Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 7th February 2017, 20:43   #91
BHPian

Default Re: How to know whether airbag module is intact or removed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
I got your point buddy, this happens for sure in used market. Functionality is difficult to confirm, but presence can be checked. Any mechanic / A.S.S could do that. Another way is through VAGCOM for VW family.

We live in a planet filled with greedy hearts. There are cases where used car dealers, sometimes sellers themself, middle men incase of assets recovered by finance institutions remove accessories and parts (including air bag, spare wheels) and sell them offline.

What if the lamp is disconnected / bulb removed / failed? This is another scam running in used car market these days (witnessed one of the flood affected car sale case)
Well said sir, i too thought same. If any quoted slightly low price (assume Laura) , in delhi and kerala, i can see lower priced, though it looks genuine due to 10 year ban rule, but my mind thinks otherwise. So to clear my doubt i had posted it here. Since if they sell off few important modules and parts, which we can not notice, But overall If we see the Laura L&K value, we fell to the trap. But may the seller also had made good profit by selling those un noticed parts.
rajivanoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2017, 12:48   #92
BHPian

Default Re: Airbags: All you need to know!

With increasing awareness about car safety, more and more customers are looking for cars with all types of airbags, as evidenced by the facelifted City, which has additional side and curtain airbags in the top variant.

I found this while going through the website of the European Commission about side airbags.
Quote:
Research to date is inconclusive about the performance of side air bags in crashes which are designed to protect occupants in side impacts. No studies to date show convincing evidence of major injury reductions and there are some indications of airbag induced injuries.
Link

Things like this maybe the reason why airbags are still not mandatory in EU. Nevertheless, most manufacturers provide all types of airbags in EU cars.
deerhunter is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2017, 07:14   #93
Senior - BHPian

Crash video shows the difference between having airbags and not having them.

volkman10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2017, 13:38   #94
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Crash video shows the difference between having airbags and not having them.
This is an incredibly misleading video (even if it's for a good cause).

The non-airbag and airbag cars being compared in the crash test are wildly different in terms of general safety rating (regardless of airbag).

The non-airbag car is clearly several generations older and suffers from huge intrusion into the passenger cabin. To compare, just keep an eye on the A-pillar during the crashes. You'll see the non-airbag car's A-pillar totally buckle and fold.
Rehaan is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2017, 13:44   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
The non-airbag car is clearly several generations older and suffers from huge intrusion into the passenger cabin. To compare, just keep an eye on the A-pillar during the crashes. You'll see the non-airbag car's A-pillar totally buckle and fold.
Not to forget the Non-Airbag car's driver's seat also sliding so much forward upon impact unlike the Airbag one.

Of course, Seat Belt with pre-tensioner will be at job but not to the extent that the seat will slide ahead that badly.

Obviously, 2 cars of the same make and model, with and without Airbags should have been compared.
paragsachania is online now   Reply With Quote