Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 30th October 2006, 14:49   #16

Does the sound come when you turn the wheel and the suspension goes down due to the wheel angle and gives a creak/clunk.
The linkage which joins the steering wheel to the steering gearbox has universal joints in it. These joints have some play. This play produces the sound I was talking about.
Excessive wear of these joints can produce the sounds you described.
Pankaj401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2006, 23:53   #17

I have a similar problem of a 'clunk-clunk' noise in my 2002 Palio GTX (done 24000 km). I can in fact feel in on the steering wheel.

One point of difference is that the problem is there only when the car is cold. After driving it for around 4-5 km, the sound all but disappears. Howver the time period before the noise goes away is gradually, but surely, increasing.

Another variation is that the noise is present not only when the steering wheel is turned but also when going over a small road-surface irregularity.

The dealer has already raised the car on a ramp and checked the suspension components. However, I do not think the check-up was thorough since by the time I reached the dealer, the car had already warmed up and, consequently, the noise had disappeared! Can you please advise what I need to check next?
vipul_singh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2006, 11:01   #18

dude the clunking should be from your steering ball joint, your boot is ruptured and the joint is drying out,also check tie rod ... experts what do you think?
ancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2006, 01:03   #19
Default hi

hi ,

just get the support rod bushes and rubber bush kits replaced . This will solve the problem . Also check if your support rod is bent while replacing . Dont do anything else . What you could do is check if the ball joints and bearings are in proper condition .
greatmana2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2006, 14:52   #20

I too have been hearing a "click-click-click" type of noise from the front side of my Santro (maybe just below the steering wheel) while taking sharp, fast turns or even slow turns at full steering lock. Could be the CV joints. Car has done 38000 kms now. Mentioned this to the local garage guys at the 35000 kms service, but they couldn't find any problem. Plan to get it checked at an ASC during the 40000 kms service. Actually I have been hearing this noise for a few months now, maybe from 30000 kms onwards.
rks is offline   Reply With Quote