Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 3rd July 2007, 19:17   #91
Senior - BHPian

Will removing my CAT make any difference on my LPG running pickup? When running on Petrol, what changes will it make apart from slightly increased emmissions? Will my FE reduce?
mail4ajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2007, 21:14   #92
BHPian

Removing your Cat con will lead to two important things :

1) You might begin getting Amazing performance, Since you made it almost Free Flow system with reduced hindrance comparitively.

2) You will be causing more Enviormental Damage, and pretty much if you do get challaned-You may face heavy Penalties.

Why don't you try with cooler Air Intake , Better Spark Plugs, Or something less damaging.

About the Sparkplugs- I had to get mine changed a few days back too( 15000 KM on CNG), Apparently Bosch Super could no longer spark my XETA with CNG- So I din't have much time to scout for Iridium so I got Denso U groove Copper- They are working good- Denso is OEM for Maruti if I'm not wrong.

I will post Picture of my Old plugs tommorow.
wolfinstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2007, 22:53   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfinstein View Post
1) You might begin getting Amazing performance, Since you made it almost Free Flow system with reduced hindrance comparitively.
Will I lose FE by doing this?

Quote:
2) You will be causing more Enviormental Damage, and pretty much if you do get challaned-You may face heavy Penalties.
My car is BSIII. I thought that even without the CAT, it will pass the emmission norms currently in force. Can someone confirm?

Quote:
Why don't you try with cooler Air Intake , Better Spark Plugs, Or something less damaging.
How do I achieve a cooler intake? After reading many reviews, dont think K&N is value for money.
What spark plugs can I look at. Currently using the OE plugs, think they are Champion. Are there any LPG application specific plug?
Old 4th July 2007, 11:18   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My car is BSIII. I thought that even without the CAT, it will pass the emmission norms currently in force. Can someone confirm?
99% of the time,no cop harasses a petrol car owner for pollution certificate.
Second,u're forgetting the point that emission from LPG is very very less compared to petrol.
I'd suggest remove the cat-con and keep it with U.Check ur FE, performance and also get the pollution checked in the petrol bunk test centre for 50 bucks.
If u're not getting the desired results, weld it back on.
About the spark plugs, get a regular set since u'll be needing new ones pretty often.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2007, 21:35   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
I'd suggest remove the cat-con and keep it with U.Check ur FE, performance and also get the pollution checked in the petrol bunk test centre for 50 bucks.
If u're not getting the desired results, weld it back on.
Good idea. Will try this. Is the CAT welded or bolt on? Havent checked yet.

I will stick to the OE spec plugs for now and replace every 8-10K kms. Cost only 180Rs a set of three.
Old 9th July 2007, 19:49   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
If your tank capacity is 47 liters, the max LPG you can fill up is only 40 liters because the 7 liters in there is not usable because of low pressure. So you actually got ripped off for 15 liters. We fill up only at Reliance pumps in Bangalore.
Hey Mpower..where is the reliance bunks selling LPG @ bangalore..and how much??

Thanks in advance.
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2007, 19:54   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
A quick question to all current LPG users. What is the best method to check your fuel efficiency on LPG? Can we use the conventional method - 1. Fill tank, run 50-60kms and fill again and divide kms run by fuel filled now
OR
2. The full to empty tank method?

I tried the first method and I got a F.E figure of 6kms/litre on my ALTO!!!!!!!!!!!! Is something wrong??
The full 2 empty method is better as the full tank works on pressure and not volume..!!
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2007, 20:08   #98
Senior - BHPian

I have seen few reliance bunks with LPG in bangalore one I remember is near magadi and ring road junction and another ring road and tumkur road junction I guess.

Ravi.
ravibhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2007, 22:41   #99

Quote:

I will stick to the OE spec plugs for now and replace every 8-10K kms. Cost only 180Rs a set of three.
hi ajo,
i think you should go for ngk BKR6E spark plugs. this plugs used to come as oe in 2001 models of wagonr and alto. its price is 165 rs in original maruti pack. they are imported plugs and tagged SGP(suzuki genuine parts). in my wagonr i had used this company fitted plug for 62000 km on lpg and i faced no problem of any kind. its best plugs and i use it in bulk for my customer.
In new bs-3 alto CAT will be welded in older it used to be bolted
miraauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2007, 22:50   #100

Quote:

sorry ajo by mistake i wrote wrong part no for ngk plug for alto. it is DCPR7E for alto and not BKR6E.BKR6E IS FOR SWIFT ESTEEM BALENO SX4 ETC.Sorry.
miraauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2007, 01:26   #101
BHPian

Default BRC Kit . ..only this kit has this feature?

Dhanalaxmi car gas conversion chennai does for BRC and the tech person says the REDUCER & MULTIVALVE are imported and the rest are all indian. He says only in BRC there is a separate compartment sort of thing for GAS & WATER in the REDUCER(?) so that water won't enter into the engine, even in an unlikely "water leak"situation, whereas water can enter incase of Lovoto or Zavoli as there is no compartment for water & gas. With toroidal kit comes to 19000 w.o RTO. Is there any specific toroidal like econ? Have anyone done with Dhanalaxmi mainly for Santro?
Opinions on BRC open loop for Santro & psbl about this Dhanalaxmi are appreciated.TIA
shapath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2007, 08:54   #102
Senior - BHPian

Why don't you talk to another dealer about this water thing. never ever heard of this one so far.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2007, 10:25   #103
BHPian

The Toroidal or wheel well tank is not of 60 Ltr. its only 35 Ltr which can fill gas of 28 ltr..this tank now comes as a factory fitment for the Maruti WagonR Duo. Even others who would not mind going frequently to the pump for filling LPG can get this tank fitted at additional cost of 2-3K. Does save boot space in small cars and some amount of boot space in big cars too..only space wheel needs to be in the boot..
rahulya007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2007, 00:28   #104
BHPian

Default Which LPG Kit?

Hello People,

Greetings!

I drive a 2003 Palio 1.2, and the odometer reads 33K.
I am planning to install a LPG kit to counter the high
fuel bills. My current usage is about 1500 Kms per
month. Between the LONGAS, BRC and LOVATO, I would
like to know which is the best LPG Kit for the Palio
1.2 in terms of performance and fuel efficiency. And
can someone from Chennai direct me to a trusted and
reliabe conversion center in Chennai?

Many thanks,

Sparkglow
sparkglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2007, 08:39   #105
BHPian

Is the Maruti Wagon R LPG kit available as an extra, cause if it is, it could make things so easy, everyone owning a zen like myself could just go to the Maruti authorised center and ask them to fit the Wagon R kit on the car. If anyone has done some research on this, kindly share the same with all.
Lately I have been considering about switching to LPG as my Fuel bills are around 4k a month on Petrol.
musicmanaman is offline   Reply With Quote