Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 7th June 2015, 18:25   #91
BHPian

Default re: VW Polo / Vento DSG: Gearbox Jerking Issue! EDIT: now resolved!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosaf View Post
After going through the thread , there seems to be a problem mostly with DSG+Petrol combo , again i am saying mostly.

Kindly pardon me for being a layman about DSG technology , but can it be that DSG+Diesel is more reliable than DSG+Petrol? Or vice versa or there is no relation regarding to fuel and DSG reliability?
This is a good intro to the DSG transimission

Last edited by gopa99 : 7th June 2015 at 18:38.
gopa99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2015, 17:42   #92
BHPian

My 2 cents on my ownership of GT TSI. I have driven ~28K Kms in 20 months of ownership and I have been suffering from DSG related intermittent jerking issues.

The jerking happens in around 2-3 gear and while decelerating. The car comes to sudden halt as if someone slammed on the brakes.

Also, 2 -> 3 gear upshift at times is jerky and mostly happens when you lift your foot off the paddle while accelerating from standstill in bumper to bumper traffic.
sahilkhurana is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2015, 21:00   #93
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahilkhurana View Post
Also, 2 -> 3 gear upshift at times is jerky and mostly happens when you lift your foot off the paddle while accelerating from standstill in bumper to bumper traffic.
Mine has only done 3k kms but I have had 2->3 jerks a few times and some 2->1->2 too! (which are 3 times as violent)

To be fair, I only get jerks if I drive hard in D, i.e. the gearbox seems to get confused, not just for that point of time, but also for sometime after that. Meaning after a confusingly hard drive in D, it may jerk in D even with light foot.

Drive with a light foot in D over some time and there would be no jerks (I've done only 3k though).
SLK is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2015, 21:03   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
Mine has only done 3k kms but I have had 2->3 jerks a few times and some 2->1->2 too! (which are 3 times as violent)

To be fair, I only get jerks if I drive hard in D, i.e. the gearbox seems to get confused, not just for that point of time, but also for sometime after that. Meaning after a confusingly hard drive in D, it may jerk in D even with light foot.

Drive with a light foot in D over some time and there would be no jerks (I've done only 3k though).
That is how I have adapted by driving style. I think it is the sudden speed changes which are not liked by the Gearbox
sahilkhurana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2015, 21:58   #95
BHPian

Okay - there is good news and slightly bad news as well. I was told that my mechatronics unit and the clutch pack had been replaced but since the problem persisted, on Friday I got my car back with a brand new software upgrade. This weekend I went for a trip to Panchgani and just returned this evening - so it was a total trip of around 500kms, which was enough to thoroughly test the software.

After initial observations, I was ecstatic - since it seemed like my problem was completely solved. At least the usual gearbox jerking when accelerating in the 4th gear while going uphill did not occur at all. But the jerks did happen a few times during the last few days.

The good news is the software upgrade has certainly contributed towards solving at least 70% of the gearbox jerking issue. Bad news - it's not gone completely yet - although I can say the frequency of its occurrence has drastically reduced.

I spoke to the VW technical advisor and he said my issues have been duly noted. I was informed that they are awaiting feedback on my car and will continue to tweak the software until the issue has been resolved, and while it is extremely painstaking to have my car repeatedly being called to the service centre almost every second week now, I am happy that VW is at least working towards a positive solution. If they do manage to resolve the issue with my car via software alone, then I'm certain VW will begin pushing the software upgrade to all future variants of the 7 Speed DSG sold in India.
ahmadnaik is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2015, 18:05   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ventoman View Post
This is typically when I experienced the infamous 2nd gear jerks twice or thrice so far. All of them had been on instances wherein you would normally accelerate, but can't, due to - maybe a hump or traffic signal upfront or pothole etc.
Do you think it could help use the Techtronic mode when approaching traffic congestions as one could control the shifting manually?
sachinchavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2015, 18:15   #97
BHPian

Quote:

Useful insight, this DSG bloke has memory, which is a good thing if the driving style is consistent as it would feel intuitive, but bad if the style keeps changing leading to him getting confused.

I wonder if one changes from D to S mode for spirited driving would still confuse it? Not if there are two memories, one for each mode. Any idea or experience?
Old 11th June 2015, 21:56   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinchavan View Post
Do you think it could help use the Techtronic mode when approaching traffic congestions as one could control the shifting manually?
Yeah..but then it defeats the purpose of having an automatic!
ventoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2015, 22:09   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Not entirely. It still saves the effort of the clutch. And only when there is traffic congestion.
Old 11th June 2015, 23:38   #100
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinchavan View Post
Not entirely. It still saves the effort of the clutch. And only when there is traffic congestion.
So I started using Tiptronic as I wanted to get used to shifting on my own.

The problems:
  • You can't feel the gear by lever position and have to read the display every-time before shifting
  • The downshifts at 1k rpm are automatic, so its difficult to get used to it. I end up shifting down 2 gears at times
  • In D the car shifts from 1 > 2 very quickly, while in tiptronic you can't shift to 2nd that early
  • In D and S, the gearbox tries to slip both clutches while trying to move, i.e. some slippage in 1st gear and some in 2nd gear. While in tiptronic only the 1st gear clutch is used to make the car move. This is not good, because unlike manual cars automatics slip more in initial movement and if only one clutch is used there, that one will wear out much before the other.
  • There is a slight lag in shifting in initial gears, i.e. 1-2 (more), 2-3. This actually spoils the drive if driving with a light foot.
  • With 7 relatively short gears, there is a lot of shifting required (specially because it downshifts automatically, a bit too soon). And if your left hand is always busy, using the turn indicator becomes a problem. Or even holding the steering with 2 hands is not possible.

The good things:
  • There are no jerks
  • The gearbox does not drag 2nd and 3rd gears like it does in the D mode. Examples, 3rd at 1.9k rpm does not shift to 4th, in D, while in tiptronic you can cruise in the 5th at that speed. Therefore better FE
  • You have much more control on acceleration, you can plan an overtaking better.
SLK is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2015, 08:55   #101
BHPian

Was considering the Polo GT TSI and was doing some research. Yesterday spoke to a an old acquaintance who is a service advisor at one of the VW dealers in Pune. He clearly says it is a long known issue and there is no immediate solution to the problem. Every other owner seems to have experienced it and they just do minor tweaks to it for the time being but they are fully aware of the fact that it cannot be fixed completely. There is no fix coming up either, to his knowledge. He didnt say it, but almost advised me against going in for the GT TSI. He said, he has seen many cars over his 18 yr old career, but this was definitely not normal and there have been cases where people have come in with dents on the rear bumper with vehicles bumping into them from behind due to this :(

Still taking a test drive tomorrow
Paleo is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2015, 10:00   #102
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleo View Post
...but this was definitely not normal and there have been cases where people have come in with dents on the rear bumper with vehicles bumping into them from behind due to this :(
Interesting point. First time hearing about jerking causing rear ending. Can you elaborate more on this? Not clear as to how gearbox jerking can cause rear ending? One of the jerk issues is when the car drops to 2nd under hard braking. The other 2 are in gear jerks and from what I have read here, does not cause the car to lose that much speed to be rear ended.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2015, 12:59   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Interesting point. First time hearing about jerking causing rear ending. Can you elaborate more on this? Not clear as to how gearbox jerking can cause rear ending? One of the jerk issues is when the car drops to 2nd under hard braking. The other 2 are in gear jerks and from what I have read here, does not cause the car to lose that much speed to be rear ended.
I'll check with the guy again for details, but from what I understood, the car jerks heavily while accelerating from slow speeds, and loses power for a second causing the car to slow down. Then Possibly, when the road is clear in front, the guy behind expects you to accelerate but ends up banging you cos you slow unexpectedly
Paleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2015, 19:44   #104
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Quote:
So as I stated in my earlier post, the 2->1->2 jerk, which seems to put the car in 1st while driving at low speed in 2nd and somehow the car does not match the revvs.

Under a normal situation, if you manually shift to 1st from 2nd the engine matches the revvs and there is no jerk, but in this situation, the car almost comes to a standstill before moving again to 2nd. And this can be dangerous. Every-time (3 times in 3.5k kms) I got this jerk, I've looked back and a sigh of relief that the car following was not very close.
SLK is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2015, 12:03   #105
BHPian

Got another appointment for the 18th - and since my 45K service is due anyways- I'm doing both simultaneously. The VW technical guy from the plant will be there as well. They found a few discrepancies in my spark plugs which they say could be causing the vehicle to misfire occasionally. Doesn't sound like that's responsible for the jerking since the jerking issue has been occurring for the past 10K Kms at least- but then again you can never be sure. And it's best to get all other issues out of the way. The technical guy will re-run a diagnostic on the software and perhaps make changes as necessary.

All I can say is in the last few days the issue has rarely occurred- which means most of it has been taken care of by the software. But again- the few times that it did occur, it was definitely noticeable. I'll keep this thread updated after my car returns from the workshop.
ahmadnaik is offline   Reply With Quote