Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 18th May 2008, 21:04   #136
Senior - BHPian

LPG is not adviseable today since the price-to-headache ratio has gone beyond a tolerable level.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2008, 14:29   #137
BHPian

Hi Harsha,

Thanks for the info...
I had already tried this BRC guy 'Sultan' from ROHAN AUTO near Lal Bagh in Bangalore and he did some tuning for free. after that mileage increased to almost 9 in the city and 13.5 in the highways without AC ON. Sacrificed a little bit on Power. Then later i myself increased the gas flow a little bit more and still iam getting 8-9 in the city and 13+ in the highway with more power.

Iam happy now with the mileage and thanks

Raj

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsha.cs1 View Post
Hi Raj,
Ero tech in Ulsoor do a pretty good job of lpg tuning. i could put you through to them if you require. i have an lpg kit in my accent and it does a pretty neat job.
Cheers,
Harsha
raj_7703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2008, 14:35   #138
BHPian

Arpit,

Even i had the same problem around a week ago with my BRC kit. When the gas tank got empty i had to run in petrol mode and next day morning the engine refused to start. Next day i took one mechanic and he started the car without any issues at all.
Could you rectify the problem?

mine is a Corsa sedan 2002 model with BRC gas

Raj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpit View Post
Hey Friends, my Cielo is fitted with a SKN LPG kit for past three years and so far there havent been any LPG related problems, Pickup and Refinement are even better than what they were when i was running Petrol, However its not the same story with Petrol, due to less running on petrol the Petrol in the Tank goes bad and becomes unusable and whenever i drove the car on petrol for long the Car wont start the next Morning or even after two hours for that matter. I am pretty stuckup with this problem, the car works fine if i dont run the car on Petrol and use the Petrol only for starting the car. Does anyone have a solution for this problem?
Old 19th May 2008, 17:29   #139
BHPian

Default Same problem

Raj,

i am facing exactly the same problem, when the car doesn't start and you crank it for a while and leave it for few hours then again if you try after 2-3hours the car starts immediately.
Arpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2008, 18:59   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
Coolant loss was due to a hose leak, got it fixed promptly. Closed loop doesnt seem to be working even after repeated tries. I have abandoned it. I lost my money.

Hi Ajo..

Hope you remember me. Mine is a closed loop BRC kit in my santro. Mahaveer did the job. The problem is there is too much of difference in mileage between LPG and petrol and no difference between city and highways in LPG.

Petrol:
Highways 17-18 kpl with AC
City 11-12 kpl with AC

LPG
Highways 10 kpl with AC
City 9-10 kpl with AC

What could be the problem? And had your mileage increased after you stopped using closed loop? If yes, how much difference?
Harshavarthan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2008, 02:07   #141
BHPian

All About Lambda Sensors
Old 26th May 2008, 10:43   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harshavarthan View Post
All About Lambda Sensors
hi, did you intend attaching a link?
is it this one?:
Lambda sensors / exhaust oxygen sensors
harsha.cs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2008, 11:02   #143
Senior - BHPian

any body having idea of what is the cost involved in changing to toroidal tank from cylindrical one? i am having 60kg cylindrical one but want to change over to toroidal 30kg as i need more boot space. i suppose the tank and multi valve will have to be done together and RTO will have to be informed.
gigy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2008, 12:47   #144
Senior - BHPian

The toroidal costs more than the 60L cylindrical. I was quoted 9k plus without considering the cost of the old tank. This was about 8 months back.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2008, 13:41   #145
Senior - BHPian

I have been using Lavoto LPG kit in My WagonR 2005 Model for past 1.5 Years.
I got only 7.5kmpl with AC in City and 12 KMPL with AC in Highway.
I did lot of tunning and changing the Engine Oil,Spark Plug and Air Filter.
Still i am not able to get a Good FE.
Now the LPG is rised to 35Rs/lt.so it's more or less equal to petrol
It's a very bad idea to convert to LPG now.Just buy Diesel vehicle.
That will serve the purpose for you in Economical wise though the initial cost is little higher.
aks_karthik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2008, 15:42   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsha.cs1 View Post
hi, did you intend attaching a link?
is it this one?:
Lambda sensors / exhaust oxygen sensors

Yes Harsha. Its the same one.
Old 26th May 2008, 18:22   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harshavarthan View Post
Yes Harsha. Its the same one.
thanks Harshavarthan. That is a very useful link you have picked out! by the way, i guess i will have to get my lamda sensor checked. do read the post by me about it down the thread!
harsha.cs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2008, 17:14   #148
BHPian

Default Issue arised again

Arpit, Did you find the solution to the problem.

My car refused to start again yesterday after driving almost 50 kms with petrol. Morning i parked in the office without any issues and evening when i was leaving, it does not start. i spend almost 20 mnts trying to start it (push start) and finally it got life, when i started it in first gear. another 2-3 mnts of acceleration made the engine picked up some power. Next day, it totally gave up and had to catch autorikshaw to goto office. But in the same afternoon, when i asked the mechanic to check it at my place, he could start the car immediately without any issues. Since i was not there, could not ask the mechanic to check what was the issue.

When i contacted the dealer, the mechanic there doubted its a problem of cold start. anyways not confirmed yet.

Raj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpit View Post
Raj,

i am facing exactly the same problem, when the car doesn't start and you crank it for a while and leave it for few hours then again if you try after 2-3hours the car starts immediately.
Old 23rd July 2008, 10:15   #149
BHPian

Hey Raj,
Just check your fuel pump and fuel filter if the filter is clogged. i had the same problem. Also check if the fuel is flowing properly.
rakowli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2008, 12:21   #150
BHPian

Default What is the reason behind this issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakowli View Post
Hey Raj,
Just check your fuel pump and fuel filter if the filter is clogged. i had the same problem. Also check if the fuel is flowing properly.
Last saturday i took it to Auto1 service people near Dairy Circle, Bangalore. I could start the car without any issues and i also felt loss of power when i switched it to gas. Anyways after 2-3 kms, car stopped and then i had to run again on petrol for the next 3 kms until i reach the service centre.

In less than a minute, a service personnal attended the car and when i explained the problem to him, he was more than happy to take it for a test drive and he switched it to gas with AC On and tested different possibilities and all worked fine. After words he took the Spark plugs out and cleaned it. I could see there was minor deposits on the sparks and once cleaned it shined a bit as well. They also checked for wirings and connected everything properly and stuff like that. 15-20 mnts they cleaned here and there and i cold spot some leakage near the battery (near the AC gas valve) and looks like now the AC does not have any cooling. Gas is empty they said. I filled it only two weeks ago. Suspects a leak in the AC gas.

Back to the issue, after all the cleaning, i could start the car quickly and i got back the power in the LPG as well and it is very smooth now and i ran almost 100 kms afterwards in LPG and no problem so far. I don;t know whether this issue will return when i run in petrol next time. Auto1 people charged me nothing for all the cleaning.

What could have been the reason behind this? any idea?

Raj