Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2016, 21:45   #16
Senior - BHPian
 
sandeepmohan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Wellington
Posts: 1,943
Thanked: 1,621 Times
Default Re: Air-con Refrigerant: How much to fill?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post
I bought manifold gauge just for myself but seems all my friend circle is after me to get the top-up. I also did a thorough video while fine tuning A.C. on my Santro and the video should be available on YouTube in a next 2-3 days max.
Is this video up?

I would like to attempt this myself. What store sells a manifold gauge? How much freon should one buy?

The symptoms you have said seem to be in line with the problem I am facing, poor cooling during day time. The aircon works well in the morning. In fact, it brings down the temperature pretty quick that I can hear the system cutting out too when desired temperature has been reached. I can also hear a hissing sound through the vents. The air coming out of the vents is not as cold as it should be when the blower is maxed out.

In a climate control system, if you hit the Auto button, the system automatically decides the fan speed based on set and actual cabin temperature. The blower speed decrease as the cabin cools down. However; in my case, the blower remains at higher speeds most of the time and is struggling to bring down cabin temperature.
sandeepmohan is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2016, 00:32   #17
BHPian
 
ghpk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ghaziabad
Posts: 869
Thanked: 192 Times
Default Re: Air-con Refrigerant: How much to fill?

Yes, My car issues were solved by I, me, myself, I mean, i topped up mine as well many cars of friends.
So manifold purchase if calculated in terms of money is already utilized, however all friends carried in their own can of freon and I topped it up for free, and they took back the left over gas for later use.

In most cars I needed just little under half a can, as If AC doesn't starts its should have a empty Gas reservoir which indicated leakage somewhere.

However One friend brought his ALTO whoes AC was not cranking, and it consumed the full bottle I think 400-500 gms and AC worked perfectly for weeks.

However I've moved to NCR now so those guys will be missing their D.I.Y. friend a lot in their next topup.

Videos were posted on youtube, but due to my migration issues from a city I lived 35+ years and recent demise of father, I don't remember if I posted here.

here are the links





hope it helps.
ghpk is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2016, 20:18   #18
Senior - BHPian
 
sandeepmohan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Wellington
Posts: 1,943
Thanked: 1,621 Times
Default Re: Air-con Refrigerant: How much to fill?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post
hope it helps.
My hindi is not very good. I did understand most of it though its something I probably don't want to attempt on my own car.

Cooling has been bad on my Linea for a quite a long time. I had ignored it for over 6 months cause the weather was okay. With summer setting in early, the evening trip back home was not very comfortable, with the air conditioner struggling to bring down cabin temperature. I could also hear a hissing sound through the vents.

I took the car to a supposedly reputed car aircon service place called Aditya Car AC service. A popular name in my city. The chaps popped the hood, located the low pressure valve, which was right next to the compressor. The blue gauge registered around 70 Psi, which according to the technician, the system had very little gas left in it. My car is 4 years old. I am not sure how gas escaped from the system.

He topped up freon and also sent in some Usha sewing machine oil through the blue pipe, much against your advice. He assured me nothing would go wrong and its something they do often and for cars that have not seen a freon top up in a long time. I hope nothing goes for a toss in the long run. This brought down the reading on the gauge to 30 psi.

Cooling has improved a lot. Grill temperature went down to 4.8 degrees. It may have gone down lower had I left the gauge on the vent for longer. The aircon cools the cabin in no time. Being an automatic climate control system, the blower speed reduces as cabin temperature is reached. Earlier, it would stay at very high speeds cause the cabin was not cooling.

Thanks for sharing the videos.
sandeepmohan is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2016, 14:11   #19
BHPian
 
Styler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 391
Thanked: 210 Times
Default Re: Air-con Refrigerant: How much to fill?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post

For example, in the Scorpio (the Refresh model), the requirements are:
Refrigerant R134a - 830 +/- 20 grams
Compressor oil FD46XG - 150 ml
.
Sir is it surely around 830 grms for Scorpio.
Last to last year you know I got the Cooling Coil replaced at Manjit's workshop.
Last year My Compressor had failed and I had got a new one installed at Manjit's workshop. All through I felt it was cooling less.
This year in Feb 2016, the Gas had completely gone.
I took the Scorpo to Manjit Singh's workshop and the mechanic there diagnosed the leak to a small black rubber ring where the pipes of the Cooling coil come into the dashboard.
They changed it and filled 600 grms of GAS.
I still feel the car takes too long to cool, and the cooling is not enough to trigger the anti freeze switch to shut off the compressor.
I just saw this post and realized that maybe My AC system has less gas and so the cooling is not good enough.
I look forward to your advice and will act accordingly. Getting 200 Grms more gas is no big deal.
Styler
Styler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2016, 15:24   #20
BHPian
 
pixantz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 563
Thanked: 649 Times
Default

Yes. For the size of AC on a Scorpio, the refrigerant gas level is anywhere from 750gm to 830 grams according to model.
pixantz is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2016, 03:33   #21
BHPian
 
ghpk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ghaziabad
Posts: 869
Thanked: 192 Times
Default Re: Air-con Refrigerant: How much to fill?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
My hindi is not very good. I did understand most of it though its something I probably don't want to attempt on my own car.

Cooling has been bad on my Linea for a quite a long time. I had ignored it for over 6 months cause the weather was okay. With summer setting in early, the evening trip back home was not very comfortable, with the air conditioner struggling to bring down cabin temperature. I could also hear a hissing sound through the vents.

I took the car to a supposedly reputed car aircon service place called Aditya Car AC service. A popular name in my city. The chaps popped the hood, located the low pressure valve, which was right next to the compressor. The blue gauge registered around 70 Psi, which according to the technician, the system had very little gas left in it. My car is 4 years old. I am not sure how gas escaped from the system.

He topped up freon and also sent in some Usha sewing machine oil through the blue pipe, much against your advice. He assured me nothing would go wrong and its something they do often and for cars that have not seen a freon top up in a long time. I hope nothing goes for a toss in the long run. This brought down the reading on the gauge to 30 psi.

Cooling has improved a lot. Grill temperature went down to 4.8 degrees. It may have gone down lower had I left the gauge on the vent for longer. The aircon cools the cabin in no time. Being an automatic climate control system, the blower speed reduces as cabin temperature is reached. Earlier, it would stay at very high speeds cause the cabin was not cooling.

Thanks for sharing the videos.
Thanks for the update, Actually I made the video in Hindi on purpose, as YouTube already has so many english video about what not for Car Air Conditioning, and there was not a single video done about this D.I.Y. stuff.

I know its tricky and one would not want to take Risk + invest in the equipment needed and most people don't have time to do this experiment.

Its nice to know that your car A.C. is fine now, please do share how much they charged you for top up.
ghpk is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2016, 10:59   #22
Senior - BHPian
 
sandeepmohan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Wellington
Posts: 1,943
Thanked: 1,621 Times
Default Re: Air-con Refrigerant: How much to fill?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post
please do share how much they charged you for top up.
I was charged Rs. 1400.
sandeepmohan is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2016, 16:42   #23
BHPian
 
lapis_lazuli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Zilla Ghaziabad
Posts: 440
Thanked: 429 Times
Default Re: Air-con Refrigerant: How much to fill?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post

Cutting long post short, I myself filled Freon on 5 vehicles in last 7-10 days,
I bought manifold gauge just for myself but seems all my friend circle is after me to get the top-up. (as its cheaper and they have some confidence on my D.I.Y stuff)
I also did a thorough video while fine tuning A.C. on my Santro and the video should be available on YouTube in a next 2-3 days max.

Just to remind you again, don't fill OIL until its flushed, or pump more gas to get more cooling, you would end up with shortened compressor life this way for sure.
Excellent videos sir!

Very informative and inspiring. I am in Ghaziabad too and a strong proponent of everything DIY. Where did you buy the brass gauge set from and how much did you pay for the 450mL of Godrej 134A?
lapis_lazuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2016, 03:47   #24
BHPian
 
ghpk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ghaziabad
Posts: 869
Thanked: 192 Times
Default Re: Air-con Refrigerant: How much to fill?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapis_lazuli View Post
Excellent videos sir!

Very informative and inspiring. I am in Ghaziabad too and a strong proponent of everything DIY. Where did you buy the brass gauge set from and how much did you pay for the 450mL of Godrej 134A?
I bought manifold in Allahabad and not GZB for Rs.1100 approx
however you would need to buy "Quick Coupler Connector Adapter" to connect the manifold to your car gas terminal and costs Rs.500/- extra each.
So for measuring Low and High Pressure you need to spend Rs.1000 extra on these. See them here

134A was Rs.400 per can against MRP of Rs.700 last year.

but that investment is worth it, as it saves you from getting ripped by Car AC guys, and works well on Home/office split AC's too.
ghpk is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Air-con: Center vents throwing out warmer air than side vents? 90Horses Technical Stuff 82 7th July 2015 16:03
Air-con sucks up too much power : Maruti A-Star 100kmph Technical Stuff 16 10th October 2013 15:39
Correct refrigerant level of a automobile air conditioner Sang Technical Stuff 6 15th May 2009 10:26
Maruti 800 5 speed aircon refrigerant ramkris Technical Stuff 0 2nd July 2008 17:32
NHC - AC Regrigerant Gas and Refrigerant oil recharge anandpadhye Technical Stuff 12 27th June 2007 12:05


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 08:59.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks