Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 30th August 2007, 16:12   #106
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmanaman View Post
Is the Maruti Wagon R LPG kit available as an extra, cause if it is, it could make things so easy, everyone owning a zen like myself could just go to the Maruti authorised center and ask them to fit the Wagon R kit on the car. If anyone has done some research on this, kindly share the same with all.
Lately I have been considering about switching to LPG as my Fuel bills are around 4k a month on Petrol.
The same stock one is not available. But kits of the same quality(or better) are available in the open market
mithun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2007, 18:02   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmanaman View Post
Is the Maruti Wagon R LPG kit available as an extra
No, the OE kit which is a Minda Impco will not be available for retrofitment. Check the local market for approved retrofitment kits like Lovato, BRC, Zavoli etc
mail4ajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2007, 10:05   #108
BANNED

Sakpal, Aalap, Esteem lovers and other BHPians,

As you know i have been looking for LPG kitting fitting in my ZEN ( Vxi, MPFI engine Nov 2003 model), Info which I got after reading forum is that I will get 11/12km/kilo of LPG, I enquired for LPG cost and I got quotation of 21k ,23k

Plz give me contact number of reliable LPG kit fitters in Mumbai, it will be great if you ppl share your cell number with me I stays @ Borivali, Mumbai my number is 09820459630

Best Regards,
Jitendra
nicejits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2007, 10:39   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkglow View Post
Hello People,

Greetings!

I drive a 2003 Palio 1.2, and the odometer reads 33K.
I am planning to install a LPG kit to counter the high
fuel bills. My current usage is about 1500 Kms per
month. Between the LONGAS, BRC and LOVATO, I would
like to know which is the best LPG Kit for the Palio
1.2 in terms of performance and fuel efficiency. And
can someone from Chennai direct me to a trusted and
reliabe conversion center in Chennai?

Many thanks,

Sparkglow
Finding a good installer is more important than the brand name. Where do you stay ?

@nicejits... i have no idea about bombay.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2007, 08:24   #110
BHPian

Default LPG at chennai

i have been to these places & they give you good amount of information which will help to decide further.

DHANALAXMI near lyods road- 9840032053
think the peson name is MURALI..he is good in conveying the finer points of BRC

Vinayaga Autogas ANNANAGAR 9840118966
person name is SENTHIL . They deal Lovato.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkglow View Post
Hello People,

Greetings!

I drive a 2003 Palio 1.2, and the odometer reads 33K.
I am planning to install a LPG kit to counter the high
fuel bills. My current usage is about 1500 Kms per
month. Between the LONGAS, BRC and LOVATO, I would
like to know which is the best LPG Kit for the Palio
1.2 in terms of performance and fuel efficiency. And
can someone from Chennai direct me to a trusted and
reliabe conversion center in Chennai?

Many thanks,

Sparkglow
shapath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2007, 09:54   #111
Senior - BHPian

You can also try these places:
1. Sandeep, MAHAVEER Gas, BRC, Behind the mosque near the tarapore towers, Mount road.
2. Sakthi, Benz Gas,BRC near Jafferkhanpet.
Old 9th November 2007, 13:59   #112
Senior - BHPian

Default Coolant loss????

Recently I have been noticing that there is a engine coolant loss when I run on LPG. There was a small leak on the tube plug connecting the vapouriser from the engine. I got that changed.

Is this normal to loss coolant as the it is used to heat the vapouriser?
Old 16th November 2007, 16:25   #113

Default LPG GAS KIT in ALTO LXI

[COLOR=black]Hi Folks[/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]I have recently installed an LPG Kit in my new ALTO LXI -(Year of manufacturing- June 2007). I have asked the workshop people to put LOVATO but when I got the papers/documents, it says that the installed kit is that of MIJO. I raised this point and to my surprise they said they could give new certificate that LOVATO is installed. This made me suspicious. I checked the vaporizer and it is labelled as LOVATO. I hope it is the electronic vaporizer (the paper says so). The multivalve is that of TOMASETTO. It is not visible. I hope it is placed inside the ECON toroidal tank. Emulator is not LOVATO made. The name is FEC. Near the dash board they have the petrol-gas on-off switch. It starts in petrol, but it doesn't automatically shift to gas mode. Each time I will have to make an effort to press the feather touch button to make the transition to gas.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=black] [/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]I feel I have been cheated. Because I have asked for a LOVATO gas kit they infact, I believe, made a mix and match of things and named it as MIJO gas kit in the certificate. It costed me 18,500 INR. It gives about 250 kms on 20 Litres of gas.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=black] [/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]Can you please let me know whether it is safe to keep the kit. Or should I go to the consumer court?[/COLOR]
[COLOR=black] [/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]Regards[/COLOR]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3] [/SIZE][/FONT]
shyamsunderlal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2007, 10:08   #114
BHPian

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvsakpal View Post
Hi,
I have recently (31st July 2006 to be precise) fitted LonGAS LPG kit to my Zen. Well RTO stuff is still pending but will be done by weekend. I have converted it for 18.5K (including RTO) form a local vendor (well exists for last 6 yrs and have converted more than 100 cars). Here are few exp..and queries..
Exp
1) Cost reduced by half (i mean it as I drive 45kms daily)
2) Additional noise while staring the car

3) Well pick up has dropped (its very very evident while driving uphill, I stay in M'bai and have to take a few flyovers)
4) At times can here few noises form the engine while driving
5) drive not as smooth as on petrol...
6) Well takes a lot of time to fill LPG, also theer is some sound while LPG is getting filled (My LPG mechanic said he will get this fixed)
queries
1) Can I get the same pick-up as petrol on LPG wth some fine tunning
2) while racing why the engine is not as smooth as on petrol
3) I hope the sound while filling LPG is of no major concern
4) Do I need to inform the Insurance company abt this??
5) How long does it normally takes to full the tank (60 lts capacity)
6) Are there any specific checks that I need to follow on regular basis
7) Well the indicator provided for level of LPG on my dashborad does not work..mechnic says he will fix it along with the LPG filling proble. I hope this is not a major concern??
Well all said and done I except for some crancky noises and drop in pick-up I am happy with the LPG conversion. i expect to get the amt recovered in 8-10 mnths time. If you are not too crazy abt speed then converting LPG seem sto be the BEST available option...
Well friends anyone who can help me with my queries
hi ,
even i got a lpg kit installed around 6 months back in my baleno .
1. u save money on petrol even if the fe drops by 2
2. u need to get the mixture setting checked my car is much smoother on LPG i feel it.
3. all your other queries about performance " u need to get the mixture right for it for me i took like 1 month to get it done . like i u sed to tell him to tune it to my driving style and then check it for a week and again go back to get the faults fixed.
4. filllin up 60 lit tank would take like 15~20 mins (i have a 40 lit tank in my baleno which approx takes 8~10 mins) if the pressure is maintained at 10 Bar. ( they p.p. have to maintain this pressure at this constant)

Initially i had problems as u had with my car about pick up and mileage but nw its better and am happy abt it .
abhishek_rait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2007, 10:49   #115
BHPian

@ Shyamsunder

Not safe, it is not neccessary for all parts of different companies to be compatible with each other considering their Safety certifications are approved as a whole.

You should have got the installation done in front of yourself,checking each part for Date of Manufacture and Authenticity.

Nevertheless, Have them remove the Kit and install a complete Kit assembly from Lovato which will include Lovato OEM Reducer, Solenoid,Emmulator and Changeover switch.

Filler valve and Preassure Gauge can be Indian make.

If they don't agree ask for a refund, and if that also does not work out, launch a complaint in the consumer court,along with RTO office- However you need to ensure that 1) You have the Bill and Proforma Invoice copy which says which Kit you asked,paid for and installed , 2) The Conversion Kit was approved by RTO. 3) Remove the kit before it causes an issue.
wolfinstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2007, 15:00   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo
Recently I have been noticing that there is a engine coolant loss when I run on LPG.
YIKES!
Get it checked out immediately,ajo.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2008, 18:14   #117
BHPian

Question LPG conversion for Ikon 1.6

Hi guys.. I have an Ikon 1.6 which has run 46,000 kms. im planning to convert it to LPG. I spoke to a kit installer who quoted me Rs 22,000 for a closed loop kit including RTO approval and 19,000 for an open loop kit. What do u guys think of it? and also plz let me know what i should look for when installing the kit.
Mods-This is my first post since a very long time, so plz move it to the appropriate section if i have posted it in the wrong one

Mod's Note: Please carry out a search to find a relevant thread to post, rather than opening a new thread for the same old topics. And this has nothing to do with the posting frequency, so please...
cadaver_prad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2008, 11:02   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
After so much of googling, reading technical journals, speaking to experts and checking out advanced LPG systems, I finally installed the so called closed loop system on my LPG kit.

A little background.
My car is a 2006 model. I installed a BRC open kit when the car completed 5000kms. I was getting typical LPG kit performance from the car for the last 7000kms. The major problem, I faced was tuning. I was not able to set the right gas mixture. If I set rich, the mileage dropped, If lean, pickup suffered.

That set to me think. Thats when our forum helped a lot. Spoke to a few people. However, no one I spoke had this system installed. I googled and read a few articles and installer websites.

When I was in the US last month, I met an Indian engineer who works on Ford and Lincoln. He showed me a few cars installed with the sequential multipoint propane injection system. Very advanced system with separate injectors for LPG.

Armed with this info, I called up Rohan Auto, distributors for BRC in India. I was set back hearing the cost, 60K. It has only been done on petrol Innovas till date.
Seeing one link in teambhp, I called one person in Delhi. He mentioned that all MPFI LPG kits in India were meant for being installed closed loop.He was able to give semi closed kits.

I later called one BRC dealer in Chennai who said sequential system for Alto was not feasible, However, he could make the kit semi closed with a steeper motor and ECU like box which takes pulses from TPS, O2 sensor and lamda sensor for 5.5K. I agreed and here is what I have:

ECU which reads pulses
from TPS,O2 and Lambda sensor

Stepper motor with manual tuning also

TPS, O2 sensor wires have been
cut to povide pulses to the ECU.

I am yet to pull the statistics of mileage. From initial feel, its more smooth than driving on petrol. Vid699, theres no jerking at all. I dont feel a marked difference from petrol like I felt before. Need to take the car on a highway drive to see her perfomance and also record FE.

I am relieved now as I dont have to run around to manually tune the gas flow. The flow changes based on my driving style. My kit has become intelligent.

Hey,
What about the current situtaion.Did u get the Good FE.I too tried in my WaginR with Semi clossed Loop System.But the same thing happened again with 8 Kms/lt.Now i changed the Vapouriser and testing is in progress.I'll let u know with FE once the gas tank is empty.
aks_karthik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2008, 18:55   #119
BHPian

In Trivandrum LPG is now priced at 35.70 / litre............ and petrol @ 46.13 /litre and diesel @ 34.54 / litreeeeeeeeeee
premdiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2008, 19:02   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
YIKES!
Get it checked out immediately,ajo.
Yes, got it rectified before my long trip to Kerala. Leak in the coolant pipes attached to the vapouriser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks_karthik View Post
Hey,
What about the current situtaion.Did u get the Good FE.I too tried in my WaginR with Semi clossed Loop System.But the same thing happened again with 8 Kms/lt.Now i changed the Vapouriser and testing is in progress.I'll let u know with FE once the gas tank is empty.
I have disconnected the closed loop system due to high LPG consumption. The pickup was good, but doesnt serve the purpose of LPG. I am happy on open loop.

For all who want to convert to closed loop, please avoid.... Invest in the sequential if you have the money.