Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 6th March 2016, 11:13   #106
Default Re: Frontal Crash - Airbags didn't deploy. Why?

Originally Posted by vin_b View Post
Moderators please move this reply to appropriate thread if it doesn't fit here.

I happened to visit VW Mysore for my annual service and came across a curious case of airbag deployment. I saw a perfectly fine new Vento from the side near the body shop area but only to notice that the airbags was deployed. I assumed that the engineers might be testing out something and approached the vehicle just out of curiosity. When I had a talk with the mechanic, he said its accident vehicle and hence it was deployed.

Upon seeing the front bumper, I was shocked to say the least. The bumper was in intact with minor cracks in the front

Have a look the pictures which I took (sorry for the clarity). It looks more like a faulty airbag sensor than anything else to me. As per mechanic, the owner apparently is going for insurance claim and was so irritated that he went to extent of saying that he does not need airbags if its soo sensitive. Shouldn't this be covered under warranty for faulty sensor than blindly claiming insurance. Shouldn't VW be looking at this more seriously since such low speed impact can happen to anyone in bumper to bumper traffic
It is hard to draw conclusions without knowing the full picture. It could have been a collision with a relatively soft object such as an animal. Airbag deployment is dependent on so many variables. There will always be around 10% incidents where airbags malfunction; either they don't deploy or end up deploying when not needed. It is theoretically possible to have the deceleration required to trigger the sensors without damaging the front end too much if the car collided with a softer object at a low speed. The speed might have been just high enough to trigger deployment but not enough to cause extensive damage. Aproximately 20 kmph would be my guess.

Last edited by Lobogris : 6th March 2016 at 11:17.
Lobogris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2016, 20:58   #107
Team-BHP Support

Some relevant pages on when the airbags Do & Don't deploy - from the Maruti Celerio owner's manual:

Frontal Crash - Airbags didn't deploy. Why?-dsc02023.jpg

Frontal Crash - Airbags didn't deploy. Why?-dsc02024.jpg

Frontal Crash - Airbags didn't deploy. Why?-dsc02025.jpg
Rehaan is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2016, 21:47   #108
Distinguished - BHPian

The little car seeing "stars" on impact in the Celerio handbook is quite funny!

Last edited by smartcat : 17th May 2016 at 21:49.
smartcat is online now   Reply With Quote