Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2014, 17:19   #1
BHPian
 
stable rock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 178
Thanked: 30 Times
Default Hyundai Elantra: EGR Error code 402 (Excessive Air Flow)

Hi Firends,

The check engine light in my car is glowing and when scanned got an error code 0402 (Excessive air flow in EGR). Other symptons are black smoke when at sudden acceleration/ high RPM. Pick up is also less. The A.S.S asked me to change the EGR without even checking the EGR unit. What will be the cause for this. Please suggest a good mechanic or workshop in Bangalore to rectify this.

Vehicle Details -2005 Hyundai Elantra CRDI.
Odo Reading - 2,17,000 kms.

Regards,
SR
stable rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2014, 17:34   #2
Team-BHP Support
 
Zappo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 5,650
Thanked: 2,010 Times
Default re: Hyundai Elantra: EGR Error code 402 (Excessive Air Flow)

Has the ASS checked the Differential Pressure Sensor? If not please ask them to check the voltage on the sensor both at idle and when the EGR is open. In my opinion, the sensor has a bigger chance of failure than the EGR valve itself.
Zappo is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2014, 21:45   #3
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Delhi
Posts: 3,061
Thanked: 6,199 Times
Default re: Hyundai Elantra: EGR Error code 402 (Excessive Air Flow)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
Has the ASS checked the Differential Pressure Sensor? If not please ask them to check the voltage on the sensor both at idle and when the EGR is open. In my opinion, the sensor has a bigger chance of failure than the EGR valve itself.

I would agree a few more checks need to be done, before starting to swap parts. Easy enough just google Hyundai Elantra error code 402

Here is the result:

http://repairpal.com/OBD-II-Code-P0402

Note that this site also lists the "common misdiagnoses" one of which is the EGR valve!!!

Jeroen

Last edited by Jeroen : 21st October 2014 at 21:49.
Jeroen is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2014, 23:39   #4
BHPian
 
rocky080's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 303
Thanked: 35 Times
Default re: Hyundai Elantra: EGR Error code 402 (Excessive Air Flow)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stable rock View Post
Hi Firends,

The check engine light in my car is glowing and when scanned got an error code 0402 (Excessive air flow in EGR). Other symptons are black smoke when at sudden acceleration/ high RPM. Pick up is also less. The A.S.S asked me to change the EGR without even checking the EGR unit. What will be the cause for this. Please suggest a good mechanic or workshop in Bangalore to rectify this.

Vehicle Details -2005 Hyundai Elantra CRDI.
Odo Reading - 2,17,000 kms.

Regards,
SR

Are you running any performance mods like K&N/green cotton filter or tuning boxes? and does your engine RPM get stuck at a particular RPM while accelerating.
rocky080 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2014, 09:01   #5
BHPian
 
stable rock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 178
Thanked: 30 Times
Default re: Hyundai Elantra: EGR Error code 402 (Excessive Air Flow)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky080 View Post
Are you running any performance mods like K&N/green cotton filter or tuning boxes? and does your engine RPM get stuck at a particular RPM while accelerating.
Hi Rocky,

I have not done any modifications. Car is in stock condition. RPM is not getting stuck too. Only excessive black smoke during acceleration.

@Zappo - Is Differential Pressure Sensor same as Mass Air Flow Sensor.

Please suggest a good mechanic or workshop in Bangalore to check this.

Regards,
SR
stable rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2014, 11:43   #6
BHPian
 
rangakishen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Gothenburg
Posts: 200
Thanked: 87 Times
Default re: Hyundai Elantra: EGR Error code 402 (Excessive Air Flow)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stable rock View Post
Please suggest a good mechanic or workshop in Bangalore to check this.
I would suggest going to any Bosch Service center close to your area. In my experience they are quite straight forward and well versed with cars from many manufacturers.
rangakishen is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2014, 14:08   #7
BHPian
 
rocky080's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 303
Thanked: 35 Times
Default re: Hyundai Elantra: EGR Error code 402 (Excessive Air Flow)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stable rock View Post
Hi Rocky,

I have not done any modifications. Car is in stock condition. RPM is not getting stuck too. Only excessive black smoke during acceleration.

@Zappo - Is Differential Pressure Sensor same as Mass Air Flow Sensor.

Please suggest a good mechanic or workshop in Bangalore to check this.

Regards,
SR
Hi Stable rock

I asked the same cause I had the same error code issue on my elantra when my MAF sensor and performance filter were chocked. But the only difference was that my engine RPM used to get locked at a particular RPM while revving. This issue got sorted out after cleaning the MAF sensor. There are multiple reasons for black smoke and lack of pick up, my suggestion would be to:

1.Change the air filter and get the egr valve along with MAF sensor cleaned at the A.S.S(Please supervise the work being done)
2. While at it check if there is excessive oil in the pipe that connects beyond the MAF sensor.
3. Get your Intercooler plumbing checked for cracks or leaks in all the joints.
4. Check if there is excess oil in the inter cooler.

Please report you findings after this, if the A.S.S refuse to check this and maintain the egr valve has to be changed, then take a writing from them that they will refund the amount if issue fails to get fixed before replacing the part.

Last edited by rocky080 : 22nd October 2014 at 14:14.
rocky080 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
EGR system - What's it purpose & when does the EGR valve open/close? rranjith_kum Technical Stuff 60 14th August 2017 20:15
Pioneer Head Unit Errors. Error 11 and error 17 in pioneer MP3 rajivanoj In-Car Entertainment 32 10th December 2013 17:07
Pune : 402 road deaths this year and counting sajo Street Experiences 12 16th December 2010 17:47
effect of grinding EGR valve in diesels reachbennym Technical Stuff 1 23rd December 2008 09:05
Elantra GT vs Elantra Crdi(Was skoda vs elantra) azifali Sedans 39 17th August 2006 12:56


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 23:26.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks