Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 8th August 2006, 09:52   #1
BHPian

Default At what age does an engine start performing at its peak?

I drive a 2002 800. Its done 51000km and while its suspension seems to have become a little weak and the clutch is not in its best condition ever, the engine feels and sounds better than ever. Which makes me wonder -"When does an engine really come into its own?" And from the look of things, it will easily outlast all the other parts of my car by decades. Of course, I am a sedate driver and have never pushed this baby over 110kmph, but if one really wishes to enjoy one's car, does one need to get a car that also has the rest of the body and suspension also built to last? I for one feel at home in a car that I have driven for years.
That means I should get a 1.6 Petra or a Palio or an Ikon and find a good mechanic to live happily ever after? What say the Team?
prabuddhadg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2006, 10:46   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

From my experience with cars, until 10000 kms the engine is just okay. Onto 20000 kms, she is good. Butttttttttttttt the best are engines around the 40000 km+ mark and which have run on Mobil1. These love to be revved all day!
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2006, 11:20   #3
BHPian

I have not paid too much attention to engine oil. Of course I have it changed every 5000km and I use Maruti recommended oil, but these new synthetics would definitely work better. But it makes me sad to think that now that my engine is at its best, the rest of the car no longer is.
Old 8th August 2006, 11:21   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

The first 10K-15K kms is when any manufacturing defect will show up. This period would also be when the engine settles down. Post this, the engine should be at it's best. How long it remains there would depend on how one drives.
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2006, 11:57   #5
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
Butttttttttttttt the best are engines around the 40000 km+ mark and which have run on Mobil1. These love to be revved all day!
Ditto same thing I have noticed... my WagonR started rocking after 40k kms. The engine is free as never before
SLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2006, 12:23   #6
BHPian

Which leads me to the next point.. so is it a not a better idea to find a slightly used well maintained car and enjoy for as long as one has it rather than get a brand new car and fun it in for a year, maybe more, then lose a lot in terms of resale value loss when disposing of say, after seven years? It might be more profitable to replace the entire suspension (if need be) than to sell the seven year old first ownership car at a loss.
Old 8th August 2006, 13:00   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabuddhadg
Which leads me to the next point.. so is it a not a better idea to find a slightly used well maintained car and enjoy for as long as one has it rather than get a brand new car and fun it in for a year, maybe more, then lose a lot in terms of resale value loss when disposing of say, after seven years? It might be more profitable to replace the entire suspension (if need be) than to sell the seven year old first ownership car at a loss.
The problem is that we are talking generally about well maintained / well run in engines. When you buy second hand are you sure how it has been maintained? Delaying/avoiding oil changes, high revving when cold, etc. are common issues and I have seen many problems with esteems, etc. at 70k km, when otherwise nothing should happen till double that running.
sandeep108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2006, 13:14   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep108
The problem is that we are talking generally about well maintained / well run in engines. When you buy second hand are you sure how it has been maintained?
That of course just can't be disputed. But most people seem to get bored with a Zen or a Santro in about 4 years, whereas if you went in for a used Ikon, you could save a lot on cost and use that on the fuel and on maintenance, and enjoy from day one. Provided of course, you find a car with proper service records (which also is not very hard to find. For instance, if someone wants, I have all the bills and records of any work ever done on my car.) All you need is to be patient and wait bide your time till the right car shows up.
Old 8th August 2006, 14:16   #9
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabuddhadg
For instance, if someone wants, I have all the bills and records of any work ever done on my car.) All you need is to be patient and wait bide your time till the right car shows up.
Na... I think the peace of mind in buying a new car and driving it yourself from the day one ... is unmatched! A second hand car just doesn't come close.

Its not just the engine that makes for a good driving experiance.... its also the gear-box, the suspension, the body (stiffness)... the rattlelessness...
One might be enjoying his car b'coz of the free engine at 40k+ but the day one drives a new car - one realises that it's in a different league of smoothness.

Last edited by SLK : 8th August 2006 at 14:18.
SLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2006, 14:29   #10
BHPian

i believe each engine is unique in character even if its mass produced by the same manufacturer.

my baby has run over 450k+ and still is happy revving in the usual 110 - 150 range.

similar model same engine driven by my colleague is plagued with problems of engine, suspension etc.

and i've not stuck to any particular brand of Oil but its either castrol or Mobil
only the service part i take care of and make the oil changes on time, as with temperatures at around 50C oil thinning is more an issue.

above all never tinker a good condition in an effort to get more performance out of it. it only gets ruined.

slk@ agree that new engines are highly refined and smooth but then they too have their share of problems.

Last edited by 2fast4u : 8th August 2006 at 14:34.
2fast4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2006, 14:33   #11
BHPian

That is more the new car feel; the fresh paint, the new upholstery and the clean scratch free glass. But then the rattles and the body work are so much dependant on one's luck, that you can't really count on that. My friend's Swift rattles from day 1. My four year old 800 hardly does.
Anyway, we are not exactly on the same plane, SLK. You are talking of feeling and I am talking of VFM.
Old 10th August 2006, 21:14   #12
Senior - BHPian

ONe cant be sure when his car will perform at peak coz it purely depends on the usage of the car...if the car is driven with a light foot then it would be around 40k to 50k before the car hits its peak performance...but if the car has been driven shotgun then the peak performance age is indefinite...Harder you drive, faster your engine will free up.simple.

My OHC vtec opened up significantly at around 48k on odo.

Last edited by The Wolf : 10th August 2006 at 21:15.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2006, 22:39   #13
Team-BHP Support

my cars have been wonderful after 20k till date(indica dls now has 125000 and accent 1.5 gls has 77000 on odo),and the cars are performing as good as ever no issues till date apart from minor electrical glitches in indica and minor rattle in accent.
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2006, 17:41   #14
BHPian

You know what, I drive about 65-70 km every day. Kandivili to Lower Parel and back along with a million other cars to and from work. One rarely gets to drive at over 80 kmph, and that too in 20sec bursts. The normal speed is more like 40kmph on the better days. The car I drive is the 800, and while its one of the easiest to drive in these road and traffic conditions, what I feel quite often is that it is too light for safety. With the road conditions at present, I felt unnerved by suddenly being bounced by a rut or a pothole or a bump in the road.
But on the other hand, the car never sounded and felt (enginewise) as smooth before. So, sometimes I think of upgrading the suspension to make it feel "completely" better, but I do not think that will make it much safer on the road. I have had it for over four years now, and somehow, thinking of selling it gets me dewey eyed. Which makes me think of getting a car that I will not mind keeping for ten years.