Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 18th November 2013, 08:47   #166
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post

I wouldn't even try it in my new cars though. They are complicated with sensors monitoring a lot of things and wouldn't want to mess with them, lol.
Completely agree with you, modern cars with so many sensors this oil treatment can be too risky.
B747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2016, 20:33   #167
BHPian

Default Re: My Experience Of Adding 2T Oil In Fuel

So, i discover this thread after 10 years. But then i figure i still have an "old mill" Bolero DI 2007. Is it ancient enough to try the additives?
I recently tried ABRO. It did clean the injectors a bit, since it reduced the knocking. Need to get the fuel system cleaned up anyway.

-- Torqy
Torqy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2016, 20:53   #168
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
I recently tried ABRO. It did clean the injectors a bit, since it reduced the knocking. Need to get the fuel system cleaned up anyway.
Try using System-D from Iftex or LiquiMoly's diesel fuel additive.

They are much better than Abro.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2016, 12:25   #169
Distinguished - BHPian

At one time 20L petrol and 4oz of Upper Cylinder Oil used to be common. No more, in fact UC oil does not exist. Remember any oil like 2T can adversely impact the Cat Converter system, so better be careful. System G or Addon are designed for modern engines 2T may not be.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2016, 11:42   #170
BHPian

Hi, I drove my Xylo E6 from Vashi to Amritsar for friend's son's wedding in May 2014. Journey up was great and on the way down just exiting the Udaipur bypass I filled up at a Bhp bunk and the the NVH levels went up drastically. The car touched 100kmp with great difficulty and at higher Rpm . The stretch thru ghats of Dungarpur was bad. I bought a quarter lit of 2t oil at the next pump , and put it in the diesel and topped up the diesel to the brim . Engine note changed within no time . Nvh levels dropped remarkably and I could manage the fast drive in fading light to the outskirts of Ahmedabad without any hassle. Next morning The journey from Ahmedabad to Vashi was smoother with addition of the 2t oil in the next diesel fill somewhere near Vapi. Though I drove faster as this stretch is almost all expressway , I achieved better fuel efficiency. Than the Udaipur to Dungarpur stretch which I was doing at about 75 kmpl on an avg. I have been lacing my diesel with a bit of 2t oil now and then without any problems. It does make the motor smoother and quieter and does enhance the fuel economy. On highway runs I feel it is safe to use small proportion of 2t oil in diesel specially when the available fuel quality is suspect.

Last edited by HIGHNOON : 21st September 2016 at 11:47. Reason: Typos
HIGHNOON is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2016, 12:08   #171
BHPian

I found this interesting academic paper on the effect of adding 2T oil in diesel.
It concludes that while 2 T improves the lubricity of Diesel, the recommended 200:1 (Diesel:2T) doesn't affect the lubricity much. The problem with 2 T is that it contains Zinc and can foul injectors.
Fouling of injectors leads to reduction in fuel flow which leads to loss of power in the long run. This will not damage the system but won't improve it either.
I guess the improvement in lubricity can be beneficial for power and FE in cases where the fuel is adulterated and has poor starting lubricity. The refining process for diesel desulphurisation also removes some of the organic compounds that help diesel maintain its lubricity.
Nissan1180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2016, 12:29   #172
BHPian

@ 80 ml of 2T oil to about 40 litres of diesel ( assuming one usually fills before the reserve fuel light comes on) , should not adversely affect either the injectors or the cat con or other sensors I suppose . More so in case of frequent high speed highway runs . It may increase lubricity for functioning of pump . In older di / Idi the increased lubricity may even help the mechanical injectiors( nozzles) .
In modern Common rail di engines overuse or overdose may lead to fouling up the cat con , certain sensor readings and the injectors and also adversely affect emission levels specially in vehicles which spend most time idling in traffic .
in high speed long highway drives the 2T oil doses may actually be better for the life of your engine .
HIGHNOON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2016, 11:34   #173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHNOON View Post
... my Xylo E6 ...
even I have Xylo E6, current ODO is 161500 KMs.
have tried few times adding 2T small amount (40ml pouch) in diesel tank full (55 Ltr), and indeed the highway run was bit smoother, FE I cant really didnt notice much change just because of 2T.

moreover, I have even tried combo of 2T + Additives (AddonD / Abro / STP / SysD), and overall result was a big smoother drive, but really didnt increase the FE.
pcpranav is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2016, 13:49   #174
BHPian

Hi Pranav , I too did that initially bought a box full of System D, Indian oil ( made by Total , France ) . Used to lace diesel with 1 Sache of the additive plus 80 ml sache of 2t . On highway runs to Nashik and Baroda clocked 16kmpl on ac on a number of occasions . Ran out of the additive ( had got it at bargained rate from IOC bunk CBD Belapur ) . Smoothness pickup was noticeably better . The same concoction worked well for me on my safari TCic and indigo TC. Strangely didn't do much in the quadrajet vista so didn't pursue in that .
In xylo, 2T it always worked well as I was having to do highway runs once a week atleast.
HIGHNOON is offline   Reply With Quote