Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 10th August 2006, 17:49   #1
Default CVT or auto clutch ? My aching foot!

Just joined the forum a couple of weeks back - just moved back to India after 5 years in the states - and looking around for a car between 5-8 lacs ( ex showroom)
Last few days - went test driving the Optra, the SRV ( damn good looking car), Baleno - and have the elantra and the city vtec lined up for this weekend
The one thing I noticed after the two days of test driving ( in Delhi) was a very sore left foot ( just above the ankle) - reason - I was pressing the clutch all too frequently ( due to the heavy traffic and of course a certain lack of practice of driving the manual transmission)

This has made me think if I should look at an automatic ( in my price range that virtually makes the NHC ZX CVT the only viable option) - in that regard my question would be - how difficult is the HC CVT maintenance ( any owners feel free to share their experience) and what is its resale value for these ( any info would be good)

Another option I came across ( being advertised in autocar and also mentioned briefly in this forum) is the use of an autoclutch -which would vastly increase my range - to the VTEC, the Chevy SRV, the Elantra etc.
Regarding that -here are my questions

a) Does it work - anyone on this forum who has used this -please do share your experience
b) What is the cost - of installation
c) It seems to be made by automate india - based in Pune - is there a workshop in Delhi which can install it - if so where

Would appreciate your inputs!
vikrantw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2006, 18:48   #2

Welcome to the forum.

The auto-clutch has been discussed here already -

Please use the search feature to see if your questions have been answered already.

ballkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2006, 19:15   #3
Senior - BHPian

we have auto clutch in santro and its a divine gift in mumbai roads. installation job is done quite ok and very less modification is involved. if you want better fuel efficiency compared to automatic this is the best option. good for people having physical problems, it is parallel system and can be over ridden anytime. car will not stall, but will take a little time to get used to.
they have improved upon it and now comes with a touch sensor installed on gear knob. kit cost 26k. they should reduce the price to make it popular.

Last edited by gigy : 10th August 2006 at 19:22.
gigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2014, 02:46   #4
Default Re: CVT or auto clutch ? My aching foot!

Hey Guys, very old thread but, just wanted to check if there is any recent feedback of the product if still exists?
damore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2014, 10:06   #5
Distinguished - BHPian
Default Re: CVT or auto clutch ? My aching foot!

I will take the CVT any day. Auto clutch is the poor man's AT.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote