Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2014, 23:47   #1
BHPian
 
jfxavier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Kollam, Kerala
Posts: 779
Thanked: 1,262 Times
Question Volvo S60 instrument console failed. Repair or replace? Volvo to replace under Goodwill!

I wanted to find out the opinions of the experts/ experienced in this matter.
I am facing a question of trying to repair my car's instrument console, or pay 1.5 Lakh for a replacement.
I am inclined towards the earlier option as I believe, in case I fail I can renew it.
What are the realistic options that we have in India.
I see xemodex, clusterrepairs , and various workshops are there if you live abroad. Is there anyone in India doing this kind of jobs?
If someone can help it will mean a lot to me.
jfxavier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2014, 09:12   #2
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Delhi
Posts: 3,062
Thanked: 6,207 Times
Default re: Volvo S60 instrument console failed. Repair or replace? Volvo to replace under Goodwill!

I really cant help you for specifics in the Indian context. But as you suggested in other parts of the world it is very much a viable concept to have your instrument cluster or any car electronics for that matter repaired rather then replaced.

In Europe and in the USA I know and have used a bunch of different specialized workshops that have repaired anything from an instrument cluster, to an ECU to an atmospheric pressure sensor. Bearing in mind that labour in these regions, compared to India, is hugely expensive and it still makes sense to get your bits repaired rather then replaced.

Some of these firms also offer refurbished replacement units. So you can buy a refurbished unit and usually when you also send in your old unit you get a discount, or something similar.

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2014, 10:14   #3
BHPian
 
jfxavier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Kollam, Kerala
Posts: 779
Thanked: 1,262 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
I really cant help you for specifics in the Indian context. But as you suggested in other parts of the world it is very much a viable concept to have your instrument cluster or any car electronics for that matter repaired rather then replaced.

In Europe and in the USA I know and have used a bunch of different specialized workshops that have repaired anything from an instrument cluster, to an ECU to an atmospheric pressure sensor. Bearing in mind that labour in these regions, compared to India, is hugely expensive and it still makes sense to get your bits repaired rather then replaced.

Some of these firms also offer refurbished replacement units. So you can buy a refurbished unit and usually when you also send in your old unit you get a discount, or something similar.

Jeroen
I am confused as to how the sound output is given from the DIM.
Is it direct from the DIM or through the audio system?
Anyone who is familiar with these units on a volvo could give me some details, I could start focusing on the particular area.
Thanks again for your input.

Sorry, I forgot to mention the exact nature of the problem.
I think I had written it in another thread and so overlooked it.
My car's (Volvo S60 2011MY) DIM has stopped giving the audio alarms.
All the visual indications and functions are OK.
The ASS wants me to renew the DIM for a cool 1.5L.
However I would like to get to the core of the issue before parting with that kind of money.

Last edited by moralfibre : 5th November 2014 at 10:25. Reason: Back to back posts.
jfxavier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2014, 11:01   #4
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Delhi
Posts: 3,062
Thanked: 6,207 Times
Default re: Volvo S60 instrument console failed. Repair or replace? Volvo to replace under Goodwill!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfxavier View Post
However I would like to get to the core of the issue before parting with that kind of money.
Sound approach. You might want to check the speaker first. You need to figure out where it is and do a simple resistor test with a multimeter. Who knows, you might find a loose wire. Could be as simple as that. If you find the wires to the speaker you can also check the output of the instrument cluster, so at least you have some idea of direction where to go.

Couple of years ago, the same thing happened to me on my Jaguar. No alarms, no sounds. I checked on the various Jaguar forums and quickly learned this is actually a familiar problem. So opened up the dashboard, and sure enough, found the little speaker simply kaput. Rocked up to the nearest Jaguar dealer and bought a new one and installed it, all in the space of less then two hours.

Jeroen

Last edited by moralfibre : 5th November 2014 at 13:59. Reason: Fixing quote tag
Jeroen is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2014, 11:48   #5
Team-BHP Support
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 11,890
Thanked: 9,723 Times
Default re: Volvo S60 instrument console failed. Repair or replace? Volvo to replace under Goodwill!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Sound approach. You might want to check the speaker first. You need to figure out where it is and do a simple resistor test with a multimeter. Who knows, you might find a loose wire. Could be as simple as that. If you find the wires to the speaker you can also check the output of the instrument cluster, so at least you have some idea of direction where to go.

Couple of years ago, the same thing happened to me on my Jaguar. No alarms, no sounds. I checked on the various Jaguar forums and quickly learned this is actually a familiar problem. So opened up the dashboard, and sure enough, found the little speaker simply kaput. Rocked up to the nearest Jaguar dealer and bought a new one and installed it, all in the space of less then two hours.

Jeroen
Considering both cars have Ford genes, this could be a likely situation
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2014, 12:11   #6
BHPian
 
jfxavier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Kollam, Kerala
Posts: 779
Thanked: 1,262 Times
Default re: Volvo S60 instrument console failed. Repair or replace? Volvo to replace under Goodwill!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Sound approach. You might want to check the speaker first. You need to figure out where it is and do a simple resistor test with a multimeter. Who knows, you might find a loose wire. Could be as simple as that. If you find the wires to the speaker you can also check the output of the instrument cluster, so at least you have some idea of direction where to go.
Jeroen
Thanks.
That's my plan as well.
If any drawings/ diagrams were available, it would have been great.
jfxavier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2014, 13:21   #7
BHPian
 
jfxavier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Kollam, Kerala
Posts: 779
Thanked: 1,262 Times
Default re: Volvo S60 instrument console failed. Repair or replace? Volvo to replace under Goodwill!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Couple of years ago, the same thing happened to me on my Jaguar. No alarms, no sounds. I checked on the various Jaguar forums and quickly learned this is actually a familiar problem. So opened up the dashboard, and sure enough, found the little speaker simply kaput. Rocked up to the nearest Jaguar dealer and bought a new one and installed it, all in the space of less then two hours.

Jeroen
Thanks Jeroen
On your Jaguar, was the speaker separate from the cluster PCB or was it embedded as part of the card.
Anyone who has a good idea of the layout will be of a great help now.
My friend has had a look already and he says he cannot locate the speaker.
I am away at sea now and have to remotely manage the situation.
Hopefully I might get some photos to see.
jfxavier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2014, 13:57   #8
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Delhi
Posts: 3,062
Thanked: 6,207 Times
Default re: Volvo S60 instrument console failed. Repair or replace? Volvo to replace under Goodwill!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfxavier View Post
Thanks Jeroen
On your Jaguar, was the speaker separate from the cluster PCB or was it embedded as part of the card.
Anyone who has a good idea of the layout will be of a great help now.
On my Jaguar the (alarm) speaker is mounted completely separate. It actually sits underneath the steering column. In order to get at it I had to remove one panel underneath the dashboard and the panels around the bottom half of the steering column.

you really need to find a specific diagram for your car/type/model and maybe even year built. Because it could be all different. Try and find some of the (international) car/type forums. On most there will be people who have access to all documentation or can point you in the right direction. Somebody should know where the speaker is located on those forums

When I started asking question on JagLovers forum within a few days I was mailed all the electrical manuals and diagrams! Hope you will get lucky too

And by the way, my Jaguar predates the Ford era, so I can honestly say its a proper Jaguar, not a Ford! Nothing wrong with Fords. I have and still own a whole string of Fiesta's and I have had one Ford Siera, one Focus and two Mondeo's in the past. Nice cars, great chassis. But it aint no Jaguar!

Jeroen

Last edited by moralfibre : 5th November 2014 at 13:59. Reason: Fixing quote tag
Jeroen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2014, 20:19   #9
BHPian
 
jfxavier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Kollam, Kerala
Posts: 779
Thanked: 1,262 Times
Default re: Volvo S60 instrument console failed. Repair or replace? Volvo to replace under Goodwill!

I had already posted in a few international forums along with tBHP.
Some of the people who repairs the DIM has told me that the speaker is supposed to be inside the instrument cluster itself.
Apparently there are holes for the sound to be heard outside.
we were looking inside the dashboard, not inside the DIM.
There is always something new to learn. Next time the plan is to go for the DIM itself and try a surgery and see what the internals are like.
Attached Thumbnails
Volvo S60 instrument console failed. Repair or replace? Volvo to replace under Goodwill!-image153620ba76ac07e0e07ec9595413e35013b820d028a1f34d4f0b916356350e27v.jpg  

jfxavier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2014, 20:44   #10
Senior - BHPian
 
lurker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tura
Posts: 1,308
Thanked: 641 Times
Default re: Volvo S60 instrument console failed. Repair or replace? Volvo to replace under Goodwill!

If you want to get this repaired in India, I guess it will have to be a risk because surely there can be no Volvo specific techs here because of low numbers.

OTH if you indeed want to take a risk, then any company that deals in medical equipment or digital speedometer repairs and equipped with an electronics bench could surely take a look, and if it is indeed some marginal issue like loose contact or moisture ingress then they could repair it for you as well.

Or else better ship the DIM to some company who specializes in this (most likely in UK) and wait for them to do a good job.
lurker is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2014, 21:15   #11
BHPian
 
jfxavier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Kollam, Kerala
Posts: 779
Thanked: 1,262 Times
Default re: Volvo S60 instrument console failed. Repair or replace? Volvo to replace under Goodwill!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
If you want to get this repaired in India, I guess it will have to be a risk because surely there can be no Volvo specific techs here because of low numbers.

OTH if you indeed want to take a risk, then any company that deals in medical equipment or digital speedometer repairs and equipped with an electronics bench could surely take a look, and if it is indeed some marginal issue like loose contact or moisture ingress then they could repair it for you as well.

Or else better ship the DIM to some company who specializes in this (most likely in UK) and wait for them to do a good job.
Thanks Lurker
That's exactly my plan.
If it is the speaker or the wire, will get it done by the friendly neighbourhood electronic wizard.
Otherwise it has to be clusterrepairs, volvodiagnostic etc. in uk or xemodex in canada or something.
When we had the cluster in hand we were looking at it the wrong way.
We should have been looking at the back side of the DIM, instead of admiring the beauty of the front side.
Attached Thumbnails
Volvo S60 instrument console failed. Repair or replace? Volvo to replace under Goodwill!-image323dc95798e45fcd8f50c7805e96d0cf4756b24391a4b03579c886363a152c5fv.jpg  


Last edited by jfxavier : 5th November 2014 at 21:18.
jfxavier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2014, 21:37   #12
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 3,506
Thanked: 2,072 Times
Default re: Volvo S60 instrument console failed. Repair or replace? Volvo to replace under Goodwill!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
Or else better ship the DIM to some company who specializes in this (most likely in UK) and wait for them to do a good job.
+1
Can be repaired, but normally not by the FNG. (Much like auto boxes).
Requires specialised knowledge, setup, and spares support. (In other countries there are laws regarding spares support for third parties. No such luck in India.)

Regards
Sutripta

PS. @Lurker: Tura, as in ML08?

Last edited by Sutripta : 5th November 2014 at 21:41.
Sutripta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2014, 21:54   #13
Senior - BHPian
 
lurker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tura
Posts: 1,308
Thanked: 641 Times
Default re: Volvo S60 instrument console failed. Repair or replace? Volvo to replace under Goodwill!

yes, if it comes to chip/module replacement or programming then an Indian company may not be able to help. But I have doubt if the problem would be so deep.

check these guys. They may be able to help.

http://www.repairandreturn.in/contact-us.html

Sutripta da, I was there for a few years. Now in South India.

btw was it you or SS-Traveler who repaired an XC-90, if I remember the thread.

Last edited by lurker : 5th November 2014 at 21:56.
lurker is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2014, 22:05   #14
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 3,506
Thanked: 2,072 Times
Default re: Volvo S60 instrument console failed. Repair or replace? Volvo to replace under Goodwill!

^^^
Not me.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2014, 22:31   #15
BHPian
 
jfxavier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Kollam, Kerala
Posts: 779
Thanked: 1,262 Times
Default re: Volvo S60 instrument console failed. Repair or replace? Volvo to replace under Goodwill!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
yes, if it comes to chip/module replacement or programming then an Indian company may not be able to help. But I have doubt if the problem would be so deep.

check these guys. They may be able to help.

http://www.repairandreturn.in/contact-us.html

Sutripta da, I was there for a few years. Now in South India.

btw was it you or SS-Traveler who repaired an XC-90, if I remember the thread.
Thank you very much.
have sent a mail to them.
Will see what they say.
Good to know that there are professionals who believe in the environmentally responsible way to maintain things, rather than just replace & forget.
jfxavier is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hero Karizma ZMR - Fuel pump failed. Rs. 12,000 to replace! sam_sant2005 Motorbikes 36 27th April 2015 11:13
Odometer / Instrument Cluster Repair? Palio_2005 Technical Stuff 21 1st November 2014 04:43
Volvo S60 & XC60 : Cheaper variants. EDIT : S60 now starts at 23.90 lakh & D3 engine .anshuman The Indian Car Scene 74 16th August 2014 21:53
Palio goes to Wasan for wiper repair. Ends up with a failed aircon amit Technical Stuff 14 31st May 2008 10:12


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 12:46.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks