Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 2nd December 2014, 16:27   #1
BHPian

Default Rattle Queen - Hyundai Santa Fe 4WD. How to solve?

Rattle Here Rattle There Rattle everywhere.

This is what i have been experiencing lately every time i drive my Santa Fe.
The noise inside the car is proving to be a nightmare for me.
Problems in the car - Seats and doors rattle to an unbearable extent. Brake pedal vibrations.
The middle row seats are 60:40 split seats which are foldable for the purpose of entering 3rd row. The seats are loose and the rub against each other and vibrate and make noise. This doesn't happen if the seat is occupied. Apart from the seats doors make noises despite of being greased and tightened properly at a very frequent rate. Currently the 2nd row left seat has been changed but still there is not much reduction in rattle inside the car.

It all started at 5801 kilometers when the middle row right seat started vibrating and making noise.
Eventually the left one joined the party.
As any normal person would do, the car was taken to an authorized Hyundai dealer (probably the best in Ahmadabad which is concept motors) . They lubricated the rubber panels in doors , greased all hinges of the car inside out and the sound was gone for a couple of weeks.

Again it started "zip zap zoom boom doom" This was such a head ache.
It would sound only when no one was sitting on those seats. If the seats were loaded they wonít vibrate.

I visited the service center again at 9967
They promised me to solve the noise.
The same greasing and tightening was done. Noise disappeared for some weeks and then it returned. The service center guy said that this seat rattle is a noise in many Hyundai Santa fe and i should not be so concerned about it. How pathetic was that - how can any person bear a
rattle in a new luxury SUV.

Again the car visited the ASC at 10450 kilometers for a service and the seat complain was registered again but there was no solution.

Again the car visited the ASC at 15249 kilometers for a service and the seat complain was registered again but there was no solution and vague opinions were given.

It was service time again at 16174 kilometers. As expected seat issue was raised by me but no solution. Finally I decided to talk with the manager about this problem. He came up with a solution like installing cotton seat covers so that seats donít rub against each other and make noise.I was totally confused as in what to do and how to beat this rattle out of my car , was also tired of taking my car to ASC every now and then so decided to take a brake and think something.

Update at 18791 kilometers. I was not able to work anything out , rather I didnít want to solve it myself as this was an manufacturing defect and I wanted the company to solve it.
Had a word with the manager again, He told me that this noise is of the tail gate and he fixed the tail gate noise by the general greasing and tightening, still the seat noise existed to a big extent and it was unbearable.
Even the manager was not able to figure out the way in which seats were making noise.

I had to explain them that the vertical part of seat was vibrating along a direction parallel to the seat itself and also touching the next seat.
I had a hard time explaining them the problem. The manager was very kind in understanding the problem and he asked me to wait for a week until he thinks of a solution. Again he came up with a rubbish solution like installing cotton seat covers on leather seats !
I said that this is not to be done and the noise is to be resolved keeping everything stock.

I kept my car again- for the 6th time at service station to solve the problem.
Again and again they would waste my time by giving stupid explanations but would fail to kick the rattle out of my lovely car.
I decided to keep calm and think over
the issue as my car was repeatedly dismantled. Removing and installing seats every time has made the interiors dirty and also scratched the plastic panels.

Finally i went to the manager and demanded new seats under warranty as the car had done barely 18791 kilometers under 2 years. He agreed to me and ordered new left seat. It took a whooping month before the left seat arrived.Initially there was no gap between the left and right seat but after changing left seat there is a gap of 2-3cms between the seats and they to touch any more but the right seat still vibrates a lot.

I demanded new seats for right side too.
I has been 2 month and it hasn't arrived, They keep on giving stupid excuses.

Currently
1. Left seat of the middle row has been replaced which doesnít vibrate.
2. Right middle row seat vibrates to such an extent that its visible.
3. Dash board squeaks.
4. A pillars squeak
5. Door rubber seal squeaks
6. And many other squeaks

Is it only my Santa Fe that is in such a horrendous state.
I feel like opening it up at home and start analyzing the problems but i fear the warranty policies and also as an unprofessional person i may damage to vehicle further.

To summit it all . The car has come to such a state that i feel like driving it the least as i get frustrated to all the sounds and hardly enjoy the ride.
I want to totally cut down each and every tickle and dickle and make my
ride very smooth as it should be.

What are the methods?
For seat noise Ė custom fabricating of additional clamps to keep the seats rigidly fixed at their position.
For other rattle Opening the plastic panels, inspecting them for loose objects and refitting them properly and Damping the door pads and other moldings by yoga mats .Damping using dynamat or dampmat or other brands.Will damping help.

I want to find a one shot permanent solution for this as the car is just two years old and we dont wish to upgrade it soon.

Please help
Attached Thumbnails
Rattle Queen - Hyundai Santa Fe 4WD. How to solve?-stock.jpg  

Rattle Queen - Hyundai Santa Fe 4WD. How to solve?-gap.jpg  

Rattle Queen - Hyundai Santa Fe 4WD. How to solve?-gap21.jpg  

Rattle Queen - Hyundai Santa Fe 4WD. How to solve?-gap2.jpg  

Rattle Queen - Hyundai Santa Fe 4WD. How to solve?-9.png  

197Horses is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2014, 04:12   #2
BANNED

Default re: Rattle Queen - Hyundai Santa Fe 4WD. How to solve?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 197Horses View Post

I want to find a one shot permanent solution for this as the car is just two years old and we dont wish to upgrade it soon.

There is no one shot permanent solution.

Simple Rule : The more you take your car to a workshop to fix the same rattle, the more there will be other problems in addition to that rattle.

Workshops become familiar with the problems related to a car when there are many of them around. In your case, even though the problems are basic the workshop will be clueless as they would be going through the learning curve with your car. Forget the ASS, even the factory will be clueless in this case as the car is a CBU. This means that the ASS does not have a proper point of reference to guide them so they will remain clueless.

The unfortunate and bitter truth is that your problems are only set to increase given the current level of skill sets within your ASS .

Your choices are: (a) run the risk of increased rattles by taking it to them again (b) find another expert FNG who can help you (c) live with the rattles or (d) if (b) is not an option, seriously consider selling the car as the problems can only increase given the current situation.
VeyronSuperSprt is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2014, 08:37   #3
BHPian

In some cars mostly hatchbacks with 60:40 split seats, a lock is provided near the top edge of each seat so that seat is attached to the C-pillar which makes it rigid at it position.
In Santa fe if I manage to custom fabricate clamps which attach the seats to C-pillars and also a clamp that attach the left and right seat to each other, the horizontal movement of the seats may be totally stopped .See the pictures to check the position of new locks.

The consequences of this may be
1. Spoilt Aesthetics if clamps are not good looking
2. Slope adjustment function of those seats will be of no use as the seats will be locked in position, (as it is we don't change slopes of the rear seats).
3.If a person wants to the 3rd row, it would become time consuming as one more lock needs to be opened after opening two company locks.

The advantages if this trial is done and it goes successful
1. No vibrations of seats at all.
2. No noise of seats in the car resulting in a silent, smooth and a enjoyable ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeyronSuperSprt View Post
There is no one shot permanent solution.

Simple Rule : The more you take your car to a workshop to fix the same rattle, the more there will be other problems in addition to that rattle.

Workshops become familiar with the problems related to a car when there are many of them around. In your case, even though the problems are basic the workshop will be clueless as they would be going through the learning curve with your car. Forget the ASS, even the factory will be clueless in this case as the car is a CBU. This means that the ASS does not have a proper point of reference to guide them so they will remain clueless.
I totally agree with your point. As there are a few car in the town, the learning process starts with the problem itself. They remain absolutely clueless.
This is the reason i didn't let them open up any door panel or plastic panel because those noises are not so significant.
Speaking for the seats - believe me that you may be shocked to see how irritating those noises are.

Living with those noises is not an option also selling the car for such small reason is not a option that i can adopt.
Attached Thumbnails
Rattle Queen - Hyundai Santa Fe 4WD. How to solve?-direction-vibration.jpg  

Rattle Queen - Hyundai Santa Fe 4WD. How to solve?-clamp-1.jpg  

Rattle Queen - Hyundai Santa Fe 4WD. How to solve?-add-clamp.jpg  

197Horses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2014, 09:54   #4
Senior - BHPian

^^^
if the support clamps were bolted to the plastic part and the seat back, remember you will end up with more rattle in future. Support has to be taken from a rigid structure (body) in this case you should encounter either a drill or weld which may affect the structural rigidity (corrosion / rusting aswell) of the body. Open the plastic covers to understand if there is any other possible solution for bolting.
Mr.Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2014, 10:51   #5
BHPian

To all you guys who are advising to add new supports/clamps etc., I have a basic question.

First of all, why is a vehicle rattling so much? Generally, cars that start rattling with age. Doesn't that mean there's something bigger wrong? Do all Santa Fe's rattle so much?

In my limited knowledge, I can think of the below.
  • The rattles started due to engine lugging and amplified due to continued wrong driving habits. (No offense to owner, I am just guessing.)
  • The engine mounts are weak resulting in rattles seeping into the cabin. This can be termed as a manufacturing defect.
  • Bad roads etc
Added_flavor is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2014, 11:35   #6
BHPian

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here (How to MULTI-QUOTE (when replying to a thread) on Team-BHP).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
^^^
if the support clamps were bolted to the plastic part and the seat back, remember you will end up with more rattle in future. Support has to be taken from a rigid structure (body) in this case you should encounter either a drill or weld which may affect the structural rigidity (corrosion / rusting aswell) of the body. Open the plastic covers to understand if there is any other possible solution for bolting.
Incase the clamps are added they would surely be bolted to the frame and not the plastic part as plastic wont have any strength. I will open up the plastic to find a spot for fixing the support and drill a hole in the plastic to allow to support to pass through it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
To all you guys who are advising to add new supports/clamps etc., I have a basic question.

First of all, why is a vehicle rattling so much? Generally, cars that start rattling with age. Doesn't that mean there's something bigger wrong? Do all Santa Fe's rattle so much?

In my limited knowledge, I can think of the below.
  • The rattles started due to engine lugging and amplified due to continued wrong driving habits. (No offense to owner, I am just guessing.)
  • The engine mounts are weak resulting in rattles seeping into the cabin. This can be termed as a manufacturing defect.
  • Bad roads etc

I do not know if all santa fe's rattle this much due to seats.
Bothing big is wrong this includes the engine mounts suspension driving habbit or any such factors.
It is just that the seats have not been manufactured well and they become loose from joints due to which they vibrate.

Last edited by GTO : 3rd December 2014 at 17:16. Reason: Merging back to back posts
Old 3rd December 2014, 11:58   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Do all Santa Fe's rattle so much?
Quote:
The service center guy said that this seat rattle is a noise in many Hyundai Santa fe
Normally I don't go by the words of S.A. They have the habit of negotiating a unique problem as general complaint. But who knows, sometimes they may be correct.
Mr.Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2014, 12:05   #8
BHPian

Quote:
It is just that the seats have not been manufactured well and they become loose from joints due to which they vibrate.
I am considering the fact that you have mentioned there are rattles in the dashboard, A Pillar and many other areas in the car and not only from the seats.
Added_flavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2014, 13:08   #9
BHPian

Quote:
I am considering the fact that you have mentioned there are rattles in the dashboard, A Pillar and many other areas in the car and not only from the seats.
Yeah but majority of the part is seats. Dashboard and other things are bearable.
Old 4th December 2014, 15:25   #10
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Rattle Queen - Hyundai Santa Fe 4WD. How to solve?

I'm sure by now you have done wheel alignment and balancing. I had this issue in the front seat on one of my cars and this solution worked.

Your car shouldn't be getting any kind of vibrations in the first place , try to find the source , it's a luxury SUV and make sure Hyundai hears your case.

Lower segment cars like my Verna are refined and almost silky smooth , your car should be better , not worse.
stanjohn123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2014, 15:30   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post
I'm sure by now you have done wheel alignment and balancing. I had this issue in the front seat on one of my cars and this solution worked.

Your car shouldn't be getting any kind of vibrations in the first place , try to find the source , it's a luxury SUV and make sure Hyundai hears your case.

Lower segment cars like my Verna are refined and almost silky smooth , your car should be better , not worse.
Yeah the alignment and balancing of wheels is ok.
You are right verna is so smooth and silent we have a fluidic(14) and verna(09).Only after enjoying the verna a tough decision was made on buying a hyundai SUV.

I have no clue on how to make hyundai hear to this issue. Can you enlighten this?

Thank You
Old 4th December 2014, 17:49   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...majority of the part is seats. Dashboard and other things are bearable.
You really need to take a TD of another Santa Fe of similar vintage / usage pattern. Ask one of the other owners for a ride / drive, and then judge whether the rattling is generic or specific to your car.

The replacement seat doesn't rattle, yet that yawning gap is entirely unacceptable. The clamps-and-bolts idea is best kept as a last-ditch measure, if your patience completely runs out!

Since your vehicle is under warranty, there is no point in the usual advice of fixing rattles with a good FNG (who are far more competent than the ASS people at addressing issues such as these). OTOH, it is obvious that the 2 service centres you have visited are not competent enough to resolve this. Try another service centre in that region, maybe they can help. Or take a drive up to Delhi, and get Hyundai's company-owned service centre, Hyundai Motor Plaza, to address the issue once (this last advice is of course the one that ought to appeal to every diesel-blooded petrol-headed BHPian!).
SS-Traveller is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2014, 21:21   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
You really need to take a TD of another Santa Fe of similar vintage / usage pattern. Ask one of the other owners for a ride / drive, and then judge whether the rattling is generic or specific to your car.
I want to do this but when ever i go to ASC, there is no other santa fe out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
The replacement seat doesn't rattle, yet that yawning gap is entirely unacceptable. The clamps-and-bolts idea is best kept as a last-ditch measure, if your patience completely runs out!

Since your vehicle is under warranty, there is no point in the usual advice of fixing rattles with a good FNG (who are far more competent than the ASS people at addressing issues such as these). OTOH, it is obvious that the 2 service centres you have visited are not competent enough to resolve this. Try another service centre in that region, maybe they can help. Or take a drive up to Delhi, and get Hyundai's company-owned service centre, Hyundai Motor Plaza, to address the issue once (this last advice is of course the one that ought to appeal to every diesel-blooded petrol-headed BHPian!).
This idea of visiting delhi centre is nice.
I can couple it with the autocar performance show only if i can squeeze that kind of time and my dad agrees on taking car to a delhi centre. He is hardly bothered about noises , he takes lightly and ignores it but unfortunately i am not able to do so or else there wont be any problem .
197Horses is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2014, 10:33   #14
BHPian

If the seats are vibrating sideways, that means the seat rails underneath that are fixed on the floor are not fixed or unable to bear the weight of the seats.

Since the replaced seat is not vibrating now, that means it was a problem with the seats only. Possibly the metal frame.
Wait for the right seat replacement, I guess, for now.

You could ensure that the bolts under the seat are properly engaged. I had a similar vibration issue in my Vento, and it turned out to be a slightly loose bolt left during the ICE work.

In the mean time, disgnose the other noises.
Mark out the exact spots and think of causes and solutions.
negativeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2014, 13:01   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by negativeH View Post
If the seats are vibrating sideways, that means the seat rails underneath that are fixed on the floor are not fixed or unable to bear the weight of the seats.

Since the replaced seat is not vibrating now, that means it was a problem with the seats only. Possibly the metal frame.
Wait for the right seat replacement, I guess, for now.

You could ensure that the bolts under the seat are properly engaged. I had a similar vibration issue in my Vento, and it turned out to be a slightly loose bolt left during the ICE work.

In the mean time, disgnose the other noises.
Mark out the exact spots and think of causes and solutions.
Yes u are right about the frame.
When the left seat was done under warantty ,only the metal frame was changed and not the sponge and leather.

Currently i have been waiting for the right seat too. As you said ,after replacing the right one if the problem may be solved then no need of any thing else.