Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 27th July 2008, 00:24   #151
BHPian

Head ache of using my LPG kit has gone beyond tolerable limits and i have to keep adjusting the RPM every week. Is it possible to disconnect the entire system and use it without any add on's which i did while fitting my LPG kit ? Mine is a closed loop BRC kit. Experts please advise.
Harshavarthan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2008, 11:52   #152
Senior - BHPian

When i changed over to closed loop, the installers just fixed the controller and took the car for a run asking me how i normally drive and gave it to me. while installing they had improperly connected the stepper motor connection and struggled with the car wiring before finally it was found. in the process they cut all the three wires of TPS and the lambda sensor. Luckily I kept the instruction paper they threw away when the install was going on. i was having lpg blasting problems (back fire)occasionally when slowing down fast and this was spoiling the engine which already has some unsolved vibration issues.
so one fine day i went through that paper and found there is a definite procedure to be followed after installing closed loop controller. the controller has to learn the TPS input and the Lamda input before it can regulate accordingly. it must be a virgin unit.
i took two days to figure out the procedure and now the lpg regulation seems to have become much better. i have even taken parallel connection of the three LEDs inside the module to dash to know how it works. usually the stepper motor is able to get to the optimum range within 2 seconds. this is a zavoli kit and if any one requires will post the procedure.
gigy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2008, 18:49   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Finding a good installer is more important than the brand name. Where do you stay ?

@nicejits... i have no idea about bombay.

I stay in Triplicane Chennai
sparkglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2008, 10:36   #154
BHPian

Hi ! I have a late 2004 Chevorlet Optra 1.6 done 40000kms which has been recently converted to LPG with a Italian Lo-gas kit. the car is running OK but when fitting the kit a plastic air restrictor has been inserted between the air filter and the LPG mixer at the throttle body this obviously causes vacum which pulls the gas from the vaporiser.

My question is that is it a regular fitment for LPG conversion kits ( MPFI ) as this causes severe restriction of air flow which should result in lower bhp output from the engine ? the drivability of the car is good and I was easily able to achieve speeds upto 140Kph on the highway. Can anybody please help
ask77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2008, 12:31   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ask77 View Post
Hi ! I have a late 2004 Chevorlet Optra 1.6 done 40000kms which has been recently converted to LPG with a Italian Lo-gas kit. the car is running OK but when fitting the kit a plastic air restrictor has been inserted between the air filter and the LPG mixer at the throttle body this obviously causes vacum which pulls the gas from the vaporiser.

My question is that is it a regular fitment for LPG conversion kits ( MPFI ) as this causes severe restriction of air flow which should result in lower bhp output from the engine ? the drivability of the car is good and I was easily able to achieve speeds upto 140Kph on the highway. Can anybody please help

AFAIK Sequential kits are best for MPFI engines, and for such a car surely it should be sequential. Mixers, and other devices at throttle body, and air filter, reduces the air intake, even when car is running on petrol.

People here spend lots to get rich Air Fuel mixture.

Sequential kits, dont have any mixers, they have gas injectors, which flows gas into intake manifold directly. Help in FE, and better Air Fuel Mixture than with mixer.

My experience has been great with LPG, I got better low end with Zavoli Sequential Kit. But having sold my previous car, I took back my kit from it. I regret to put it in garage, I am skeptical to fix it back in my new car. I just drive 15 KMS a day to my office, so dont think its feseble to do. So planing to sell it off.
naveen.kk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2008, 18:19   #156
BHPian

are sequential kits specific for a particular model or can be fitted to any ? also do they use the same tank, multivalve and vaporizer as the mixer kits ? that is if one has a previous mpfi kit then can one just add the sequential injectors instead of the mixers to save money on the kit. Also what is the price of the kit and what happens to the inlet manifold if you remove the kit say when selling the car is it reusable or do you have to replace ? kindly advice
ask77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2009, 15:22   #157
Team-BHP Support

I drive about 900 ~ 1000 kms in my (2004) Wagon R.

Should I consider a LPG conversion?

Question nagging me since I saw the price at under 28 for LPG in Hyderabad.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2009, 14:58   #158
BHPian

I have a Wagon R Duo which has completed around 32500 Kms.

Last week i experienced smell of lpg, loss of power, less mileage and engine getting turned off when the car is idled or running slowly on LPG. Took it to Sarathy cars, Kollam and the service advisors told that the Vaporizer kit have to be changed which will cost around Rs 3000.00. According to them this should have been changed at 20000KM service but Maturi recommends it to change only on 40000KMs on manual. They said apart from the LPG manual, they had received circular from maruti , asking them to change Vapourizer kit in every 20000KMs

Any TBHPns have any info about this .
ontheroad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2009, 10:37   #159
BHPian

[quote=ontheroad;1349073]I have a Wagon R Duo which has completed around 32500 Kms.

The diaphragm of the vaporizer kit should be changed every 20 k or so IMO. Dont need to change the vaporizer itself. Shouldnt cost more than 1500 INR. Also get the throttle body & ISA serviced, plugs changed and plug wire checked. It'll dramatically restore the performance. also a new air filter.

Last edited by HIGHNOON : 4th July 2009 at 10:53.
HIGHNOON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2009, 10:52   #160
BHPian

When u are at it please have ur coil checked as well. running on lpg requires ur electricals in top shape. spark has to be perfect. Adjust the gaps for LPG. Dont use defualt gap.
LPG needs stronger current so the gap has to b e lower than on petrol. Thats the reason, an LPG fitted car never performs optimally on both fuels. If the gap is more ( for petrol ) it'll run well on petrol but may misfire on LPG.
aND IF THE GAP IS SET FOR LPG , it may not run as freeely / smoothly on petrol , would not give the same FE as it would have as a petrol only car.
Though they claim the car is tuned for both the fuels , IMHO thats just an eyewash.
SAD BUT TRUE ....
Old 4th July 2009, 10:56   #161
BHPian

@ ontheroad,
First thing you should check is that the vaporizar kit's diaphragm, also check if there is any leakage in the tube. Get the factory fitted kit properly serviced @ authorized service station & last thing to check is to check if air filter is logged. If it is clogged, get it replaced with a genuine one.
dhrishikesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2009, 18:27   #162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.kk View Post
AFAIK Sequential kits are best for MPFI engines, and for such a car surely it should be sequential. Mixers, and other devices at throttle body, and air filter, reduces the air intake, even when car is running on petrol.

Sequential kits, dont have any mixers, they have gas injectors, which flows gas into intake manifold directly. Help in FE, and better Air Fuel Mixture than with mixer.

My experience has been great with LPG, I got better low end with Zavoli Sequential Kit. But having sold my previous car, I took back my kit from it. I regret to put it in garage, I am skeptical to fix it back in my new car. I just drive 15 KMS a day to my office, so dont think its feseble to do. So planing to sell it off.
Did you install a new head cover or fuel rail after pulling out the sequential kit? where were the lpg injectors installed?
gigy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2009, 20:32   #163
BHPian

[quote=[B]naveen.kk[/b];

Isnt that the paradox here? Most of us think of converting the car to gas to save money. then we end up spending a lot more money just ' trying' to keep the car running as well as it was on petrol ..
I plead guilty as charged ...
The S A D thing is that when the performance is not as per our expectation or if we face too many niggles on LPG , some of us sell the car before even recovering the kit cost.
Old 7th July 2009, 21:59   #164
BHPian

I think i was looking for a thread on longevity of an engine running on LPG. This is what i found.... Interesting. warns you of dangers the retrofitters or the car conversion sites dont warn us about.
When longevity is of vital importance for the retrofiiting to recover all the good money on the maintenance and fitting. the saving starts only after the kit cost is recovered. And for most it would be about 2 years here and there...
If a 3/4 yr. old car is retrofitted and 2 yrs to negate the upfront cost. :( then the kit / engine ought to be good enough for another 3 good years for it to be remotely viable..

check this out ...
Go LPG Research - VSR
Old 14th July 2009, 11:36   #165
BHPian

Gigy,

do you still have the kit with you? If you are planning to sell it off...what price are you expecting for it and how old is the kit.

Regards,

Rahul K
rahulya007 is offline   Reply With Quote