Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 26th February 2017, 06:04   #226
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: VW Polo / Vento DSG: Gearbox Jerking Issue! EDIT: now resolved!

Quote:
Originally Posted by batish View Post
I am planning for Vento TDI DSG. After reading this thread, have few questions in mind:
  1. Does these problems still exist in the 2017 models? Drove the test drive car, it had no jerking issues. However, I did not pay much attention to the upshifting and downshifting in 2nd & 3rd Gear.

2. Can these problems be sorted out under warranty?
    If yes, does the service centre consider and replace the parts without any objection?

3. If it is troubling owning the DSG, shall I go for the manual?
1. The latest software update to the DSG has solved most of the jerking issues. The gearbox now holds gear a little longer and also shifts to 1st gear in very slow crawling traffic to avoid clutch slip as well. This is definitely a good improvement. I have personally experienced this in my Polo GT TSi. However, as this was a very recent update, we have to wait and see how this improves gearbox life in the long term.

2. Even with software updates, occasionally there are some mild jerks (feels like engine braking when you shift to a lower gear). These should be considered as normal operation for the gearbox. However, in extreme cases where there is severe jerk or shudder due to gearbox or mechatronics, I believe VW covers this under warranty without any problem. I have even heard about one or two cases where they replace the mechatronics under goodwill even after warranty. The only inconvenience would be the wait for the components to arrive. My suggestion would be to go for extended warranty. That will give you 4 years of peace of mind.

3. This is something you will have to decide based on your priority. If driving pleasure is the top priority, then nothing can beat the swiftness and smoothness of the DSG gearshifts. In this case you should go ahead with the DSG. If there is an issue with the gearbox, just consider the inconvenience as a price you pay for the fun factor. However, if you want absolute peace of mind and not prepared for any trouble with the DSG, then a manual would be the way to go.

Tough decision indeed Good luck
graaja is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2017, 16:05   #227
Senior - BHPian

Hello everyone!!

I have been following the threads on DSG failures closely and noticed that this still continues till date even after VW claim to have sorted out the issue with a software update or change from synthetic to mineral oil. So it is clear that there is an issue with the DQ200 gearbox which cannot be solved by VW. We all are also aware that this gearbox was recalled in China (due to pressure from customers and the Government) but the same continues to be sold here (due to lack of consumer laws) which is unfair.

Now I am a huge fan of VW & Skoda and our family owns cars only from these two brands (as seen in my signature) but I still believe VW/Skoda are getting away with providing us with an unreliable component in their cars which should not be the case. So if the DSG fails and you are inside the warranty period, you are safe; else you are doomed! It is as if VW has budgeted an amount for DSG replacements under warranty which can possibly be recovered in case there are DSG failures once the car is out of warranty or with the fact that customers opt for extended warranty.

As per the reports (on Quora - https://www.quora.com/Have-the-issue...been-fixed-now) I have read on the internet, they claim is that the DQ200 gearbox had a tendency to fail in hot and humid climates. The reason for this being; sulphur present in the synthetic oil gets deposited as conductive particles which the computer detects as a short circuit and cuts of the clutch and hence the car does not move in 'D' mode. There is also another claim that the oil should be changed every 20k kms as opposed to the 60k kms mentioned in the owner's manual. Do not know if these two points hold true.

We have 03 DSG cars in our family - the Skoda Rapid TDI, the VW Jetta TDI & the Skoda Superb TDI. Yes they are all diesels with the DQ250 gearbox which are less likely to fail but not impossible. However, there are customers and even our own team members who have cars from VW/Skoda which run on the DQ200 gearbox. Some have not had any issues at all, while others have had failures with in months of ownership. As a matter of fact, one our team members have just informed me this morning that the DSG in his VW Polo GT TSI has packed up and his car is under a year old. So if VW claims that the problem has been solved with the change of the oil or software, this DSG failure should not have happened.

So since we know that our Government is not going to do anything about VW giving the proven unreliable DQ200 gearbox to its customers in India, is it not possible that we Team-BHP members get together stand up for this cause to ensure that just like in China, VW also recalls this gearbox and/or gives it customers a permanent solution to this issue?

Last edited by Epic : 25th May 2017 at 16:31.
Epic is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2017, 22:50   #228
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
We have 03 DSG cars in our family - the Skoda Rapid TDI, the VW Jetta TDI & the Skoda Superb TDI. Yes they are all diesels with the DQ250 gearbox which are less likely to fail but not impossible.
The Rapid DSG uses the infamous DQ200 and not the DQ250 like the other premium VW/Skoda Diesels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
As a matter of fact, one our team members have just informed me this morning that the DSG in his VW Polo GT TSI has packed up and his car is under a year old. So if VW claims that the problem has been solved with the change of the oil or software, this DSG failure should not have happened.
Would be good to get more details on this. In general, we have not heard of too many complete failures on the Polo/Vento TSI. There have been issues related to jerks and shudders. Hence would be good to know the details on the failure mentioned above.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2017, 09:52   #229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
The Rapid DSG uses the infamous DQ200 and not the DQ250 like the other premium VW/Skoda Diesels.
Oh my bad. You are right, the Rapid uses the DQ200 gearbox. All the more reason for me to be concerned in this regard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Would be good to get more details on this. In general, we have not heard of too many complete failures on the Polo/Vento TSI. There have been issues related to jerks and shudders. Hence would be good to know the details on the failure mentioned above.
He will be putting up a post on this soon.
Epic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2017, 19:09   #230
BHPian

Dear All,

My GT TSI is 20 months old. And in the last 1 month or so, when I am driving aggressively in S2, or S3, suddenly there is no power, there is no acceleration (nor deceleration). Its is sometimes frightening because you may be committed to an overtaking maneuver.

I am yet to discuss this with my Service Center. Btw I had gone today there for an emergency replacement of brakes. During checkup, he mentioned that there is a leak near the gearbox. So will be taking the cara again next week. Could the leak be related to the jerk?

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
1. The latest software update to the DSG has solved most of the jerking issues.
Hi Ganesh, that is glad to know. Does it solve the kind of problem I talked in the above paragraph? or just the D3->D2 jerk? I had done 1st service in Oct 2016. Has there been a DSG update after that? Do they provide this patch only if you request?
rageshgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2017, 20:39   #231
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rageshgr View Post
Dear All,

My GT TSI is 20 months old. And in the last 1 month or so, when I am driving aggressively in S2, or S3, suddenly there is no power, there is no acceleration (nor deceleration). Its is sometimes frightening because you may be committed to an overtaking maneuver.

Hi Ganesh, that is glad to know. Does it solve the kind of problem I talked in the above paragraph? or just the D3->D2 jerk? I had done 1st service in Oct 2016. Has there been a DSG update after that? Do they provide this patch only if you request?
I think this could be some other issue with the gear box. This is not the regular D3-D2 jerk. I would suggest you take the car to the service center and have them check the gear box thoroughly.
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote