, obviously well educated man in a fine neighborhood. He had arranged to meet the man just after dinner time, so the two hopped into the car and drove to the ice cream store. It was vanilla ice cream that night and, sure enough, after they came back to the car, it wouldn’t start.

The Engineer returned for three more nights. The first night, they got chocolate. The car started. The second night, he got strawberry. The car started. The third night he ordered vanilla. The car failed to start.

Now the engineer, being a logical man, refused to believe that this man’s car was allergic to vanilla ice cream. He arranged, therefore, to continue his visits for as long as it took to solve the problem. And toward this end he began to take notes: He jotted down all sorts of data: time of day, type of gas uses, time to drive back and forth etc.

In a short time, he had a clue: the man took less time to buy vanilla than any other flavor. Why? The answer was in the layout of the store. Vanilla, being the most popular flavor, was in a separate case at the front of the store for quick pickup. All the other flavors were kept in the back of the store at a different counter where it took considerably longer to check out the flavor.

Now, the question for the Engineer was why the car wouldn’t start when it took less time. Eureka – Time was now the problem – not the vanilla ice cream!!!! The engineer quickly came up with the answer: “vapor lock”.

It was happening every night; but the extra time taken to get the other flavors allowed the engine to cool down sufficiently to start. When the man got vanilla, the engine was still too hot for the vapor lock to dissipate!!!

Source from where I copied the above article
zenren is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2014, 15:02   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
This can happen due to bad fuel. Just a guess ...
I don't doubt fuel here. I have been consistently filling petrol from one pump only - BP company owned petrol pump at RTO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
If you have an obd scanner, see if there are any fault codes shown.

Also first try disconnecting the battery for 15min, which would reset the ecu.
Let me get this done during next service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post

The i10 Automatic needs to be be driven in a certain way to get it to respond as you need it to. That 4 speed automatic transmission is the culprit. I don't think there's anything wrong with the car, it's just that you perhaps aren't fully attuned to the way it behaves.
I agree with you. However, I think in last 4 years I have got accustomed to the way i10 behaves. Maybe it is my mood which is getting imposed on i10 and I am expecting more from it. I hardly push it hard so as to extract maximum mileage. I have been getting consistently 10.5 to 11kmpl even with such low running in Pune city.
Old 17th October 2014, 15:07   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think in last 4 years I have got accustomed to the way i10 behaves. Maybe it is my mood which is getting imposed on i10 and I am expecting more from it. I hardly push it hard so as to extract maximum mileage. I have been getting consistently 10.5 to 11kmpl even with such low running in Pune city.
I barely ever drive my i20 automatic, maybe twice a month or thrice if that. But everytime I get in, I swear I have to reacquaint myself with its dynamics and input needed, even though I know how good/bad/ugly it is. That's what ran through my mind when I mentioned a lack of familiarity, because your experience was a little bit close to home. Don't sweat it, you're getting very decent mileage too so its nothing for you to worry about.
iliketurtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2014, 15:13   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Is my car moody?
My thoughts.

It has nothing to do with the car. Its just your feeling. Happens to all of us.

More like an illusion of sorts. If you were to measure the timings, I'm pretty sure it'll give consistent results.

Of course barring any problems.

Absolutely no offense meant to you mate. Just another perspective.
rangakishen is offline   Reply With Quote