Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 8th November 2014, 15:54   #31
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Brand new Skoda Octavia: Curtain Airbags deploy without impact / accident!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Here's the latest update from Shaikh Akbar:

I have wondered about the deformation of the door. Is it normal for side airbag deployment to do that? This is far fetched but could the car have gone over an extremely rough patch of road that caused severe flexing of the monocoque structure and led to deformation of the doors and the airbags to deploy?
StarScream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2014, 16:30   #32
BHPian

Default Re: Brand new Skoda Octavia: Curtain Airbags deploy without impact / accident!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
What to believe and what not to believe. So should we label it as a customer fault or another one of Skoda's horror stories?

Did they share there data and findings behind this conclusion?
Going by how Skoda has been treating their customers in India I have no doubt in my mind on whom to believe. (Its their reputation and doesn't seem to be changing fast).

From the pics its hard to believe any collision cased this, unless the owner repaired the dents and damages before sending it off to Skoda showroom.

If there would be a case in which air bags don't deploy in case of a real accident their replies would be totally different. Though tyre air pressure might still be the cause.
tazmaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2014, 16:55   #33
Senior - BHPian

If there was a collision and the bumper has been repainted won't the service center know it. If it's all clear then he should sue Skoda for this. I for one will believe the customer whenever there is a VW group incident.
harry10 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2014, 16:58   #34
BHPian

Black box??? Does a car like the octavia even has such a thing? I thought only really serious cars like the nissan gtr has got one of those.
nakul0888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2014, 18:35   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

P.S.
The impact story ok, maybe we can buy this with a pinch of salt, but come on Tyre pressure really?
Wonder what they might say next,
Don't eat and drive, the extra weight might set off the airbags!

A similar incident happened in the US with a Pontiac!
GM bought back the car from the owners! I guess they were scared of a lawsuit.
Shaikh Akbar, Please post a video of your car like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakul0888 View Post
Black box??? Does a car like the octavia even has such a thing? I thought only really serious cars like the nissan gtr has got one of those.
I guess they do, The ECU stores all relevant information and errors and I guess one of the side sensors failed and recorded a collision, which led to the air bag deployment.
But try explaining this to the chaps at Skoda who seem to be hinting tyre pressure issue.

Last edited by Captain Slow : 8th November 2014 at 18:39.
Captain Slow is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2014, 19:37   #36
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

P.S.
Frankly I don't understand what kind of an impact could have caused the doors to become like that, that too with no other external marks. Based on my understanding the pressure sensor would have had to have been hit to cause the airbags to deploy, but there is no impact on the doors from the outside. The sensor if I'm not mistaken is not just behind the steel, but a bit inside the door so that a smaller accident which may just dent the door won't set off the airbag.

I think the owner should try and find someone with a VCDS, or use VAS at a workshop and see what exactly is stored on the ECU, what errors, etc.
Akshay1234 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2014, 21:23   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
I think the owner should try and find someone with a VCDS, or use VAS at a workshop and see what exactly is stored on the ECU, what errors, etc.
Given the kind of coverup Skoda seems to be engaged in, I would be surprised if an independent garage found even a single error code left in the system.
joybhowmik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2014, 13:26   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

If a Skoda official was to tell this story in front of me and mention black box etc, I would have fell on the floor laughing. Shame on them to make such claims and try to convince a customer who has spent lakhs together on the car. Such kind of arguments don't even hold good in vegetable markets these days forget in such expensive transactions.

I do believe that as per them, the 'black box' aka airbag controller would have indicated an occurrence of an impact. That's obvious and the reason why the airbags deployed. But they should further admit that the airbag controller is another machine, or a system in a much technical sense. If the crash sensor malfunctions and gives a wrong signal to the controller, then the job of the controller is to fire the airbags and naturally claim that an impact has taken place. This doesn't give them the liberty to blame the customer saying that a crash has indeed happened. Shouldn't there be some damage to the car at least for an airbag to be deployed?

My car has twice run into a stone on the road ripping the bumper bottom. I don't think this would warrant an airbag deployment. Or should I say that the airbags aren't working

Though we don't know the genuinity of the claim made by the owner, yes we should give some consideration to him. Seeing the case from the opposite side, did the owner try to install any aftermarket accessories? The airbag circuit I believe is very sensitive electrically and when the dealer was stitching the steering wheel cover for my car, though it wasn't an electrical mod, the airbag fuses were removed and battery disconnected. Could this be a cover up? Thought of this because when I go to JC Road, I see expensive cars being ripped of their door panels and ICE installations going on.
audioholic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2014, 19:00   #39
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Frankly I don't understand what kind of an impact could have caused the doors to become like that, that too with no other external marks.
Exactly my thought. Both doors are deformed outwards i.e. bulging out. Front door bulging out from below and rear door from top.

This can only be due to the airbags going off. There's no other impact visible.

Another thought is hitting a stone or huge speed breaker below causing the underbody to deform and push the doors out.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2014, 19:12   #40
BHPian

I know the airbag deployment is quite forceful but never thought it be powerful enough to deform doors so badly, that too from bottom whereas deployment position is at top.

Anyways hasn't anybody noticed this dent on the front door:

Brand new Skoda Octavia: Curtain Airbags deploy without impact / accident!-3edit.jpg
tbppjpr is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2014, 19:27   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
I know the airbag deployment is quite forceful but never thought it be powerful enough to deform doors so badly, that too from bottom whereas deployment position is at top.

Anyways hasn't anybody noticed this dent on the front door:

Attachment 1307270
Yea. The dent accompanied with huge scratch (may be). But that much light damage made the airbags pop out? If yes, can a football hit cause side airbags to pop out? Not good if the sensors are so sensitive.
300 KMPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2014, 21:11   #42
Senior - BHPian

When they say black box , do they mean ECU ?
Is the impact is registered, then it should also register the force of the impact and we can verify if that force should trigger the airbags.
F150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2014, 11:48   #43
BHPian

I would suggest that Mr Akbar request details of Skoda Engineer reports in writing and copy Auto Car India (perhaps Hormazd Shorabjee); Mr Sudhir Rao is committed to changing the face of the company and if he can be copied in the emails as well, the details may be disclosed that much sooner. I would also highly recommend a Twitter and Facebook campaign.

It is exigent that the logic behind the analysis that it was an impact and not a faulty airbag be found. I urge the car owner to take this matter up at a high level in a calm, peaceful and amicable manner whilst pointing out the difficulties faced by him in losing his car for a month.

If Skoda CEO and other officials do not respond in a fair (to everyone involved) and timely manner, then I would urge a lawsuit be filed, but only as a last resort.

My entire extended family has been Skoda customers for the past 10 years. I am sure there are many of us who would continue buying their excellent products, provided a certain amount of pro-active, FAIR customer-centric approach is reached by the corporate executives. Two of my Uncles are interested in buying Superbs and I was considering the Rapid DSG; we have all put our decision on hold until we have a better understanding of the situation.

Whether it is a manufacturing defect or a customer fault, it is imperative that Skoda act in a transparent and fair manner, both towards themselves and their customer.
imp! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2014, 14:15   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Another thought is hitting a stone or huge speed breaker below causing the underbody to deform and push the doors out.
That's the only other explanation I could come up with. That sort of also explains why Skoda is talking about tire pressure. The lesser the pressure, the more the impact felt by the body. Except, an impact that deformed the body like that would definitely have damaged the tire and/or suspension components. The truth here seems to be somewhere in the middle.
StarScream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2014, 14:35   #45
Senior - BHPian

I guess it should be scrutinized on the vehicle driving conditions at the time of this incident. There are a number of reasons why the airbag could have been deployed. Here's one such scenario:
nitinbose is offline   Reply With Quote