Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 24th March 2015, 12:20   #46
BHPian

Default Re: Cars that still have a hydraulic steering

Surprised to see no mention of Ford Classic here, a car which continues to live and see some sales. Doesnt it also have hydraulic steering?
WindRide is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2015, 12:52   #47
BHPian

The BMW X1 SDrive - the model till 2013 had a hydraulic setup. It is pretty heavy, but I'm used to it.
dinu2506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2015, 14:06   #48
BHPian

My good old 1999 Lancer has a HPS! and it's a pure joy. No matter what I drive now, Lancer just blows them out in comparison!
rangarx is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2015, 20:36   #49
BHPian

Yes Ford Classic has a Hydraulic Steering and it's still brilliant. Basically, i feel light, small cars are better of with EPS which makes cornering, parking in our cities a one hand affair. But for medium and large cars hydraulic gives the solid feel that a car of substantial weight should have.
Deepak K Gupta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2015, 20:56   #50
Awaiting Email Confirmation

My XUV 500 has hydraulic power steering; ditto in case of my erstwhile Linea. Linea scored more on steering feedback than XUV 500.
J.Ravi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2015, 21:25   #51
BHPian

My Logan, aka verito - one of the most abused and under rated car everywhere, also runs HPS and i love the feel of it - compared to the EPS that i experienced in another popular car, i find it much more enjoyable - specially on the ghat roads.
9tMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2015, 21:31   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Cars that still have a hydraulic steering

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9tMax View Post
My Logan, aka verito - one of the most abused and under rated car everywhere, also runs HPS and i love the feel of it - compared to the EPS that i experienced in another popular car, i find it much more enjoyable - specially on the ghat roads.

+1.

I have driven both the petrol and the diesel variants, and I love to drive that car. Under rated for sure, because most people I speak to don't accept Logan and fun in the same sentence. The steering feels good and the handling is neutral as well, while not compromising on the ride comfort. Engine may be down on power, but doesn't feel bogged down thanks to the negligible lag.

I find the latest refresh version to be a bit on the softer side though. Body roll is evident- Mahindra customising it for ride comfort once Renault backed out.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2015, 00:41   #53
BHPian

My 8 year old Hyundai Getz has hydraulic steering. Feels great on highways and instills confidence. Although in city conditions and tight parking spaces, it does feel a tad heavy. In contrast Grand i10's electric one feels like a toy steering, just awful feel.
heavenlybull is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2015, 07:13   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
The audi feel is literally like playing a video game console. But very few cars can match a Quattro-equipped Audi's handling and performance. Mercedes too is soft and offers a no-feedback, easy-to-turn feel while delivering great handling. Porsche and BMW on the other hand have always given importance to steering feel.
VWAG minus Porsche all are terrible handlers. This is more about my opinion that a tight feedback oriented steering is essential to understand the cornering better. Most cars of most brands can handle some amount of cornering without a tailspin anyway. Mazda as per what I've heard is the best affordable brand which is focussed on handling. Now I've never driven an Audi but having driven VW cars of the same platform I just felt one thing - absolutely terrible to drive in terms of steering. BMW's blow them out of the water with their 50/50 weight balance & steering. Instead of a heavy 4WD system they keep it simple with RWD which makes it even more fun in tracks. Of course none of this makes sense in India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavenlybull View Post
My 8 year old Hyundai Getz has hydraulic steering. Feels great on highways and instills confidence. In contrast Grand i10's electric one feels like a toy steering, just awful feel.
The hydraulic steering of Hyundai was absolutely perfect, they were just emerging as a good to drive affordable brand and then the i20 shows up.Though the Grand i10 steering is light, it still had decent feedback & tightness for a EPS, I'd say I actually liked it. The i20 though (all generations) can expect to sweep the awards for worst steering ever. Its so light that crosswinds from an open window can turn them end to end (ok I'm joking). Many have reported that current gen-i20 steering is much improved but I felt it was as numb as ever.
dark.knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2015, 08:00   #55
BHPian

My dad has a Hyundai Accent which has hydraulic steering. Whereas my Polo has EPS. Whenever I drive the Accent after driving my Polo, it feels as if Accent does not have a power steering! Though the hydraulic steering gives a better feedback.
Ketan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2015, 08:35   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
VWAG minus Porsche all are terrible handlers.... Now I've never driven an Audi...
Trust me, Audis handle brilliantly. I agree about the steering feel, it is completely numb and artificial. But then, handling does not equal steering feel.
rajushank84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2015, 11:08   #57

Post Re: Cars that still have a hydraulic steering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
My guess is that also current electrical systems are set up,for what the average owner likes. Its not a limitation in the system, it is actually designed and set up to provide the feel it provides. It feels the way it feels by design, not by chance or limitation
I would concur with what Jeroen has said.

An EPS can be tuned and set-up to behave exactly as you want it. But most market feedback from a common customer comes in the form heavy or light steering, and thats how manufacturers tune their steerings; to feel light. The Hyundais (before the Elite i20, which I haven't driven, so no comments) all had funny EPS tunings; funny but quite light and they sold like hot cakes.

So manufacturers could infact tune an EPS to mirror a hydraulic system, in terms of on-centre feel, progression and feedback but they choose to cater to the requirements of a larger audience.

As for switchable maps on the EPS ECU, that's going to be a reality on even entry level cars really soon. I was interacting with a supplier recently and he informed me that soon to be launched hatch & compact sedan siblings might have that feature. I am sure most people on this forum would be able to guess which cars I am talking about here.
Memphis0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2015, 11:17   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
(HPS are never meant for hard-full locks).
Would love to know more about it. Why? or how do full locks affect the system? Quick googling didn't help. I haven't heard about this before.
DudeWithaFiat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2015, 12:05   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis0202 View Post
I would concur with what Jeroen has said.

An EPS can be tuned and set-up to behave exactly as you want it. But most market feedback from a common customer comes in the form heavy or light steering, and thats how manufacturers tune their steerings; to feel light. The Hyundais (before the Elite i20, which I haven't driven, so no comments) all had funny EPS tunings; funny but quite light and they sold like hot cakes.

So manufacturers could infact tune an EPS to mirror a hydraulic system, in terms of on-centre feel, progression and feedback but they choose to cater to the requirements of a larger audience.

As for switchable maps on the EPS ECU, that's going to be a reality on even entry level cars really soon. I was interacting with a supplier recently and he informed me that soon to be launched hatch & compact sedan siblings might have that feature. I am sure most people on this forum would be able to guess which cars I am talking about here.
Personally I don't agree with that. From what I can see, both Bmw and Porsche are trying to match the feel their earlier hydraulic setups had. As a result their electric steering setups are better than Other brands', but they haven't yet achieved that level of feel. Yet.
rajushank84 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2015, 12:13   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
Personally I don't agree with that. From what I can see, both Bmw and Porsche are trying to match the feel their earlier hydraulic setups had. As a result their electric steering setups are better than Other brands', but they haven't yet achieved that level of feel. Yet.

Nobody argues that it is a different feel. Technically there is no reason for it not to be identical. So it is by choice it feels different.
Jeroen is offline   Reply With Quote