Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 20th January 2014, 12:13   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Rear defogger not working

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman689 View Post
A single strip of my rear defogger seems to have failed. I have the materials required for soldering. But what is this 'conductive paint' and how do I procure it?
I dont think its advisable to try soldering on a glass. The enormous heat applied on a small area may crack the glass. But are you aware of where exactly the continuity is lost?
audioholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2014, 15:44   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman689 View Post
A single strip of my rear defogger seems to have failed. I have the materials required for soldering. But what is this 'conductive paint' and how do I procure it?
I repaired something similar with my Peugeot 205 in the UK in 1989. Getting conductive paint was no sweat since as Physicists it was a very common item around the lab. First I used Isopropanol (normal rubbing alcohol, also sold for injections) to clean the area. Then I put two strips of cellophane tape outlining the strip to be patched. Now I painted over three times with thin layers of silver paint, allowing it to dry between applications. Once fully dry I carefully peeled off the cellophane tape and got a very clean fix. Impossible with a brush wielded freehand.

Conductive paint is available in India as well.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2014, 23:28   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
I dont think its advisable to try soldering on a glass. The enormous heat applied on a small area may crack the glass. But are you aware of where exactly the continuity is lost?
Yes I am cautious of this fact and hence want to know about this conductive paint before I try anything. I have a multimeter, so finding the gap in conductive strip shouldn't be a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I repaired something similar with my Peugeot 205 in the UK in 1989. Getting conductive paint was no sweat since as Physicists it was a very common item around the lab. First I used Isopropanol (normal rubbing alcohol, also sold for injections) to clean the area. Then I put two strips of cellophane tape outlining the strip to be patched. Now I painted over three times with thin layers of silver paint, allowing it to dry between applications. Once fully dry I carefully peeled off the cellophane tape and got a very clean fix. Impossible with a brush wielded freehand.

Conductive paint is available in India as well.
Wow. It seemed from here that the conductive paint itself was sufficient to do the fix and no heat was required whatsoever. Given the options, I will definitely try to avoid using heat on a glass. Thank you so much for sharing this Sir.
Sandman689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2014, 16:34   #49
BHPian

is you use paint (& thin brush) the chances are still there of uneven coat and effect the conductivity (/resistance). better use a pen, copper 'ink' based.

http://www.chemtronics.com/c-275-cir...-and-inks.aspx

and this is really interesting ! : http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...uits-instantly
pcpranav is online now   Reply With Quote