Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 25th October 2014, 19:57   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default re: AMT Failure in my Maruti Celerio! EDIT: Issue resolved

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
The main issue with an AMT or a DSG in India is the shift actuator and the clutch actuator will be under a heavy workload since our traffic demands a lot of gearshifts as well as clutch use in heavy traffic.
I don't quite buy the workload theory. These cars are way too new (300 and 650km respectively) to undergo any serious workload, even DSG7 and DSG6 failures weren't this premature.

Moreover Celerio is volume car doing 6K odd each month for more than 6 months, and its surprising we've seen just 2 failures points more to an one off failure. Though long term reliability still remains to be seen in the years to come
narayans80 is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2014, 20:16   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
I don't quite buy the workload theory. These cars are way too new (300 and 650km respectively) to undergo any serious workload, even DSG7 and DSG6 failures weren't this premature.

Not specific to the new cases. As I told this better be a one off case than an issue which may crop up in the later stages too.
audioholic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2014, 22:35   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Moreover Celerio is volume car doing 6K odd each month for more than 6 months, and its surprising we've seen just 2 failures points more to an one off failure. Though long term reliability still remains to be seen in the years to come
I don't think all 6k will be AMTs. Only the AMTs should be considered when we try a statistical analysis about % failures.

So far, what worries me more than these failures is the response that @sandeep_vgl got from MASS - Sir, we are not sure if out technician is experienced to service celerios with AMT's - when he was left with a non usable car. Not very confidence inspiring is it?
Reinhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2014, 23:13   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
The main issue with an AMT or a DSG in India isthe shift actuator and the clutch actuator will be under a heavy workload....

Hope the issue wont become a common issue, since there are quite a lot of AMT celerios and if its a defect, that will be a bad thing for Maruti.
Let me disagree with you on point one. Both the examples we see here are with below 1000 kms in the clock. OTOH it could be a manufacturing defect or may be both these cars belong to the same batch or roll out?

Totally agree with point two. Not only for Maruti, but for any manufacturer who is planning to launch such variants. The typical Indian psyche is, once people reject something it will remain that way for (almost) forever. Station wagons, geared scooters, stock-linked insurance plans, Rasna... examples are endless.

Maybe it is a bit overkill but IMHO, time to kiss goodbye to all automatic dreams south side of 10L
sandeepmdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2014, 10:06   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep_vgl View Post
AMT failure in my new Celerio!!!
The car has run just 650 kms with first service done last month.

The Transaxle system failure warning light stays on and the vehicle refuses to slot into gear.

23rd October Update:
Sandeep, any more updates on the case? Since AMT seems to be the 'in-thing' right now, am sure lot of people are following this with keen interest (incl. me). Please do share whenever you have more info on the problem and it's causes.
Dry Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2014, 11:03   #21
BHPian

I hope we get news on the issue soon. This could be an important data point for some of us considering the Celerio AMT or the soon to be expected other models with AMT.
latentpotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2014, 11:14   #22
Senior - BHPian

Must be one off case. Remember the Swift Diesel Turbo failure thread or Busa's Synchronizer ring failure thread ( mine had failed too ). Just one off cases I am sure
humyum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2014, 11:16   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post
Maybe it is a bit overkill but IMHO, time to kiss goodbye to all automatic dreams south side of 10L
The Brio and Amaze automatics are doing pretty well.
When I was with a Honda dealership there was a good demand for them.
And that 5-speed AT is smooth for everyday use.
My colleague was able to extract upto 16kmpl from Amaze VX-AT while I could manage upto 10 kmpl (blame the heavy foot).
So don't kiss them goodbye yet.
RavSam is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2014, 13:04   #24
Senior - BHPian

The way Maruti will handle these cases needs to be closely looked at.
1. It will set the course of success/failure of snazzy equipment in the volume market
2. It will show how much Maruti will live up to it's brand reputation of being customer friendly/oriented
3. It may also show how other manufacturers should behave (presuming that Maruti does indeed work pro-actively)
alpha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2014, 13:33   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavSam View Post
The Brio and Amaze automatics are doing pretty well.
When I was with a Honda dealership there was a good demand for them.
And that 5-speed AT is smooth for everyday use.
My colleague was able to extract upto 16kmpl from Amaze VX-AT while I could manage upto 10 kmpl (blame the heavy foot).
So don't kiss them goodbye yet.
That is because Honda uses traditional Torque Converter (TC) type AT, the most traditional type and by far the best, in my opnion. I have not owned but have driven DSGs, CVTs and AMT (only Celerio) and have found TC to be best. They say it saps power and guzzles fuel. But even that I found to be untrue. As for AMT, let us not forget that even Lamborghini uses an advanced version of AMT. I'm sure it is a one-off case and let us not jump to conclusion.
pgsagar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2014, 13:46   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
That is because Honda uses....conclusion.
Yes, you are very correct. I know it's traditional torque converter and relatively more reliable compared to other ATs. I would also like to see advanced CVT (the one in New Honda City) with Torque Converter which, believe me, gives brilliant mileage. The Brio in Thailand comes with CVT and I guess; even that would be pretty good.

And I have hopes on AMT because of it's cost effectiveness. Let us also wait for long term report of Zest's AMT with Diesel combo.
RavSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2014, 14:29   #27
BHPian

Here's the update guys :

I got my car yesterday by noon after rectifying the issue. Went out for a test drive with service technician and everything looks fine. The issue stands resolved as of now.

But there are two versions of the story for the reason behind the issue. One is by the technical engineer and the other by the service advisor.

The TE says the issues was caused by a loose coupler cover which made way for the water entering the coupler and creating an electrical short. They cleaned the coupler and the points and refitted the cover properly which resolved the issue.

The SA had a different version though. He said the issue was caused because of some one not used to an automatic car. They usually drive with right leg on the accelerator and the left leg on the brake pedal. The mentioned issue was caused because of the driver applying both at the same time and driving. The car is "brilliant" enough to sense this and automatically cut off "something" which prevents the AMT from working. ECU was reset to fix the issue. DONE!!!

I believe there should be more hidden features like this in celerio. It could even sense Drunken driving, over speeding, dizziness and disengage AMT gear boxes to prevent the person from driving further .

Before leaving i ask the SA to provide me with details of the diagnosis result or the error shown. He went inside to ask some one and came back and told me that the error read as " AMT selector failure - History".

I am not sure whether any parts were replaced to fix this issue or whether they are pushing it as a minor issue specific to this car and not a manufacturing defect. I still could not believe both versions of the story!!!
sandeep_vgl is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2014, 14:42   #28
BHPian

Quote:
AMT failure in my new Celerio!!!
The car has run just 650 kms with first service done last month.

The Transaxle system failure warning light stays on and the vehicle refuses to slot into gear.

23rd October Update:
This is shocking considering it's Maruti. As you said when technicians visited your place, they had a private chat. And later in the evening that technician called you up to check whether it's working.
I sense he knew that the fix he had deployed was going to fail or was very likely to fail. They must be knowing this issue and before taking the car to service center, they tried to fix it temporarily which didn't work.

Quote:
Here's the update guys :

The SA had a different version though. He said the issue was caused because of some one not used to an automatic car. They usually drive with right leg on the accelerator and the left leg on the brake pedal. The mentioned issue was caused because of the driver applying both at the same time and driving. The car is "brilliant" enough to sense this and automatically cut off "something" which prevents the AMT from working. ECU was reset to fix the issue. DONE!!!
This is BS.
StepUP! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2014, 15:39   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Here's the update guys :

I believe there should be more hidden features like this in celerio. It could even sense Drunken driving, over speeding, dizziness and disengage AMT gear boxes to prevent the person from driving further .

I am not sure whether any parts were replaced to fix this issue or whether they are pushing it as a minor issue specific to this car and not a manufacturing defect. I still could not believe both versions of the story!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by StepUP! View Post

This is BS.
Well, Hyundai does advertise their 'Smart pedal system' where if the accel and brake are pressed together, the system senses it and ensures that the brake overrides the accel. This is touted as a safety feature of the new i20.

So it is possible for the car to sense both pressed and cut off 'something' . But I sincerely doubt if the Celerio will have this feature. Am sure Maruti would have heavily advertised it, if it were the case.
Rajeevraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2014, 16:23   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

I'd tend to believe technicians explanation.
Most SA's spout jargon to show off in front of customers as is evident from many comments in various car buying experience.threads.
In any case if what SA is saying is correct do it again and see if problem reccurs ! Simple.

Do give us feedback over next few weeks if there is any recurrence of this issue. If issue does not manifest again then treat this one off case.
I am surprised at very presumptive naysayers opinions expressed without understanding or waiting for problem resolution.
sudev is offline   Reply With Quote